TPE new trains

1 hour ago, 4630 said:

The rumours were not completely accurate!

68027 and Mk 5 set 09 has been introduced to passenger service today.

It should be working all day on the following diagram;
0656 off LIV
1041 SCA-LIV 
1356 LIV-SCA
1744 SCA-LIV 
2056 LIV-SYB

The usual disclaimer applies of course

just heard  1E25 going up the valley   through Heyrod this morning didnt sound like the normal dmu   ?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And it accelerates way better than a class 185 too.

I think the drivers will enjoy these as well as the passengers once they’ve settled down and all the initial ‘new train niggles’ are resolved. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And before anyone asks - I know it’s subjective, but according to my ‘ar$e test’, the seats in standard class are comfortable. Firm, but comfortable and appear to have more padding than say a class 800. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

35 minutes ago, 4630 said:

And before anyone asks - I know it’s subjective, but according to my ‘ar$e test’, the seats in standard class are comfortable. Firm, but comfortable and appear to have more padding than say a class 800. 

Is that your flask in the picture or were there other enthusiasts checking out the seats today?  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

:laugh_mini:

Well spotted, but the flask isn’t mine. No jam sandwiches in my bag either. Just a healthy bottle of water and a bag of cashews. 

Unsurprisingly there are a fair few enthusiasts on board, but the train is mostly full of families heading to Scarborough to enjoy todays sunshine on the beach. 

Edited by 4630
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As I posted earlier today, it should be on this today;

0656 off LIV
1041 SCA-LIV 
1356 LIV-SCA
1744 SCA-LIV 
2056 LIV-SYB

11 minutes ago, 4630 said:

:laugh_mini:

Well spotted, but the flask isn’t mine. No jam sandwiches in my bag either. A healthy bottle of water and a bag of cashews. 

Unsurprisingly there are a fair few enthusiasts on board, but the train is mostly full of families heading to Scarborough to enjoy todays sunshine on the beach. 

Wonder how many arrived expecting a cramped 185 and got this.  It's not often you say revolutionised with the railways today but it probably will make a massive difference on these services once all the Nova trains are on stream.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the first public service of a class 68 and Mark 5 arrived without incident at Scarborough.

B92F0773-D5C1-416F-9F3B-FE984BD913E4.jpeg.754ca209784245d0661226eeb70aa533.jpeg

From a point of accuracy, the late arrival was due to a signalling problem earlier in the journey apparently. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

For all the flack that CAF have had for this, the Nova 3 was still the first new TPE fleet to enter passenger service (albeit later than planned).

So which will be 2nd, Nova 2 or 3...

IIRC the Transpennine Express (TPE) class 350/4 used from Manchester to Glasgow are due off lease by the end of this year, so there is a sense of urgency in getting the Nova 2s accepted for service and the crews trained, I guess by the December timetable change.

The Nova 1 (class 802/2) are also running daily test diagrams from Heaton T&RSMD, but from my observations there hasn't been a lot of TPE driver training yet over the route for which they are eventually intended.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

well managed to catch the 1356 ex limes street as it crossed saddleworth  viaduct on its way east  they do make a lovely noise whilst pushing up the hill and i think the whole livery works quite well quite a handsome set ._DSC2330.jpg.708fe6274a9491efd9399553a4e4645b.jpg

_DSC2329.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Day 2 of public service should see 68027 and Mark 5 set TP09 work on the following diagram.  The usual disclaimer applies;

1E29 08.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough (11.40)
1F66 12.41 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street (15.32)
1E43 15.52 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough (18.39)
1F80 19.44 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street (22.32)

then

5H93 22.52 Liverpool Lime Street - Longsight Car. M.D.

There's been a change in orientation of the consist since yesterday as the class 68 is now at the Scarborough end.

Here's 1E29 passing Bradley Junction, Huddersfield this morning.

1718257543_680271E29BradleyJn25082019-RMweb.jpg.f579c954133ee74a8a007d74a477dae1.jpg

235873585_Nova3setTP091E29BradleyJn25082019-RMweb.jpg.99bfcfbad057630a20ce69440bcd1371.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

TPE don't have a "London End", like XC. So will their trains be a lucky dip as to which end is which, or will they try to have coach A at the north/ south/ east/ west end of the train?

TPE has already altered the information on the platform display at Huddersfield to show a 5 carriage train and to give an indication of the orientation.

I assume they've done the same at the others that they 'own' and arranged for the changes at those Network Rail operated stations where their services are likely to call, eg Leeds. 

1329224902_PIatformDisplay-5carriagesHuddersfield24082019-RMweb.jpg.0dc0e5a303341ee6bc7bd8a472d3ae5e.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

TPE don't have a "London End", like XC. So will their trains be a lucky dip as to which end is which, or will they try to have coach A at the north/ south/ east/ west end of the train?

I imagine that the orientation of the sets will largely depend on where the depots are.

In the final years of BR when fixed sets wth DVTs were used, trains from Euston and Kings Cross used to always have the loco on the country end of the set. This was because the main loco depots (Willesden / Bounds Green)  were located a short way down the line so if a loco became defective it simplified swapping it out for a fresh one. On the GEML however there wasn't a London depot - the locos were maintained at crown Point in Norwich, so having the loco at the buffer stops at London (and therefore it being at the station throat end at Norwich) made for easy loco swoops.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Yes, 68019-68032 inclusive are in TPE livery.

Thank you for the reply and for confirming. I really appreciate it. 

I suspected that they all were but I wasn't 100% sure on 025 and 029. 

I ask because I was considering getting the Dapol DRS Basic liveried 026 in OO Gauge but I might not because the livery was only worn for such a short period of time during 2017 and 2018.