Dimensions of London Trams

Hello:

I am considering a Tram layout, and getting the (very cheap!) Bachmann N gauge trams, but before I decide to model US outline, can anyone point me to a website with the dimensions of London Trams, particularly lengths, as I may be able to convert these models to a London pattern. I just can't find one, and for once Wikipedia is useless.

It would be unusual to find dimensions listed. What may be of help are the 4mm models of Corgi felthams. These are 160mm overall length, 30mm width. I also have 4mm/ft models of an LCC 4 wheeler (like 106 at Crich), these are 29.5mm wide, 115mm long. Finally, I have the saloon only of a 4mm/ft E1, this is 27mm overall width and 89mm long-though that is minus the platforms.

Halve those should give you the N figures. Or, if you want to wrap a measuring tape round some actual trams at Crich, PM me and I can point you at the people to ask nicely.

There were a wide variety of London trams, but to give you some idea of the size, a typical bogie tramcar was between 36 and 40 feet long, 7 foot wide and around 15 feet tall over trolley platform. Most bogies were 4' 6" in wheelbase and the overall wheelbase could be anything from 14' 6" to 20' 7"!

The later distinctive Feltham trams were 40' 4" long, 7' 2" wide and 15' 2" to trolley plank. The bogies were 4' 6" wheelbase and the overall wheelbase 17' 8".

A double deck four wheeler might be around 28 feet long, 6' 10" wide and 15' 6" high, with a 6' wheelbase.

Info courtesy of C S Smeeton and his LRTA books.

Archived