BRM JUNE + DVD

• RMweb Premium

I've now read the magazine, which I thought was excellent. Watched the DVD last night and enjoyed that too. Even though I don't use Photoshop (I have a Mac), I thought the video on processing photos for publication was fascinating and informative, while it would be difficult to explain in print, it was put across brilliantly in the DVD.

Thanks Colin, it was difficult one to pitch knowing how few in number the people may be that such a niche would appeal to and with no idea what their knowledge or experience levels may be. Hopefully even if anyone has no interest in doing such stuff they can at least see how it's done. Plus you have to put up with my best Nigel Mansell drone. :)

Still, it's not like a video I did a few days later related to software where I became more and more exasperated through the ten minutes until I started slamming the mouse on the desk and sighing a lot stopping just short of my best profanities.

" I became more and more exasperated through the ten minutes until I started slamming the mouse on the desk "

Never thought of you in that way Andy !

post-20303-0-16941900-1464376839.jpeg

Yours

M.Trap

• RMweb Gold

I've enjoyed both the video and DVD as usual.

Andy - I learned more from your Photoshop demonstration on the DVD than I've learned at my local camera club in all the years people have been giving talks on Photoshop.

Many thanks,

David

Edited to sort out my typing.

David

Some interesting comments, but not an issue I would necessarily be searching for inspiration in the future. A few errors, not properly checked. In the Headlights article should it not be a MGN loco in first photo, or have I misread it. Another is reference to OO not OO9 for Heljan loco.

With respect to the height of layouts, it is always the ones who prefer layouts higher who complain more.

I always have my layouts on standard tables(less to carry round) although my military ones require me to take a full sized army stretcher to put it on!. I also try to have layout set back a few inches so straying small fingers don't accidentally do any damage.

The only time I used a perspex sheet in front, it was damaged when an older person knocked into it. In the past I have tended to operate layouts from back, but with my 3D printing I want to talk more to people so am starting to look at positioning myself at the front, or certainly at the front of the side, space permitting. No mention of barriers, They tend to favour layouts which are not at table height, and add another obstruction to talking to the public. Children have been seen swinging on them. Stools/small chairs for children bring in other risks, and more often than not it is parents not in total control of their children that are the problem.

I do prefer to be able to sit down when operating, but this does have problem that anyone standing up is above me so I have to look up when talking to the public.

As most of my layouts don't actually need much operation, being on auto shuttle or continuous run, I have time to watch the people viewing. Quite often families with small children. The assumption that operating/shunting attracts more interest from younger ones is not totally true. I find younger children love trains going in and out of tunnels. Even a simple shuttle train coming out of one tunnel and disappearing into another keeps them happy, and I have suggested to some parents that all they need for a small layout is a bookshelf. I wonder f some with layouts at exhibitions are so involved in complex running (assuming there is actually anything moving) that they are not aware of the public, so don't notice their reactions. I am not really talking about the serious modelling public, but the families who may well need more inspiration to get youngsters interested in the hobby.

There is one club up our way, well known, and have had articles on getting youngsters into the hobby, and they have a well scripted plan to involve the public in their layouts. Their layouts are good enough, in fact a lot better than some of the other layouts exhibited which seem to be more for the pleasure of the owner/operator. And their layouts are at low level, and as far as I know no-one complains.

There is a way for tall people who don't like stooping down and that is to carry their own periscope, going down not up. If you expect others to do this with high layouts then is it not reasonable for you to do the same for low level layouts. The other way might be to have some chairs at front so that you can sit down, rest that aching back and watch the trains in comfort!

Might think about making or buying a periscope for those who don't want to stoop.

For my own comfort as an operator I am thinking that a high/bar stall might suit me, assuming I can fit it in the car. It would mean I could sit down and talk to the public. Will have to look for something that folds down easily.

Just been searching for bar stools(I know that might suggest to some joker that I am pub crawling!), but many are only 60cm high, not much higher that normal chair, but found one(well it comes in pairs), which is 75cm to seat height.http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6000262.htm

This might mean I could still sit behind layout and talk to people easily. It is all about adapting, and thinking outside of the box.

• Administrators

Just been searching for bar stools(I know that might suggest to some joker that I am pub crawling!), but many are only 60cm high, not much higher that normal chair, but found one(well it comes in pairs), which is 75cm to seat height.http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6000262.htm

This might mean I could still sit behind layout and talk to people easily. It is all about adapting, and thinking outside of the box.

Tall bar stools are common enough. I've used an Ikea one for many years:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80199214/

Ideal for sitting on and yet being hight enough to talk to people who are standing up. I know a lot of these are already on the exhibition circuit.

Tall bar stools are common enough. I've used an Ikea one for many years:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80199214/

Ideal for sitting on and yet being hight enough to talk to people who are standing up. I know a lot of these are already on the exhibition circuit.

I have been using one for exhibiting for quite some time. i found that by the end of a solid weekend the wooden seat was a bit uncomfortable However a cushion that Ikea sell fixed that. It has a pair of ties attached and has been firmly attached.

I thoroughly recommend the combination.

Reason for edit: Fingers possessing minds of their own.

• RMweb Gold

With respect to the height of layouts, it is always the ones who prefer layouts higher who complain more.

So where does this little nugget of information come from and on what evidence is it based. If this thread is anything to go by the truth is completely the opposite.

Jerry 

So where does this little nugget of information come from and on what evidence is it based. If this thread is anything to go by the truth is completely the opposite.

Jerry

Unfortunately it sounds like another one of those unsubstantiated 'facts' that are occasionally dragged out, dusted down and presented to support a hypothesis and no reference is provided to validate it. In generaI I don't hear complaints at exhibitions about layouts being too high or too low, although obviously people have their own agendas and preferences. I certainly have never had a complaint while exhibiting a layout that it's too high or too low.

Usually at shows there is a mix of heights depending on the intended audience. Those designed for children's interaction are usually low while those for a more mature audience to appreciate (where a lower horizontal viewpoint is helpful) are set higher. Perhaps it is best to accept that and allow those building the layouts to determine the most appropriate height to set it at.

G

• RMweb Gold

That's OK until the moment you take money from people; that changes everything. You wouldn't expect to go to the theatre and only be able to see half the stage.

Peter

What a strange comment, what on earth is the point of exhibiting a layout in such a way that you can only see half of it, it simply doesn't make sense. In over forty years of going to exhibitions I've never seen a layout like that.

Like Graham,  I can only go by personal experience but the overwhelming majority of those who comment on the height of my layouts are positive. This idea that you can only see half the layout is nonsense, the most commonly heard remark is that you get a much better view, that's why its exhibited at that height. In fact when crowds are two or three deep, as they often are, layouts at table top height can only be viewed by the front row, a higher display can be seen by a lot more people.

Jerry 

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, children go to exhibitions too and if they can only see half the layouts because the others are too high they are being short changed.

Peter

Peter, my layouts are not built for children, they are aimed at adult modellers, like myself. If children appreciate them as well then that's a bonus but are you seriously suggesting I should display them to suit probably less than 5% of my audience at the expense of the other 95%.

To follow your analogy through, should we ban all adult theatre and cinema, say anything that will attract a 15+ certificate! simply because children can't get in?

As Phil has said, it is an unsolvable problem. The best we can do is try to ensure that exhibitions have a wide range of exhibits covering all tastes.

Jerry

children go to exhibitions too and if they can only see half the layouts because the others are too high they are being short changed.

r

They're hardly being short changed when at many exhibions they are allowed in free of charge (with an adult) or at the few shows that do charge the child rate is a discounted one. Besides there is usually something provided/available to help them see higher exhibits (such as hop-ups and periscopes).

G

• RMweb Premium

I've been reading my subscription copy of the June issue and reflecting on the discussion last month about the mix of editorial features and advertisements. I wonder what the purpose is for the "New Gear"  pages.  Yes, it's good to be informed of new items, but that can be done through the adverts in the magazine, and the regular e-mail updates now provided by some of the major retailers.  If in the editorial part of the magazine, can we have some critique, even if not a full review, rather than some effusive copy?

Now, I am a satisfied customer of Golden Valley Hobbies, but as an example the item on the Busch land rover from them is, to me, worse than useless.  A Northern Constabulary police land rover could be of interest to me, but the cost seems very high in comparison to similar models from other suppliers. So is this a super, highly-detailed model?  Not according to the picture. The steering wheel appears to be on the left hand side, so I assume that this is merely a HO item decorated in a Scottish livery. Unlike things that vary is size such as trees, should a car be described as HO/OO?  If the wrong scale can be accepted, how easy is it to dismantle, modify and detail and is this worthwhile  compared to repainting an OO model?   The picture also suggests a crude model without number plates and poor printing with part of the "P" in "Police" on the bonnet missing. Is tis an accurate representation of the model or a poor picture?  In an editorial page should there not be some factual advice to  guide readers rather than a meaningless and apparently untrue opinion of "perfect for layouts..."?

I understand that any magazine needs to  satisfy both readers and advertisers but BRM is not a free newspaper where the "news" is only a series of press releases.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the DVD, but one question concerning the DCC speed calculation gear - Howard leaves the tick box selected for HO 1/87, while running the speed test on a 00 Class 08. Won't the calculated scale speed be out by 15%, or am I missing something?

• RMweb Gold

Another piece of German Engineering, why can`t our manufactures come up with this sort of innovation? Being German made there is no OO 1:76 gauge selection, only HO 1:87, so you have take in account this 15% discrepancy. But at a selling price of £105 + shipping costs for the rolling road, an addition set of rollers and the PC/Laptop connection I think that I will leave it to my eye to judge the correct speed.

• Administrators

For those who haven't seen BRM June yet, here's a picture from our 'Slipper Boy' article: "All great model railways tell a story, but Mikkel Funder's superb diorama was inspired by a genuine court case from the early-1900s'.

Click here to find out what else is inside this month's magazine.

post-14186-0-26543800-1465218427_thumb.jpg

If you're interested in subscribing, here's a great offer. Click here.

Guest 40-something

I cant find this issue in any of the stores around me, quite annoyed as my layout is featured in it!!

• Administrators

I cant find this issue in any of the stores around me, quite annoyed as my layout is featured in it!!

Email me at stevec@warnersgroup.co.uk and I'll get a couple of copies sent out to you.

• RMweb Gold

I did enjoy the article on Rockvilla Goods, it's the sort of urban yard scheme with "shunting difficulties" that Iain Rice might come up with & could be transplanted to other regions very easily. I like the idea of moveable magnets for uncoupling too!

My only frustration was that there weren't any pictures of the right hand end parcels depot/loading dock area, but several views around the flour mill (2 with just the locomotive changed!); there were also 2 identical images into the Walford Town article. I know the editors can have difficulty getting a range of pictures, but I often find myself thinking there's an interesting area on the layout plan which hasn't been covered by photos....

there were also 2 identical images into the Walford Town article. I know the editors can have difficulty getting a range of pictures, but I often find myself thinking there's an interesting area on the layout plan which hasn't been covered by photos....

Well spotted, I hadn't noticed that but I tend to not look at the pictures much as I've seen them before. ;) I think that duplicate's an oversight, probably only around 40% of the images taken are used in an article but that's mainly down to presenting the editorial team with alternate views of the same train or area of the layout. I try to make sure all areas are covered by images where possible.

Archived