TPE new trains

But it’s ok, because the disability discrimination regs require them to cater for deaf people, so surely any important announcement will also be displayed on the screens...?

An announcement in an emergency telling people to evacuate the train won't. We'll come and check everyone's off if it's safe to do so, though, so you might be OK... 

My biggest issue with headphones is that they are the things the fare dodgers use to try to avoid paying, so expect us to disturb you!

• Like 3

An announcement in an emergency telling people to evacuate the train won't. We'll come and check everyone's off if it's safe to do so, though, so you might be OK... 

My biggest issue with headphones is that they are the things the fare dodgers use to try to avoid paying, so expect us to disturb you!

I can't tell you how much I would rather not wear headphones, enjoying the lazy tranquility of a train journey where I idly watch the countryside zip past the window, enjoying the peace and gentleness. But I'm afraid your employer has decided to destroy that, in the interets of telling me to take my "personal beloingings" with me (what other sort of belongings would I have? And is it ok to leave those behind since the tannoy says I must only take my "personal belongings" with me?).

The pompous announcements in stations are spreading, too - last week warning of slippery floors due to "inclement weather". What actual living human ever uses the word "inclement" in a conversation? How many people whose first language is not English will have learnt what "inclement" means (I speak a bit of French, a bit of Spanish, even a bit of Latin. I can't tell you what the word for "inclement" is in any of those languages).

It's as if they are just shouting at us to tell us how important they are, rather than for our benefit.

So, as your company has sowed, so is it reaping. And I'd suggest your company might have a bit of humility in not slagging off customers for not obeying announcements they may not have heard.

And I have no problem with being disturbed for ticket checks. In fact, I'd welcome more of them - my local TOC doesn't seem to bother much, nine journeys out of ten not having any checks.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 2

"My Company"? I wish i was that rich!! :)

The days of tanoy free journeys have long gone, the went when BR introduced PA systems, also our commitments to helping those less well off than ourselves such as the partially sighted has meant that we need to tell them where we are, adding to the din! I'm glad to hear that you have those good quality headphones that keep the external noises out and the sound of your music in! Whoever invented the phrase "personal stereos" should be shot as most of your fellow passengers don't tend to have decent headsets and all the rest of us can hear is the drone of sound, rather like those DCC sounds from the other side of the hall that you don't want to hear but are forced to hear! ;)

Slippery floor announcements can be put firmly at the the door of those who like to blame every accident they have on someone else, even when it's their fault, NR tell 'em and they can't sue!

Don't remember slagging off any passengers, except for the fare dodgers and it's debatable whether they should be classed as passengers, but Hey! I have broad shoulders so what the heck! 

Lighten up a bit, Paul, it's Modern Society and whilst i agree with most of your winges we just have to live with them! (I'll try not to disturb you, just leave your ticket visible!! ;) )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

TPE has evidently announced that it will no longer be introducing the Mark 3s ‘top ‘n’ tailed’ by class 68s. Probably no great surprise really with the first Novas to be introduced in the Autumn.

I can’t trace a formal press release from TPE, but this seems to be doing the rounds, so I assume it’s not a wind up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ambassador_suit/status/1005128243387731969/photo/1

Edited by 4630

I can't say I'm surprised to hear this. It always felt like TPE were only doing this because the contact said they had to have LHCS in service by a certain date.

The same clause in the contract lead to them running a couple of near pointless MK3/Class 68 service between Manchester Picc and the Airport one evening in December last year.

I don't think it was so much the lack of ramps, but the lack of 'facilities' onboard; toilets and accessible seating bays for example.

I find it interesting TPE didn't adapt 1 coach to satisfy the needs; MK3s are probably the easiest coaches to modify (for seating) but unsure on the toilet matters.

Would be easy enough to do... Perhaps it was the cost of having to put catch tanks on them all? All guesswork, I suspect we'll never know the real reason, though money will be involved no doubt!

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it was so much the lack of ramps, but the lack of 'facilities' onboard; toilets and accessible seating bays for example.

I find it interesting TPE didn't adapt 1 coach to satisfy the needs; MK3s are probably the easiest coaches to modify (for seating) but unsure on the toilet matters.

Not worth doing for the short time they're expected to be in use perhaps? Does seem sad when it leaves good coaches doing nothing though.

• RMweb Premium

TPE has evidently announced that it will no longer be introducing the Mark 3s ‘top ‘n’ tailed’ by class 68s. Probably no great surprise really with the first Novas to be introduced in the Autumn.

I can’t trace a formal press release from TPE, but this seems to be doing the rounds, so I assume it’s not a wind up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ambassador_suit/status/1005128243387731969/photo/1

Typical - just arranged hotel accommodation for August to cover these!

Not worth doing for the short time they're expected to be in use perhaps? Does seem sad when it leaves good coaches doing nothing though.

also have the coaches not been being used elsewhere up until now? have the same coaches suddenly become more disabled unfriendly???

Two 68's arrived York this afternoon, I believe 4 trips to Scarborough Mon-Weds on training runs and then back to Crewe Thursday

Usual disclaimer but is on other forums and mate of mine is doing a walk through tomorrow

Edited by 25901

also have the coaches not been being used elsewhere up until now? have the same coaches suddenly become more disabled unfriendly???

I would suspect that the available stock will be that which does not have accessible toilets. As it stands, the basic MK3 is not that wheelchair friendly without modification, and any stock that has been modified to see it through 2020 is probably not going to off lease.

• RMweb Premium

I would suspect that the available stock will be that which does not have accessible toilets. As it stands, the basic MK3 is not that wheelchair friendly without modification, and any stock that has been modified to see it through 2020 is probably not going to off lease.

I believe that another factor is the capacity of available works to design and build the conversions.  I think that Wabtec at Doncaster are pretty full up doing the Scotrail units.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

With the second set of TPE's Mk5 'Nova 3' rolling stock delivered to Manchester today for commissioning, other evidence of their future introduction to service has recently appeared.

This Stop sign has appeared at Brighouse station over the past week, with another noted on the opposite platform.

post-414-0-62335900-1529089395_thumb.jpg

The 68s and Mk5s won't routinely call at Brighouse or use the Calder Valley line between Manchester and Leeds, but it is a regular diversion route during engineering work (as it is this weekend as it happens) and during perturbations along the Standedge route via Huddersfield. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

That leading bogie looks light on its feet and a little exposed.

I'm sure they have done the sums but I can't help thinking back to that Scotrail derailment when that 47/7 was propelling it's train of mk2's, with a converted mk2 leading, hit those cows.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

That leading bogie looks light on its feet and a little exposed.

I'm sure they have done the sums but I can't help thinking back to that Scotrail derailment when that 47/7 was propelling it's train of mk2's, with a converted mk2 leading, hit those cows.

Kev.

Looks like there’s some sort of deflector in front . The nose is also pretty low . The issue with the ScotRail dbso was at the time there was no deflector in front . They were retrofitted after accident.