TPE new trains

• RMweb Gold

Yet to receive its TransPennine Express livery, Nova 1 802216 passes Colne Bridge near Huddersfield with 5M07 (running in the path of 9M07), 09.02 Newcastle to Liverpool Lime Street.  Presumed to be a driver/crew training run.

577588194_8022165M07ColneBridge101020191-RMweb.jpg.444f6d1ff8e9e1d261f264e4f5ee711e.jpg

807554147_8022165M07ColneBridge101020192-RMweb.jpg.4797f3723f56bd9ac1e61f46979bd6ff.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

68027 photographed last Sunday just after 11.00, on a Liverpool (started at Manchester Victoria due to line flooding) to Scarborough service in horrible weather at Huddersfield whilst waiting under the train shed till pubs opened.

I was expecting it to be coming in the other direction at 11.22!

20190929_111620.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 4630 said:

Yet to receive its TransPennine Express livery, Nova 1 802216 passes Colne Bridge near Huddersfield with 5M07 (running in the path of 9M07), 09.02 Newcastle to Liverpool Lime Street.  Presumed to be a driver/crew training run.

577588194_8022165M07ColneBridge101020191-RMweb.jpg.444f6d1ff8e9e1d261f264e4f5ee711e.jpg

807554147_8022165M07ColneBridge101020192-RMweb.jpg.4797f3723f56bd9ac1e61f46979bd6ff.jpg

Looks so much better like that.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I think the TPE livery looks stunning on a 802. Pic from flickr.

802 201

The word "stunning" can be used in more than one way!

I quite like what they have done with the intermediate cars. It's the front end which is just too "busy" to my eyes.

I am planning to be in Huddersfield area early next month. Will be interested to see them "in the flesh".

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am planning to be in Huddersfield area early next month. Will be interested to see them "in the flesh".

You might be lucky Joseph, as by the time of your visit they may have entered regular public service.

So far there has only been one return public service use of a TPE class 802/2, which occurred on Saturday 28th September 2019.

The current TPE driver/crew training trips are irregular during the day along the Huddersfield line.  There are more frequent overnight trips in 'Q' paths, mostly between Heaton T&RSMD to Liverpool Lime Street and are operated by GBRf, which are probably for units undergoing testing and mileage accumulation prior to acceptance by TPE.

Drop me a PM before your visit if you need an update on the 802/2s or the class 68s/Mark 5a. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 4630 said:

You might be lucky Joseph, as by the time of your visit they may have entered regular public service.

So far there has only been one return public service use of a TPE class 802/2, which occurred on Saturday 28th September 2019.

The current TPE driver/crew training trips are irregular during the day along the Huddersfield line.  There are more frequent overnight trips in 'Q' paths, mostly between Heaton T&RSMD to Liverpool Lime Street and are operated by GBRf, which are probably for units undergoing testing and mileage accumulation prior to acceptance by TPE.

Drop me a PM before your visit if you need an update on the 802/2s or the class 68s/Mark 5a. 

I am hearing that crew training will be undertaken in service in the main (ie trainee rostered alongside a passed guard who will be operating the service and training the other chap/chapess on the go) to get them into service quicker, as they are doing with Mk5a fleet.  TPE sources are suggesting no public 802 services for 2-3 weeks while they get a core set of crew passed out, then they should start entering service.  397s have to be in by December - as all TPE 350s are required by WMT before the December timetable change, so I am told that there is a good chance some Manchester-Edinburgh/Glasgow workings could be formed of 185s displaced from trans-Pennine work by the 802s/68s short term.  397s have now passed all of their trials, just waiting on ORR sign off, and crew training.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Zomboid said:

For me, the TPE colour scheme is the most attractive to have been applied to an 80x yet. Don't know what the Hull Trains units will look like, though.

It is quite "busy", but it really works for me.

I do like the blue & silver combo, but I'm not entirely convinced by the black down the centre of the nose.

I thought this shot might be of interest.

I believe this to be of 5S41, 08.12 Liverpool - Glasgow ecs, taken at Docker in Cumbria on the 2nd October. I'm not totally confident of the number, appears to be 397005. Would this be a training run or are these units now in service?

John.

IMG_0905 copyweb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2019 at 13:19, newbryford said:

I think the TPE livery looks stunning on a 802. Pic from flickr.

802 201

Still not liking that jet black ‘stripe’ down the Middle of the front end.

while I truly believe it should be yellow below the cab* (but still bordered by the blue that covers the headlights to retain the styling) even silver would be massive improvement.

* There has been plenty of heated debates on yellow ends on this forum and this is not the place to re-open them. However I don’t care what the ‘experts’ (on here are the office bound safety bodies within the industry say) yellow - or at least contrasting upper and lower cab colours should still be mandatory.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

while I truly believe it should be yellow below the cab* (but still bordered by the blue that covers the headlights to retain the styling) even silver would be massive improvement.

* There has been plenty of heated debates on yellow ends on this forum and this is not the place to re-open them. However I don’t care what the ‘experts’ (on here are the office bound safety bodies within the industry say) yellow - or at least contrasting upper and lower cab colours should still be mandatory.

I believe there is evidence that suggests that it's a contrast that counts, ie an area of bright colour contrasting with a darker one. 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

I saw the lights long before I saw it was a TPE Azuma, even with a zoom lens at Doncaster the other day...

That said I saw the lights so knew it must be an Azuma as nothing else has lights like that.

On 04/10/2019 at 20:23, phil-b259 said:

I don't think that anybody who actually know about conspicuity, and the difference from comprehension, would support the arms race with active light sources. If you have contrasting colours then conspicuity comes without reducing the visibility to anything next to the vehicle.  If you have a light source then veiling luminance (glare) will make anything else in that direction less visible. Yes, have lights designed to be effective at night but in that case the light output needed is much less, leading to less glare if the lights are on in the daylight.

• RMweb Gold

Wearing the full livery, 802209 heading east at Colne Bridge , Huddersfield, on 9th October 2019 with 5E09, 09.25 Liverpool Lime Street to Heaton T&RSMD, running to Newcastle in the path of 1E09 which was "...cancelled throughout due to the train operator's request (TB)".

430802124_8022095E09ColneBridge09102019-RMweb.jpg.6bc5c9e1d9a8c9c70a5ac7482b7bfd05.jpg

A few minutes later, heading west, was 68030 Black Douglas with Nova 3 set TP12 working 1F60, 09.41 Scarborough to Liverpool Lime Street.

355479548_680301F60ColneBridge09102019-RMweb.jpg.f6b54ddd6d22fb1cb3ac14ae515836af.jpg

1124086303_TP121F60ColneBridge091020191-RMweb.jpg.316f23dfa187cf9af292f6d738bdf9bf.jpg

1708998264_TP121F60ColneBridge091020192-RMweb.jpg.c58064852145293e170c513b9fa3b2af.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 25/09/2019 at 08:48, 4630 said:

It looks as though today, for the first time, TransPennine Express has two class 68s and Mark 5A Nova 3 sets on Liverpool Lime Street-Scarborough diagrams.

Nova 3 set TP04 is working

5F48 04.54 Longsight Car MD - Manchester Victoria

1F48 05.55 Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime Street
1E25 06.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough
1F62 10.41 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street
1E39 13.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough
1F76 17.44 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street
1J53 20.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Stalybridge

5H53 21.57 Stalybridge - Longsight Car MD

Nova 3 set TP09 with 68027 leading from Liverpool Lime Street:

5E23 04.33 Longsight Car MD - Liverpool Lime Street

1E23 05.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough
1F60 09.41 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street
1E37 12.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough
1F74 16.44 Scarborough - Liverpool Lime Street
1E51 19.56 Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough
1P98 22.46 Scarborough - Manchester Piccadilly

5H86 01.24 Manchester Piccadilly - Longsight Car MD

One of these Phil?

• RMweb Gold

Last Monday, (the 14th of Oct 2019), I caught the 8:10 Stalybridge to Manchester Victoria TPE because the Passenger Information Screens were saying that it was 5 cars! (The usual Stalybridge fare is 2, 3 or 4 cars with the occasional 6.) At last, my chance to sample a new train. :)

It was 9 minutes down on arrival at Stalybridge but instead of the loco hauled experience I was eagerly anticipating, I got 802-218 instead - and very nice it was too in unbranded livery. Very smooth with nice quiet acceleration which seemed to insulate the passengers from the routes curves.

I was in first class and there was plenty of room for me and the "snag team" to do their work. Apparently a brass knobbly bit was broken where the trolley resides, but on arrival at Manchester the guard/manager/whatever took ages to open the doors. I do not know why even though me and the snag team watched him press buttons repeatedly - maybe this was why the train was late. (The 8:10 has been experiencing a number of delays/cancellations recently.)

All in all a nice start to my journey to Cardiff and much better than the vomitor I had from Piccadilly to Bristol Parkway where the GWR 80x?? thing took me onto Cardiff Central quite nicely too.

"First Class" I hear you say!!!

2nd class was £97 while 1st was £144 - well worth the table, leg room, space, quietness, smoothness, free snacks and beverages, no need to book, little chance of XC selling your seat from under you mid journey, and space/room to maneuver/store my toolbox with ease - well worth my company splashing out!

Kev.

(Was it 802-218 or was it 802-216 - forget now!) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday,1F74  duly passed me in waiting room on Platform 3 in impressive rearward snorting push accelerating rapidly and noisily, plumes of smoking clag trailing behind it.Two 68 parked up ,presumably for crew training.. A couple,of unbranded Nova 1 on Newcastle TPE services .The 68 in that mode reminds me of theOBB Taurus on the Wien -Schwechat CAT..LNER Azumas on observation have quite startling acceleration on 25Kv AC btw.

60 years on for me,York is still a place to view trains.Azumas and Novas are a bit different from B16’s and V2’s though.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Yesterday,1F74  duly passed me in waiting room on Platform 3 in impressive rearward snorting push accelerating rapidly and noisily, plumes of smoking clag trailing behind it.Two 68 parked up ,presumably for crew training.. A couple,of unbranded Nova 1 on Newcastle TPE services .The 68 in that mode reminds me of theOBB Taurus on the Wien -Schwechat CAT..LNER Azumas on observation have quite startling acceleration on 25Kv AC btw.

60 years on for me,York is still a place to view trains.Azumas and Novas are a bit different from B16’s and V2’s though.

People (including me) have said the 68s sound like Deltics and they do a bit, but the other day it occurred to me that what they most remind me of is DB 218s!  Not too familiar with OBB Tauruses myself, I'm afraid.