TPE new trains

On 30/08/2019 at 03:35, DavidB-AU said:

Considering a 68 is 1.15-1.4 Deltics (depending on how you do the calculation) I don't think 10-12 cars would tax them that much either. But I would be interested to hear that thrash.

In fact it would be interesting to see what a 68 could actually do. 55019 was claimed to have the fastest ever loco-hauled timing from KX to York in 1999 with a start to stop average speed of 91mph. I wonder if a 68 with a similar load could crack the 2 hours?

Cheers

David

On 30/08/2019 at 08:39, Zomboid said:

Putting aside the fact that mark 4 sets are loco hauled which makes a nonsense of that claim... Maybe it meant diesel loco (and that requires us to consider HSTs as DMUs, which is arguable either way, though the power cars look very much like a locomotive to me).

I suppose it depends on how much the Deltic slowed down on the hills and how much a 68 would, since 55s and 68s are both 100mph locos, so it'll be how much time is spent in the 80s and 90s that determines it.

I was on that train, the infamous 'Deltic Day' with three Deltics running on the ECML. That 91mph average speed start to stop included being brought to a stand for signals outside York for about 4 mins. If it was not for that we would have come in under two hours, as it was we were disappointingly about 2 mins over.  The timings were for class 90 + 8, but we had 9 on.  At the time 19 was known as the rocket ship, as she was clearly developing more than the rated 3,300bhp.  When the DPS later made their own load bank out of ex class 86 brake resistors, it was found that one of the power units was running just shy of 2,000bhp!  In the interests of preservation it was adjusted back down to 1,650bhp...  Basically the loco took the train up to 100mph and stayed there, the driver was quite careful not to exceed 100mph (unlike the driver of 9 the same day who also managed a SPAD as well!)  It may have slowed a couple of mph below 100 on some of the hills, but never got  in to the 80s. I suspect the performance under the circumstances would have been very close to that of a 68.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Caught a brief glimpse of the 1041 Scarborough-Liverpool  through Ashton-under-Lyne yesterday. I do#n normally pay much attention to the trains, one 185 is pretty much like another; it was the noisy diesel that gave it away. Looked, and sounded, most impressive!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is the loco always at the same end? (assume it would be, that there's nothing on the route and / or wherever they go for maintenance that'll turn them, and all the trains the same way around but don't know for sure)

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Gold

When the 68s are used on the NENTA charters which are 10 to 12 mk2s with a dead 68 on the back they sit at 100mph for mile after mile especially on the ECML , sound absolutely fantastic when going through tunnels 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Is the loco always at the same end? (assume it would be, that there's nothing on the route and / or wherever they go for maintenance that'll turn them, and all the trains the same way around but don't know for sure)

On the one I saw yesterday, the loco was at the Liverpool end. Is that the 'correct' way?

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I seem to recall before they were introduced that there was talk of the loco being at the Scarborough end, but that hasn't always been borne out during my observations.  And certainly wasn't on the first public service that I was on to Scarborough where the loco was on the rear, ie the Liverpool end.  So far the loco has been either at the Liverpool end or the Scarborough end with no discernible pattern.

The routes around Manchester do give the opportunity to re-orient the class 68 and Mark 5s relatively easily though, subject to paths being available.

Edited by 4630
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, was planning on driving to Wakefield this weekend, maybe I'll have a think about taking a slightly roundabout train route to see if I can give these a try. edit: doesn't look likely.

Edited by Reorte

5 hours ago, 62613 said:

On the one I saw yesterday, the loco was at the Liverpool end. Is that the 'correct' way?

of the ones i have seen so far this seems to be " normal " bro .caught  a view of them two or three times climbing up to standage tunnel through slawit and milnsbridge whilst toing and froing with work 

• RMweb Gold

They are very loud especially when the ETH is on, very nice sound however. 

When they were at Norwich one was stood for a while on a cold night so I set what is called night guard...... about three in the morning it started itself up but to warm itself it put itself into load bank mode where the alternator powers against the dynamic brake resistance apparently the noise is the station was incredible but not really appreciated by local residents so we don't do that anymore 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2019 at 10:29, black and decker boy said:

Talk elsewhere that TPE prefer the loco at the Lpl end so not inside the trainshed at Scarborough.

vibration being mentioned but I’ve no idea how true it is

1F60 was loco at Scarborough end just now at York.

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:29, black and decker boy said:

Talk elsewhere that TPE prefer the loco at the Lpl end so not inside the trainshed at Scarborough.

vibration being mentioned but I’ve no idea how true it is

It is so a loco can be taken off to go to the new fuel point/maintenance leaving the set in the station, plus there is no loco release there!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Typical ,

I had a spin out on the motorbike on Thursday to York station.

And just missed a Class 68 going out light, to Scarborough, but never saw a Nova 3 or a 800.

But got a nice vid of the double headed class 56s coming through.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2019 at 13:23, russ p said:

They are very loud especially when the ETH is on, very nice sound however. 

When they were at Norwich one was stood for a while on a cold night so I set what is called night guard...... about three in the morning it started itself up but to warm itself it put itself into load bank mode where the alternator powers against the dynamic brake resistance apparently the noise is the station was incredible but not really appreciated by local residents so we don't do that anymore 

just heard 1E23 climbing up the valley from  Stalybridge sounded glorious clearly working hard very reminisent of the Deltic "hum " of the late 70s on an eastbound peninne 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw my first set powering through Stalybridge last Sunday, the 8th of September 2019, at 5 minutes to 10 in the morning. (This was my first chance to post it.)

SuperbAtStalybridge.png.019b4abf4318723dd4acf47b8077f781.png

It was a "Superb" sight as the train sped past the "Buffet" taking advantage of the recent remodelling of the junction with its increased line speed.

It did rather make Stalybridge feel like a mainline station again.

Unfortunately, the increased junction speed has demoted Stalybridge to an "all stoppers" station only with all the interesting trains/destinations whizzing on by.

This view wont be around for long as the lineside clearance and marking-out of electrification masts continues apace.

Kev.

• Like 12

Although the stats predate the introduction of the Novas, ExaminerLive reports that TPE was running at 102% of peak capacity into Leeds in July. Not sure if this means full and standing or the handful of additional services running with 6 car 185s. The additional capacity is definitely needed.

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Working 1F60, 09.42 Scarborough to Liverpool Lime Street* on 21st September 2019, 68026 Enterprise and Mark 5a set TP11 head west between Thornhill LNW and Mirfield East Junctions.

1016787856_680261F60Ravensthorpe21092019-RMweb.jpg.918cb17808612b830da0807fbe2b802d.jpg

2065861630_TP111F60Ravensthorpe21092019-RMweb.jpg.3435a1f1395581e4780c004eaac1d919.jpg

* The working was actually terminated at Manchester Victoria 'due to a problem with the traction equipment'. 

• Like 8