TPE new trains

• RMweb Gold

TransPennine Express 68027 'Splendid' leads a Nova 3 set at Heaton Lodge East Junction on 15th August 2019 with 5E31, Liverpool Lime Street To Scarborough.

2016064825_680275E31HeatonLodgeJn15082019-RMweb.jpg.6e3254b834e98e84a94d783c8892ce6a.jpg

645371596_Nova3set5E31HeatonLodgeJn15082019-RMweb.jpg.25ff83075db6a4f0ce52ca27ecda05b7.jpg

Interestingly it was running in the path of 1E31 which as usual would be booked for a 185 and was cancelled due to 'an unknown reason (TZ)'.  I'd like to hope that this service wasn't cancelled and passengers along the route inconvenienced just so that TPE could run 5E31 and thereby avoid the need to negotiate for and pay for a separate path.

159513193_RTT1E3115082019.jpg.09b22b0f0f32c87be5238799f6a2ae9c.jpg

There's a short video of the working here.  Apologies for the wind noise and shaky pictures.  It was blowing a hooley and even using a 'dead cat' cover over the external mic and a weighted tripod didn't help much. 

The combination is scheduled to return as 5F68, 13.44 Scarborough to Liverpool Lime Street.  Timings here for anyone along the route wanting to see it.  And it's running in the path of 1F68, which has also been cancelled. 

Edited by 4630
To add a link to the video.
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

A change of plan meant that I was able to see the return working, 5F68, 13.44 Scarborough to Liverpool Lime Street.   Now with the Driving Trailer leading, here it is passing through Mirfield...

1790762767_Nova3set5F68Mirfield15082019-RMweb.jpg.4a645be2fe25dcc8ec627e2fb40ed9ab.jpg 

... and with 68027 'Splendid' pushing from the rear.

1993369003_680275F68Mirfield15082019-RMweb.jpg.7466beddfc0e4a944b75e438bfae5edb.jpg

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, peanuts said:

saw a driving trailer and a coach being hauled along the M62  westbound on lowloaders this morning just before jn 22 looked quite smart under all the wrapping 

Probably the pair I saw early afternoon heading west on the A55 North Wales coast to Holyhead.

• RMweb Gold

For anyone interested 5E31 and 5F88 are listed in the schedule to run again on 16 August.   The usual disclaimer applies.

5E21 09.56 Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O31899/2019/08/16/advanced

5F68 13.44 Scarborough to Liverpool Lime Street

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O31896/2019/08/16/advanced

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

I wonder if when the services get full again, they will goto the Draft for extra coaches, then surprise the purse holders how cheaper loco hauled coaches are compared to units?

From an interview I read some time ago with someone from TPE they can be expanded to 6 coaches and possibly 7.  After that they run into platform length problems.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw the return working pass our garden this afternoon, an unbranded TPE class 803 went the other way a few mins later.

The 803 was very quiet.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 1

AIUI they also have the option of using a class 88 in future. Chiltern used the same rationale for persisting with the Mk 3s as electrification was on cards at the time, with the intention to replace the 67s with 90s when possible.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

AIUI they also have the option of using a class 88 in future. Chiltern used the same rationale for persisting with the Mk 3s as electrification was on cards at the time, with the intention to replace the 67s with 90s when possible.

Cheers

David

88s will only be viable in electric mode as they don't have enough diesel grunt and even if the DfT extracts its head from its backside wrt to electrification policy it seems unlikely to me that Middlesbrough and Scarborough would be anywhere near the top of any list.  I think you probably need an electric with 73/9 levels of diesel power as a minimum for TPE.  The oft-talked about but not actually seen yet Class 93 might do if it ever sees the light of day.   My extremely road worn, very cracked and usually wrong crystal ball suggests to me that in the medium to long term more IETs for TPE and the hauled stocked going to say TfW for upgrading Manchester/Holyhead to South Wales to a proper IC service is more likely than 88s on TPE.  But as ever we'll see.   

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DY444 said:

My extremely road worn, very cracked and usually wrong crystal ball suggests to me that in the medium to long term more IETs for TPE and the hauled stocked going to say TfW for upgrading Manchester/Holyhead to South Wales to a proper IC service is more likely than 88s on TPE.  But as ever we'll see.   

Or, as you suggest, with additional IETs procured for TPE's North Trans Pennine route, the Class 68s/Mark 5s migrate* to TPE's South Pennines services potentially allowing them to return the class 185s to Eversholt Leasing.

* Subject, of course, to any infrastructure work required by Network Rail.

Edited by 4630

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

If the trans pennine line is electrified then the Newcastle route could switch to the LHCS with a 125mph electric loco, and the bi-modes could switch to Scarborough and other part electric routes. In theory, at least.

It could but by the time there is continuous electrification from York to Manchester that would mean either salvaging sufficient useable locomotives from whatever is left from Class 91 at that time (with overhauls, re-engineering or whatever as required) or introducing a new design with all the risk that entails.  If I were TPE in that position I'd be looking at 125mph emus and still getting rid of the LHCS. 

If there is a continuous electrified route from Stalybridge to Leeds then it won't use old locos it will be more IET derivatives or something else completely if it is a new high speed route.

However, at the moment as we have nice bi-mode trains and acceleration/top speed is not of the essence on that part of the route there is no real urgency for the DFT to spend a lot of money when the big prize may be a new route.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

If there is a continuous electrified route from Stalybridge to Leeds then it won't use old locos it will be more IET derivatives or something else completely if it is a new high speed route.

However, at the moment as we have nice bi-mode trains and acceleration/top speed is not of the essence on that part of the route there is no real urgency for the DFT to spend a lot of money when the big prize may be a new route.

A new route through the Pennines? in whose lifetime?

Every green ,tree hugger and professional objectors will try to delay  it.

Would it not be greener and not lay waste to huge swathes of countryside and instead make the best of what we have?

Besides no one seems to agree on what cities HS3 will serve. The PM says only Leeds and Manchester. What happened to Hull etc?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

It seems to have died at Eccles.

Cheers

David

Looks like, behind the scenes, someone is trying to maintain that 5E21 arrived right time at Scarborough at 12.39.  That's unlikely given that it was 53L at Orsdall Lane Junction !

I have a note that it passed Manchester Piccadilly 'off route' at 11.56, so I guess it was heading, in disgrace, to Longsight. 

Realtime Trains | 5E31 0956 Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough.pdf

Edited by 4630

50 minutes ago, paulbb said:

A new route through the Pennines? in whose lifetime?

Every green ,tree hugger and professional objectors will try to delay  it.

Would it not be greener and not lay waste to huge swathes of countryside and instead make the best of what we have?

Besides no one seems to agree on what cities HS3 will serve. The PM says only Leeds and Manchester. What happened to Hull etc?

I don't know, but no-one is going to invest in the current Leeds route whilst the political contingent is rabbiting on about a high speed one.

Maybe they work on jam tomorrow shuts up the conversation about making the Standedge route all electric.

But they do need to decide one way or another, being pragmatic bi-mode does solve the current issues on the route where electrification is difficult and some wiring is better than no wiring.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I don't know, but no-one is going to invest in the current Leeds route whilst the political contingent is rabbiting on about a high speed one.

Maybe they work on jam tomorrow shuts up the conversation about making the Standedge route all electric.

But they do need to decide one way or another, being pragmatic bi-mode does solve the current issues on the route where electrification is difficult and some wiring is better than no wiring.

Being a tad cynical (Not good in one so young.....) I would say wait for the Tory Party Conference and a slew of announcements with no mention of how they are going to be paid for.

Jamie

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Being a tad cynical (Not good in one so young.....) I would say wait for the Tory Party Conference and a slew of announcements with no mention of how they are going to be paid for.

Jamie

Will be an interesting conference season for all the parties - do they talk about the future or the tactics of getting to the end of October - we may be in a new coalition before the end of September with all sorts of connotations for political shifts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Strong rumours, from several sources, that Monday 26th August will see TransPennine Express introduce the first class 68 and Mark 5 set to passenger service on the Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough service.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Strong rumours, from several sources, that Monday 26th August will see TransPennine Express introduce the first class 68 and Mark 5 set to passenger service on the Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough service.

And these workings have been popping up on various lists.

Monday - Saturdays
1F84 0555 Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime Street (0632)
1E25 0656 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough (0940)
1F25 1041 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street (1332)
1E39 1356 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough (1640)
1F76 1744 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street (2033)
1J53 2056 Liverpool Lime Street - Stalybridge (2153)

Sunday
1E29 0856 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough (1140)
1F66 1241 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street (1532)
1E43 1552 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough (1839)
1F80 1944 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street (2232)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The rumours were not completely accurate!

68027 and Mk 5 set 09 has been introduced to passenger service today.

It should be working all day on the following diagram;
0656 off LIV
1041 SCA-LIV 
1356 LIV-SCA
1744 SCA-LIV 
2056 LIV-SYB

The usual disclaimer applies of course