TPE new trains

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I ask because I was considering getting the Dapol DRS Basic liveried 026 in OO Gauge but I might not because the livery was only worn for such a short period of time during 2017 and 2018. 

Depends on where you plan to run your 68, and what with.

For example, if you're modelling the current scene and intending buying an Accurascale Mark 5 set and want to be accurate, then you'll really need a TPE liveried 68.  

There are a few photos floating around of TPE liveried 68s working various freight duties over the past year or so.  Not that I'm aware on any of the lines that I usually photograph, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I suspected that they all were but I wasn't 100% sure on 025 and 029. 

Here's 68025 'Superb' at Colne Bridge, Huddersfield on 31st July 2019 working 5M56, 09.32 Scarborough to Longsight.

2130448555_680255M68ColneBridge310720191-RMweb.jpg.845aeaa58a5101b39604906dacaa6272.jpg

I don't have a photo of 68029 - yet.  I'm sure it'll turn up before long though!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 4630 said:

Depends on where you plan to run your 68, and what with.

For example, if you're modelling the current scene and intending buying an Accurascale Mark 5 set and want to be accurate, then you'll really need a TPE liveried 68.  

There are a few photos floating around of TPE liveried 68s working various freight duties over the past year or so.  Not that I'm aware on any of the lines that I usually photograph, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, 4630 said:

Here's 68025 'Superb' at Colne Bridge, Huddersfield on 31st July 2019 working 5M56, 09.32 Scarborough to Longsight.

2130448555_680255M68ColneBridge310720191-RMweb.jpg.845aeaa58a5101b39604906dacaa6272.jpg

I don't have a photo of 68029 - yet.  I'm sure it'll turn up before long though!

Thank you for the replies. Of the 68s released by Dapol so far I have DRS, ScotRail, Chiltern & the TPE 68019. I am planning to buy an Accurascale MK5 coach pack to run with 68019, but as far as I am aware 68026 has never run with TPE MK5s in DRS Basic livery. This would mean that although 026 is now a TPE loco it wouldn't be prototypical to have it running with MK5s whilst in DRS livery. A shame really because the smaller, basic livery in DRS base blue is quite nice. Although 026 did work various flask trains and I'm sure the Northern Belle whilst in DRS basic livery, so it would be compatible in that livery to run with some other stock I have. 

Very true. I have seen some photos of 019 which Dapol have produced, working 6U76 & 6U77 with IOA wagons and I'm pretty sure this particular one has worked the Crewe/Toton/Bescot engineers as well so as you say their work has been varied recently. 

That's a lovely photo of 025. I have probably liked it and forgot it was in TPE livery haha. I certainly thinking the TPE 68s with MK5s and DT make a very smart and brightly coloured train. I am looking forward to venturing out in the future to see them once more services and sets are in use, in due course. 

On 24/08/2019 at 18:03, 4630 said:

Here are a few more of 1E39, 13.56 Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough with the Driving Trailer of Nova 3 set 09 leading and 68027 Splendid on the rear, at Heaton Lodge Junction.

58367768_DTTP091E39HeatonLodgeJn240820191-RMweb.jpg.c86c102cca1eb782409714c7fc0f25d4.jpg

934661206_680271E39HeatonLodgeJn240820192-RMweb.jpg.eb12a5e1b25f2c222be6f55399d1713f.jpg

2127546564_680271E39HeatonLodgeJn240820193-RMweb.jpg.bd0c59dbfc82e1cfab03903794b173b9.jpg

1971819791_680271E39HeatonLodgeJn240820194-RMweb.jpg.812b6c7bc4568ffccd956f1b8b93811a.jpg

Hi Russ

Were you that man standing there using a pole for the photography? I just noticed it as we went past and thought that could be a cool shot :sungum:

Thoroughly enjoyed the ride on it on Saturday and it was nice to see the TPE staff mixing well with customers and enthusiasts alike. In fact they suggested for the best class 68 sound you need to stand between vestibules!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Hi Russ

Were you that man standing there using a pole for the photography? I just noticed it as we went past and thought that could be a cool shot :sungum:

Thoroughly enjoyed the ride on it on Saturday and it was nice to see the TPE staff mixing well with customers and enthusiasts alike. In fact they suggested for the best class 68 sound you need to stand between vestibules!!!!!!!!

Hi Adrian.

No I was standing on the footbridge, but I had a chat with the guy who was using the pole.  From the images that he showed me on the camera it certainly allows photos to be taken that have a very different perspective.

I was impressed with my journey from Huddersfield to Scarborough and back on Saturday morning too.  Always a pleasure to actually hear the noise of big diesel engine working.  The sound reverberated quite nicely from the walls of Morley tunnel and the cutting between Marsh Lane Junction, to the east of Leeds station and Neville Hill West Junction.      

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

I doubt it'll be overtaxed on the TPE 5 car sets. Chiltern's 7 car sets might work them a bit more.

I doubt they'll be overtaxed either, but the climb eastwards from Stalybridge to Standedge Tunnel (8 miles of mostly 1 in 125) and the shorter climb west from Leeds to Morley Tunnel (4 miles of varying between 1 in 84 and 1 in 200) should at least provide them with a little bit of challenge.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zomboid said:

68s do have a nice sound. I've only heard them light engine, but even then it's clear that it's not an over-silenced engine.

I doubt it'll be overtaxed on the TPE 5 car sets. Chiltern's 7 car sets might work them a bit more.

Considering a 68 is 1.15-1.4 Deltics (depending on how you do the calculation) I don't think 10-12 cars would tax them that much either. But I would be interested to hear that thrash.

In fact it would be interesting to see what a 68 could actually do. 55019 was claimed to have the fastest ever loco-hauled timing from KX to York in 1999 with a start to stop average speed of 91mph. I wonder if a 68 with a similar load could crack the 2 hours?

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Putting aside the fact that mark 4 sets are loco hauled which makes a nonsense of that claim... Maybe it meant diesel loco (and that requires us to consider HSTs as DMUs, which is arguable either way, though the power cars look very much like a locomotive to me).

I suppose it depends on how much the Deltic slowed down on the hills and how much a 68 would, since 55s and 68s are both 100mph locos, so it'll be how much time is spent in the 80s and 90s that determines it.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, 4630 said:

I doubt they'll be overtaxed either, but the climb eastwards from Stalybridge to Standedge Tunnel (8 miles of mostly 1 in 125) and the shorter climb west from Leeds to Morley Tunnel (4 miles of varying between 1 in 84 and 1 in 200) should at least provide them with a little bit of challenge.

I made a point of catching the first class 68 to climb the Lickey incline:

dsc_2014_12_06-1197.jpg

68014 tackles the Lickey with ease Yuletide Yorkshire Explorer

Biggest non-event  ever, the thing just breezed on up like the climb wasn't there!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2019 at 19:26, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for the replies. Of the 68s released by Dapol so far I have DRS, ScotRail, Chiltern & the TPE 68019. I am planning to buy an Accurascale MK5 coach pack to run with 68019, but as far as I am aware 68026 has never run with TPE MK5s in DRS Basic livery. This would mean that although 026 is now a TPE loco it wouldn't be prototypical to have it running with MK5s whilst in DRS livery. A shame really because the smaller, basic livery in DRS base blue is quite nice. Although 026 did work various flask trains and I'm sure the Northern Belle whilst in DRS basic livery, so it would be compatible in that livery to run with some other stock I have.

A case for "if this had happened..." Had to hire out the loco for some reason, slightly different history and so on - are there any circumstances where your DRS liveried 68 could've possibly ended up on the train, even if it hasn't happened in reality? Plenty of layouts do similar for 60 years ago, no reason why you shouldn't do the same for a current image layout (if you want to of course!)

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2019 at 19:26, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

A case for "if this had happened..." Had to hire out the loco for some reason, slightly different history and so on - are there any circumstances where your DRS liveried 68 could've possibly ended up on the train, even if it hasn't happened in reality? Plenty of layouts do similar for 60 years ago, no reason why you shouldn't do the same for a current image layout (if you want to of course!)

As Reorte says, don't box yourself in because it hasn't happened - it could happen, TPE are leasing from DRS, no reason that a DRS livery loco couldn't haul a TPE Mk5 set.

Boxing yourself in can make you miserable, I know, I've been doing it for years.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Re the 68s doing stuff in an exciting way, I think it was early last year (?) that a pair came through 36E going north on twelve and opened up on approach at the foot of Gamston; truly wonderful sound and acceleration was impressive. Wish I had seen them going south later that day (if they did?). I reckon one could equal a Deltic, if not exceed the timings if allowed...………….yes, really!

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It sounds as though one or two forum members have ridden on the Mk. 5s and I wondered what impressions people had got of the interiors etc.?  I expect to have a ride myself soon, but a contributor to a Faceache group I'm in (for enthusiasts not the general public) didn't sound too impressed, citing hard seats / poor seat shape and various rattles and bangs - seems to be a theme with new trains, unfortunately! - but nobody has commented adversely on here.  I had a ride on one of the new Northern EMUs (also built by CAF) a little while ago and didn't find anything to moan about; in fact pretty impressed!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 31A said:

It sounds as though one or two forum members have ridden on the Mk. 5s and I wondered what impressions people had got of the interiors etc.?  I expect to have a ride myself soon, but a contributor to a Faceache group I'm in (for enthusiasts not the general public) didn't sound too impressed, citing hard seats / poor seat shape and various rattles and bangs - seems to be a theme with new trains, unfortunately! - but nobody has commented adversely on here.  I had a ride on one of the new Northern EMUs (also built by CAF) a little while ago and didn't find anything to moan about; in fact pretty impressed!

I find the people on Facebook generally want to moan, if the Manchester Railways, Railway Photography Group (and it's filthy cousin) The REAL Railway Photography Group are anything to go by.

I don't comment anymore, just look at the pics and move on, some of the utter tosh in the comments amazes me,

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Reorte said:

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

As Reorte says, don't box yourself in because it hasn't happened - it could happen, TPE are leasing from DRS, no reason that a DRS livery loco couldn't haul a TPE Mk5 set.

Boxing yourself in can make you miserable, I know, I've been doing it for years.

Thank you for the replies. That's very true. I suppose 026 in DRS Basic does have some potential to work with MK5s. I have just searched "DRS Blue Class 68" on Flickr and I have found some photos of some plain DRS base blue 68s and the Basic livery on the base blue 68s working training runs with the Virgin Trains coaches. I have also found some other photos of 68s in those two liveries stabled at York working light engine training runs. So technically Basic liveried 68s have worked with TPE stock as the Virgin Trains coaches were used for training purposes before the MK5s arrived. Fair enough they are two different coaches and in different liveries but still close enough for the purpose of model trains. The Basic liveried 68s have also worked with JNAs, IOAs, intermodal wagons and BR Blue & Grey MK2s. So this model by Dapol, even though the livery was short lived actually has plenty of potential stock to run with. Also 033 and 034 in DRS livery will be used to haul the MK5s, so whilst this isn't the same livery as the 026 Dapol model, it's still a DRS livery hauling the coaches so fairly prototypical. You're both right it's good to be adventurous and do things differently sometimes, especially when even in reality their can be some very very wacky and interesting workings. Thank you for all of your help. 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for the replies. That's very true. I suppose 026 in DRS Basic does have some potential to work with MK5s. I have just searched "DRS Blue Class 68" on Flickr and I have found some photos of some plain DRS base blue 68s and the Basic livery on the base blue 68s working training runs with the Virgin Trains coaches. I have also found some other photos of 68s in those two liveries stabled at York working light engine training runs. So technically Basic liveried 68s have worked with TPE stock as the Virgin Trains coaches were used for training purposes before the MK5s arrived. Fair enough they are two different coaches and in different liveries but still close enough for the purpose of model trains. The Basic liveried 68s have also worked with JNAs, IOAs, intermodal wagons and BR Blue & Grey MK2s. So this model by Dapol, even though the livery was short lived actually has plenty of potential stock to run with. Also 033 and 034 in DRS livery will be used to haul the MK5s, so whilst this isn't the same livery as the 026 Dapol model, it's still a DRS livery hauling the coaches so fairly prototypical. You're both right it's good to be adventurous and do things differently sometimes, especially when even in reality their can be some very very wacky and interesting workings. Thank you for all of your help. 

Nothing is quite as wacky as real life!

• RMweb Premium

At York yesterday a TPE public service to Liverpool from Scarborough with 68, went out of Platform 3 like a roaring beast at about 1145/50 I think it was. What a sound; made me want to take on one of those services just to experience the noise. Lovely.

Edited by Mallard60022
Speeling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2