TPE new trains

• RMweb Gold

slightly off topic but looking on open train times note  a 9m18 & 9e16 what trains are these as they are in yellow cant be checked 

9M18 is the 20.04 Newcastle to Liverpool Lime Street

9E16 was the 16.25 Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle

TPE has started using '9' head codes for the LIV/NCL services effective from the start of the new timetable.

Edited by 4630

TPE has started using '9' head codes for the LIV/NCL services effective from the start of the new timetable.

suspected something like that suspect something to do with the new sets when they come on stream 

They're pretty useful east of Salisbury, though.

It's specifically East of Basingstoke where SWT had an issue, if you have to render urgent assistance to somebody in the unmanned middle unit of train of 3 sets then it involves a line blockage on a seriously busy route.

Though that just was the now-departed SWT's take of course, other routes have been running 8/10/12 car DOO trains on seriously busy routes using trains with no end corridors since BR days with very few eyelids being batted...

Apparently the rakes are semi-permanently coupled with effectively simple bars bolting the vehicles in a rake together. That means, of course, that if one vehicle fails, the whole rake has to be taken out of service - you can't simply shunt a defective vehicle out, leave it in a siding & carry on with the rest of the set.

In these technology based days, it’s not quite so simple (so they say) as the software is configured and coaches talk sad a unit.

Press quoted talk of these being effectively an EMU without the E, so fixed formation unless a DVT gets dented. Any additional coaches would need adding, umbilical attaching and software rebooting similar to the 378 lengthening.

They are not going to be sticking an extra one or two in the rake for Friday evening rush hour that’s for sure

• RMweb Premium

In these technology based days, it’s not quite so simple (so they say) as the software is configured and coaches talk sad a unit.

Press quoted talk of these being effectively an EMU without the E, so fixed formation unless a DVT gets dented. Any additional coaches would need adding, umbilical attaching and software rebooting similar to the 378 lengthening.

They are not going to be sticking an extra one or two in the rake for Friday evening rush hour that’s for sure

The comment I made about extra coaches was after reading an interview with someone from TPE who said that adding extra coaches to the sets, IIRC a maximum of 2, was a possibility and can be done but it would be  semi permanent move.

Jamie

Some of the Liverpool - Newcastle ones are now non stop York to Durham.

The comment I made about extra coaches was after reading an interview with someone from TPE who said that adding extra coaches to the sets, IIRC a maximum of 2, was a possibility and can be done but it would be semi permanent move.

Jamie

Wonder if another set could be coupled in the old 4TC/ 8TC fashion, rather than turning these from a "5TC" to a "7TC".

• RMweb Premium

Wonder if another set could be coupled in the old 4TC/ 8TC fashion, rather than turning these from a "5TC" to a "7TC".

IIRC the limits are the haulage capacity of the locos and platform lengths so probably not except in a recovery situation.

Jamie

I suspect that 5 cars will not be enough. The LCHS sets capacity doesn't match a 6 car 185 and too many of the trains even after 9 PM are full and standing. 7 Cars would be better. I caught the last train to Hull from Leeds at 2211 (that's the last in the old TT!) and there were at least 250 standing.

But this is the UK and we like short trains. 

More like the TOCs don't like paying for longer trains which would travel 90% of the diagram with loads of empty seats but for a couple of hours they are F&S. The only way to change the "short trains" is to change the way track access charges are made to encourage longer trains. Can't see that happening though.

• RMweb Premium

Remind me, how many miles on it's journey from Liverpool to Edinburgh will it be able to do 125mph? 

If you mean via York and the ECML, then the majority of its route will be on tracks passed for 100 - 125mph operation.

Edited by phil-b259

LPL-YRK all (most?) 100 or below and north of Darlington very little 125, though some 110 from what I remember? So not much... I just wonder if our "need for speed" is the way we should be going as it uses more fuel? Money would be better spent straightening out the curvy bits rather than building stock with fast acceleration which use more fuel to compensate? Not sure, just thinking out loud!

• RMweb Premium

LPL-YRK all (most?) 100 or below and north of Darlington very little 125, though some 110 from what I remember? So not much... I just wonder if our "need for speed" is the way we should be going as it uses more fuel? Money would be better spent straightening out the curvy bits rather than building stock with fast acceleration which use more fuel to compensate? Not sure, just thinking out loud!

However sometimes that extra 15mph can make all the difference in pathing terms.

IIRC one of the reasons for wanting rid of the Hethrow Express operations is that removing the 100mph EMUs from the main lines will yield an extra 4 train paths in each direction between Reading and Paddington.

True, but if everyone was doing 110 then would it add more than a few minutes to a journey time north of York to Edinburgh bearing in mind that most of that stretch is less than 125? A lot more time could be saved getting rid of the bends! ;)

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that 5 cars will not be enough. The LCHS sets capacity doesn't match a 6 car 185 and too many of the trains even after 9 PM are full and standing. 7 Cars would be better. I caught the last train to Hull from Leeds at 2211 (that's the last in the old TT!) and there were at least 250 standing.

But this is the UK and we like short trains. 

Lengthening trains is all well and good until you find that some platforms aren't long enough...

Admittedly selective door opening could be used, but that assumes that the travelling public are travelling in the correct coach.

And this is the same travelling public that boarded a cancelled train, even though the platform displays were clearly showing it as cancelled.

• RMweb Premium

And this is the same travelling public that boarded a cancelled train, even though the platform displays were clearly showing it as cancelled.

On the other hand...platform displays are frequently wrong.

There's not too much to lose by getting on a train that's going nowhere and then being chucked off.

There's a lot to lose if you don't get on and only realise the displays are wrong when the doors shut.

Or indeed find all the good seats have been taken by people who ignored the display while you patiently waited on the platform until it became clear that the train was in fact going somewhere.

For something like that, if I'm not told what's happening by a human being I take any display or announcement with a large dose of salt.

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand...platform displays are frequently wrong.

There's not too much to lose by getting on a train that's going nowhere and then being chucked off.

There's a lot to lose if you don't get on and only realise the displays are wrong when the doors shut.

Or indeed find all the good seats have been taken by people who ignored the display while you patiently waited on the platform until it became clear that the train was in fact going somewhere.

For something like that, if I'm not told what's happening by a human being I take any display or announcement with a large dose of salt.

Platform 1 announcement -"the train to Blackpool North has been cancelled." Repeated 2-3 times before train arrived. It was a Liverpool-Blackpool that was terminating at Preston.

Everyone already on arriving train gets off as they had been told on-board.

People get on to cancelled train -  I was on a slightly earlier train into Preston hoping to catch the above one to B'pool and on the approaches to Preston our guard announced at least 3 times that the above service was cancelled. Despite that, people still transferred from my train to the cancelled train. Even after looking at the displays showing a cancelled service!

Even extra announcements on cancelled train (I could hear them from the platform) and people that had got on, stayed on.

They only got off when staff directly told them. And that took awhile because as they got off, more got on!

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Platform 1 announcement -"the train to Blackpool North has been cancelled." Repeated 2-3 times before train arrived. It was a Liverpool-Blackpool that was terminating at Preston.

People get on to cancelled train -  I was on a slightly earlier train into Preston hoping to catch the above one to B'pool and on the approaches to Preston our guard announced at least 3 times that the above service was cancelled. Despite that, people still transferred from my train to the cancelled train. Even after looking at the displays showing a cancelled service!

Even extra announcements on cancelled train (I could hear them from the platform) and people that had got on, stayed on.

They only got off when staff directly told them. And that took awhile because as they got off, more got on!

If you make people travel in cattle truck conditions, they behave like sheep.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you make people travel in cattle truck conditions, they behave like sheep.

Today's generation (or at least it seems a significant number of them) can't think/look/listen for themselves.......

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

True, but if everyone was doing 110 then would it add more than a few minutes to a journey time north of York to Edinburgh bearing in mind that most of that stretch is less than 125? A lot more time could be saved getting rid of the bends! ;)

But then when you spend the money to get rid of the bends, you'll want a train that'll go faster... ;)

Platform 1 announcement -"the train to Blackpool North has been cancelled." Repeated 2-3 times before train arrived. It was a Liverpool-Blackpool that was terminating at Preston.

People get on to cancelled train - I was on a slightly earlier train into Preston hoping to catch the above one to B'pool and on the approaches to Preston our guard announced at least 3 times that the above service was cancelled. Despite that, people still transferred from my train to the cancelled train. Even after looking at the displays showing a cancelled service!

I’m a law-abiding sort, but the constant bombardment by TOCs with idiotic announcements means I now use noise cancelling headphones on train journeys. So I don’t hear their announcements.

But it’s ok, because the disability discrimination regs require them to cater for deaf people, so surely any important announcement will also be displayed on the screens...?

They’ve abused their control of the microphone so thoroughly that they have only themselves to blame if people respond defensively.

Paul

Edited by Fenman