TPE new trains

I live about five miles north of the Liv-Man' line at Leigh, i can hear them most days crossing Chat Moss and Glazebury and i just love hearing them in the distance when i'm in my garden, and they do remind me of the Deltics. Two must have passed each other on Sunday morn' judging by the racket!:D 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've not noticed the 68 deltic thing, I think they have a hymek sound about them . I suppose both being high revving V16s there will be some similarities 

Can't remember what Hymeks sounded like - they all went a long time ago!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've not really heard them from a distance,  either cab or train are the only places I've heard them 

At least they make some decent noise in tunnels,  luckily they have a vigilance warning light which must be watched for if window is open in a tunnel 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, russ p said:

I've not really heard them from a distance,  either cab or train are the only places I've heard them 

At least they make some decent noise in tunnels,  luckily they have a vigilance warning light which must be watched for if window is open in a tunnel 

i have in the past made the class 68 - Deltic sound analogy from hearing both types climbing up the tame valley from stalybridge - Diggle from the otherside of the valley for me its more the thrum both types make that echoes around the valley that is similar 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The 68 is not like the diesels  of the past mentioned in the posts,   engine silencing and suppression of noise is far higher priority these days,  the old "hit and miss" mechanical fuel injectors of the past have been replaced by modern computer controlled  injection systems,  the 68 is a steady spinner with the smooth quiet precision of an industrial diesel generator set. note, we had a modern genset powering our works for a year,  you could stand along side the genset cabin and not be able to tell if the diesel was running such was the  quality of  the  exhaust  silencing

• RMweb Gold

Still awaiting its TransPennine Express livery vinyls, Nova 1 802207 sweeps through Ravensthorpe on 17th October 2019 with 9E09, 09.25 Liverpool Lime Street to Newcastle.

443114216_8022079E09Ravensthorpe17102019-RMweb.jpg.da6e8f963c58d6b04c585b5c8bc9e99f.jpg

448607375_8022079E09Ravensthorpe171020192-RMweb.jpg.d845454911aa2f7130c177d54f7c91c1.jpg

The class 802/2 Nova 1 sets have settled down to working two daily diagrams.  These are the expected workings today;

802218 working;
9E06  06.25  Liverpool Lime Street - Newcastle 
9M08  10.02  Newcastle - Liverpool Lime Street
9E13  13.25  Liverpool Lime Street - Newcastle
9M15  17.02  Newcastle - Liverpool Lime Street
9E20  20.25  Liverpool Lime Street -Newcastle

802207 working;
9M04  06.03  Newcastle - Liverpool Lime Street
9E09  09.25  Liverpool Lime Street - Newcastle 
9M11  13.00  Newcastle - Liverpool Lime Street
9E16  16.25  Liverpool Lime Street - Newcastle 
9M18  20.01  Newcastle - Liverpool Lime Street

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Pandora said:

The 68 is not like the diesels  of the past mentioned in the posts,   engine silencing and suppression of noise is far higher priority these days,  the old "hit and miss" mechanical fuel injectors of the past have been replaced by modern computer controlled  injection systems,  the 68 is a steady spinner with the smooth quiet precision of an industrial diesel generator set. note, we had a modern genset powering our works for a year,  you could stand along side the genset cabin and not be able to tell if the diesel was running such was the  quality of  the  exhaust  silencing

That's as may well be, but have you been anywhere near a Class 68 leaving a station?  Quiet it ain't!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

It's not even quiet on idle,  I do wonder if TPE will want extra silencing as when proving train supply they are noisy especially under station roofs. 

They are without doubt the best sounding loco since the 56

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russ p said:

It's not even quiet on idle,  I do wonder if TPE will want extra silencing as when proving train supply they are noisy especially under station roofs. 

They are without doubt the best sounding loco since the 56

Or when the people who live near the new depot at Scarborough start making a noise of their own!

• Agree 1

Saw 9E09 through Ashton-under-Lyne this morning just after 10 a.m., slowing for a stop at Stalybridge(?). Most impressive! If they are still on these diagrams next Thursday, I'm taking my camera with me!

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 31A said:

That's as may well be, but have you been anywhere near a Class 68 leaving a station?  Quiet it ain't!!

you beat me to it i can here the trains powering up the valley from stalybridge as live just above the former Micklehirst loop line and you can clearly hear the class 68 powered trains with the windows shut so the silencing cant be upto much and yes they do have the hum and thrum similar to a Deltic off power when climbing the valley 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Saw 9E09 through Ashton-under-Lyne this morning just after 10 a.m., slowing for a stop at Stalybridge(?). Most impressive! If they are still on these diagrams next Thursday, I'm taking my camera with me!

9E09 is not booked to stop at Stalybridge, but the line speed reduces to 35MPH for Stalybridge Junction, before easing to 50MPH through Stalybridge station.

• RMweb Gold

The Deltics went up the Tame valley (Stalybridge up to Diggle) on constant revs too - fully open!

which made a similar sound to these new 68s both in Hz and dB's.

Kev.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

The Deltics went up the Tame valley (Stalybridge up to Diggle) on constant revs too - fully open!

which made a similar sound to these new 68s both in Hz and dB's.

Kev.

the usual place i got to hear  the Deltics would be just after they shut off approaching saddleworth viaduct  right opposite saddleworth school  usualy during double english on a thursday afternoon as witch ever of the following weekends  railtour engine worked the 13.05 ex limestreet back to york on a check run they would hum and thrum over the viaduct towards Diggle . the other times i would here them is on the return york mail then you would here the snarl as they were worked hard up the valley happy days 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember hearing Deltics when I was a kid as they bowled along the ECML between Sandy and St. Neots; the village I grew up in was a good 5 miles from the main line but the noise was plainly audible as they went along on sleepers on summer nights!

• Like 2

On 17/10/2019 at 10:13, 31A said:

Can't remember what Hymeks sounded like - they all went a long time ago!

From distant memories of Oxford from 1971 to 75, they were flipping noisy Steve ! And having had the occasional chance to ride behind 7017 and 7076 in preservation, they still are.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a ride last week. Very impressed by the loco haulage. Smooth quiet carriages and a step change in quality. No engine beneath the floor so a much less stressful saloon experience. Alas the seats are too hard and the window alignment is very poor. But, the thrash from the 68 is superb, it's an incredible deep roar which is lower in pitch than a deltic and full bodied. 

Its a sort of Railjet experience which brings back in a new form the great days of loco haulage across the Pennines. Ditch the plastic and buy more of these for Cross Country. 

With only five carriages, acceleration is excellent and  I do wonder if these should be seven carriages to provide much needed capacity before too long. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Railpassion said:

With only five carriages, acceleration is excellent and  I do wonder if these should be seven carriages to provide much needed capacity before too long. 

Much depends on platform lengths - particularly at Termmi or busy intermediate stations where the use of selective door opening would add too much to the dwell time to be a solution.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/10/2019 at 12:43, caradoc said:

From distant memories of Oxford from 1971 to 75, they were flipping noisy Steve ! And having had the occasional chance to ride behind 7017 and 7076 in preservation, they still are.

Indeed they were noisy. Introduced prematurely into traffic on the South Wales main line in 1962 to replace Kings,Castles etc .they were thrashed flat out with 13 Mk 1 at just 1700 hp..I can still hear,even today,that high revving drumming noise, Understandably,there was quite a rate of failure.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's been posted on another forum this evening that the two Mark 5/class 68 diagrams (Nova 3s in TransPennine Express speak) that were operating have been taken out of service indefinitely due to "an issue with the brake circuits".

Information posted here in good faith, as no other detail or corroboration has appeared elsewhere yet.  The original post was made by someone who, from his previous posts, is well acquainted with train diagrams at TransPennine Express. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, 4630 said:

It's been posted on another forum this evening that the two Mark 5/class 68 diagrams (Nova 3s in TransPennine Express speak) that were operating have been taken out of service indefinitely due to "an issue with the brake circuits".

Information posted here in good faith, as no other detail or corroboration has appeared elsewhere yet.  The original post was made by someone who, from his previous posts, is well acquainted with train diagrams at TransPennine Express. 

Thanks for posting. It's news to me. So does that leave any MK5 sets for TPE currently operational? Three sets in store at Longtown, two sets removed from service indefinitely. I'm sure their are a few more in the country but don't know when they last worked or if they have ever worked in passenger service as of yet. Very interesting. 

• RMweb Gold

I believe it’s the current two daily diagrams that have been taken out entirely, which suggests that no TPE Mk5 sets are currently operational.

Hopefully it’ll be a short-term issue and they’ll soon be back out in service.

• Thanks 1