TPE new trains

Whoa!

So, three new fleets in total, the Hitachi bi-modes initially announced, plus CAF EMU sets, plus CAF hauled stock to work with class 68s.

Blimey. 

Blimey indeed!  

I didn't see the LHCS coming - fantastic!!!!

• Like 3

Civity sounds too much like a small, lithe-bodied, mostly nocturnal tropical mammal with bad teeth to me...

Blimey indeed!  

I didn't see the LHCS coming - fantastic!!!!

No yellow ends?

Edited by Talltim

I guess we're talking about a push pull set with a driving trailer, and presumably day coaches following on from the Caledonian Sleeper order.

Having been in Scotland last week shooting 68s on the Scotrail workings, they even make a nice noise. ;)

68007_DRS_Scotrail_EdinburghPrincesStGar

• Like 9

Civity sounds too much like a small, lithe-bodied, mostly nocturnal tropical mammal with bad teeth to me...

No yellow ends?

Or a rather cheap and nasty city car... ;)

If they are doing without yellow ends on the Hitachi sets they may use the same new safety case logic on the new stock - i'd suspect the 68s will retain them though.

I imagine the LHCS will be modern versions of the 4TC, and will be electric hauled in due course. Though one odd thing is the suggestion of 125mph - will 88s go that fast? Pretty certain that 68s can't at present.

If they are doing without yellow ends on the Hitachi sets they may use the same new safety case logic on the new stock 

I think the no yellow ends comment was in response to my 'I didn't see that coming,' rather than a statement of design intent!!!  

• Like 1

I think the 68s are to be used on Middlesbrough services

It says in the link that these are initially for Liverpool-Newcastle.  Which makes no sense as far as I can see, considering that service has the most "under the wires" running of any using the North TP route so would appear to be a natural choice for the bi-modes.  I suspect also they will be slower than the 185s they are replacing, at least south of York. 

• RMweb Gold

I think to be honest they will be faster than the 185s which are about 700hp per car now they have been debated. Quite often a car is switched out.

The 68s are VERY fast sub 20sec to 60 light engine and about 8sec 50 to 70 when accelerating.

I reckon the new coaches will be about 35t so with just 5 on they are going to be fast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there a plan to extend the Liverpool-Newcastle services to Edinburgh?

Replacing just Locos is a cheap upgrade to electric trains.

Kev.

• Like 1

It says in the link that these are initially for Liverpool-Newcastle.  Which makes no sense as far as I can see, considering that service has the most "under the wires" running of any using the North TP route so would appear to be a natural choice for the bi-modes.  I suspect also they will be slower than the 185s they are replacing, at least south of York. 

My understanding is that Liverpool - Newcastle will be loco-hauled from 2018 with the Hitachi bi-modes taking over from December 2019, enabling the 68s and CAF coaches to move to Liverpool - Scarborough and Manchester Airport - Middlesbrough services.

I think the no yellow ends comment was in response to my 'I didn't see that coming,' rather than a statement of design intent!!!  

Well done Tim - I plainly didn't see that coming. ;)

Ref HP - some assumptions and relying on wikepedia stats here, but:

68 = 85t

Coaches = 35t x 5 (using Russ's figure)

Whole train = 260t

HP = 3800

HP/T = 14.62

185 = 168t

(Max) HP = 750x3 = 2250

HP/T = 13.3

So if those are somewhere close it should be a bit more powerful overall configured as a loco + 5, and a lot more powerful on those bits where the 185 derates itself!

If staff were taught to act like railwaymen instead of falsely smiling androids trains can change from diesel to electric in about 5 minutes!

Is that with auto couplers? I think some preserved operations allow 10 for a run round and departure, though for a National Network operator you'd need to allow a bit of slack in case the couplers got out of bed on the wrong side.

• RMweb Gold

Is that with auto couplers? I think some preserved operations allow 10 for a run round and departure, though for a National Network operator you'd need to allow a bit of slack in case the couplers got out of bed on the wrong side.

No its called getting stuck in and getting dirty!

When I was younger and fitter could multi up a pair of locos in less than 30 sec its all technique.

But the instant a train stops , a shunter cuts the loco off, off it goes and another comes on, as the driver changes ends the shunter ties on, the guard is at the back, brake test done, right away off we go!  

• RMweb Gold

Well done Tim - I plainly didn't see that coming. ;)

Ref HP - some assumptions and relying on wikepedia stats here, but:

68 = 85t

Coaches = 35t x 5 (using Russ's figure)

Whole train = 260t

HP = 3800

HP/T = 14.62

185 = 168t

(Max) HP = 750x3 = 2250

HP/T = 13.3

So if those are somewhere close it should be a bit more powerful overall configured as a loco + 5, and a lot more powerful on those bits where the 185 derates itself!

Havent the 185s been permanatly derated to save fuel ?  The 68 seems pretty good on fuel so i reckon it will be cheaper to run

Presumably if 68s are proving useful and reliable, Chiltern might be looking at the LHCS order as well? Don't know how good their mk3 sets are proving to be, but I'd be shocked if they didn't ask the question amongst themselves.

Why would a national operator need longer than a preserved operator? Great Northern splits and joins stock at Cambridge at least every 30 minutes throughout the day. Irritatingly, trains are usually scheduled to spend about 5 minutes just sitting in the platform, presumably in case there's a problem. I can count the number of failed couplings over the last 5 years on one hand, and still have fingers left over.

Paul

• Like 1

Didn't mean a National Network operator would need longer, more that I've seen more complex moves than joining 2 trains take place in 10 mins.

Though, given the financial penalty associated with train delays, if I were a TOC I would be allowing plenty of time for it, to try and eliminate delays from earlier in the journey and to allow for the coupling to not be in a rush.