Any update on this fine layout Chris

Paul R

Paul,

I have been very busy with business. I am working on a second full relief Nissen hut and I think the goods yard, such as it is, would benefit from a grounded van body - perhaps a buckshee Minerva Iron Mink - for goods storage. 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Very well done, was this achieved with an air brush or just weathering powders?

Regards,

Martyn.

Martyn,

I am usually too lazy to crank up the airbrush. I rubbed down the van body with a fibre-glass pencil to fade the markings, followed by some judicious brush painting of rust patches, streaks and marks and finished with weathering powders. For the roof, I painted an undercoat of rust-coloured paint with talcum powder worked in in places. I then applied blotches of Maskol masking fluid and when it had cured painted over with grey paaint. When the paint was set I peeled off the Maskol and finished the roof with powders. 

Regards,

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

Martyn,

I am usually too lazy to crank up the airbrush. I rubbed down the van body with a fibre-glass pencil to fade the markings, followed by some judicious brush painting of rust patches, streaks and marks and finished with weathering powders. For the roof, I painted an undercoat of rust-coloured paint with talcum powder worked in in places. I then applied blotches of Maskol masking fluid and when it had cured painted over with grey paaint. When the paint was set I peeled off the Maskol and finished the roof with powders. 

Regards,

Chris

Thank you Chris, I must admit the use of my air brush is not very appealing especially this time of year, so I will have a go with your methods.

All the best,

Martyn.

It seems to have been an age since I have done any work on Tonfanau Camp, but today I completed this little cameo scene. It is a grounded Minerva GWR gunpowder van body masquerading as a small goods lock-up and is quite unremarkable.

Chris K

It may be quite unremarkable - BUT it is very atmospheric and understated. A first class piece of modelling.

Gerry

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

While I must join with all the others applauding the marvellous weathering of the grounded van body, I am slightly surprised to see a "Gunpowder Van" - Improvised or not - used as a general store. Presumably all the wooden floor and linings would have been stripped out of the van and burnt, in a safe location, and then the metal parts further cleaned to remove all traces of powder.

Can anyone put my mind at rest regarding my niggling doubt?

Regards
Chris H

• RMweb Premium

Although called a Gunpowder Van, it was a general term for the explosives, which weren’t carried “loose”, but packed in protective packing. Things like sticks of dynamite in wrapping and in small wooden crates, so you would never get spillage from powder out of sacks. The unloading staff, specially clothed and booted, would deal with any problems straight away. The inside of the van had a wooden lining secured by gunmetal screws, which was intended to prevent any sparks being struck accidentally, but the lining wouldn’t have been contaminated during its working life, so there wouldn’t be a need to remove it to serve as a store.

• Agree 1

• 9 months later...

Any joy with suitable squaddie hauling trucks yet?

There seems to be another batch of these critters on the market at present:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEDFORD-OYD-MODEL-TRUCK-LORRY-1-43-SCALE-MILITARY-ARMY-GREEN-BRITISH-WWII-IXO-K8/202605659431?epid=19029587816&hash=item2f2c3d0527:g:Z5cAAOSwxphccQos

Bedford.jpg

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Osgood said:

Any joy with suitable squaddie hauling trucks yet?

There seems to be another batch of these critters on the market at present:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEDFORD-OYD-MODEL-TRUCK-LORRY-1-43-SCALE-MILITARY-ARMY-GREEN-BRITISH-WWII-IXO-K8/202605659431?epid=19029587816&hash=item2f2c3d0527:g:Z5cAAOSwxphccQos

Bedford.jpg

Someone is working on a Bedford RL kit for me. I will have about half a dozen and he will probably produce more for general release.

CK

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

I have recently completed building a Parkside-PECO LNER Toad brake van. The photo shows it ex-works alongside its Eastern Region running mate D2241 on Tonfanau Camp temporarily masquerading as an East Anglian RAF station.  The van is a straightforward build, with ballast weight made from lead roof flashing, but the mounting hangars for the footboards are weak as they are on all Parkside brake vans. The loco and van now join the long queue of rolling stock awaiting weathering.   

Regards,

Chris K

LNER TOAD_Parkside-PECO-with D2241.jpg

• Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a Bachmann brass class  04 which has been weathered, numbered, crewed and sound fitted by Jintyman. Mine runs very well, smooth, quiet and powerful. It is used to bring tank wagons into Ramchester. I purchased it from Tower Models at an exhibition - a bit of an impulse buy even though it was on at a very special offer. I am so glad that I took the plunge and flashed my plastic as it looks really nice on the layout.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...