TPE new trains

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 4630 said:

I believe it’s the current two daily diagrams that have been taken out entirely, which suggests that no TPE Mk5 sets are currently operational.

Hopefully it’ll be a short-term issue and they’ll soon be back out in service.

Good to know this because I was considering venturing out to see one or both of the new sets in action. Thanks again for posting. At least I won't have a wasted trip. 

Hopefully it will only be a short term issue and both sets can be repaired and put back into service. It's a shame because apart from a couple of failures to my knowledge they have done quite well over the past couple of months. 

11 minutes ago, russ p said:

They should buy some mk4s rebuild them and bin the mk5s , they just don't appear to work in any guise. 

Sadly I can see some more of those awful IEP things being ordered 

Funny you should mention this. I saw a post on Twitter yesterday suggesting rebuilding MK3s, MK4s and HSTs that are currently in store but as someone posted sadly because of the amount of work that needs doing both internally and externally their becomes a point where it just isn't financially viable, especially considering that even with a complete overhaul, modifications to make the stock compliant to the post 2019 regulations, they just wouldn't last that much longer in traffic to justify the amount of money that would need spending. 

I know that the issues with the Caledonian Sleeper MK5s has been sorted so hopefully the TPE ones will be back in service soon. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thanks for posting. It's news to me. So does that leave any MK5 sets for TPE currently operational? Three sets in store at Longtown, two sets removed from service indefinitely. I'm sure their are a few more in the country but don't know when they last worked or if they have ever worked in passenger service as of yet. Very interesting. 

All 13 mk5 TPE sets are now in the country, though most of them appear to be at various storage locations.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, D6975 said:

All 13 mk5 TPE sets are now in the country, though most of them appear to be at various storage locations.

Thank you for confirming. I keep getting confused between what's already been delivered out of MK5s & DTs and the 397s also for TPE. I know that 397009 has arrived today sandwiched between 57305 & 37611. I think that their are two more 397 sets to arrive. With regards to the MK5s I think their is just one more DT to arrive for TPE and I am sure that the Caledonian Sleeper coaches have all been delivered now and all have been service. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, D6975 said:

I don’t believe it’s “most” at various storage locations.

My understanding is that four are stored;

TP02 and TP05 from 13.08.2019 at Longtown M.O.D

TP01 from 23.08.2019 at Longtown M.O.D.

TP03 from 12.09.2019 at Longtown M.O.D.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Thank you for confirming. I keep getting confused between what's already been delivered out of MK5s & DTs and the 397s also for TPE. I know that 397009 has arrived today sandwiched between 57305 & 37611. I think that their are two more 397 sets to arrive. With regards to the MK5s I think their is just one more DT to arrive for TPE and I am sure that the Caledonian Sleeper coaches have all been delivered now and all have been service. 

The last of the Caledonian sleeper vehicles was delivered by Freightliner  using the modified HHA's as coupling adaptors on the 16th of July by rail from Tees Dock !

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, D6975 said:

There are 2 397s at Portbury.

Just been trying to find out what the identity of this one may be but I'm not sure. The only thing I can think is that this one must have remained here since delivery and hasn't been transferred anywhere else as of yet, because I am sure just 397009 has been delivered today. 

10 minutes ago, 4630 said:

I don’t believe it’s “most” at various storage locations.

My understanding is that four are stored;

TP02 and TP05 from 13.08.2019 at Longtown M.O.D

TP01 from 23.08.2019 at Longtown M.O.D.

TP03 from 12.09.2019 at Longtown M.O.D.

Thanks for sharing this info. I must have missed knowing about the transfer of TP03. I saw the reports of the other three been transferred to Longtown. So their is actually one more their than what I thought. 

7 minutes ago, D6975 said:

There were some at Holyhead for a while too, but I think these have now moved.

I believe their was maybe 2 or 3 sets stored their but I think it was only for a short period before they were moved elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The last of the Caledonian sleeper vehicles was delivered by Freightliner  using the modified HHA's as coupling adaptors on the 16th of July by rail from Tees Dock !

Mark Saunders

Thanks for posting. I thought all of the CS sleeper MK5s had been delivered. 

• RMweb Gold

The class 68s and Mark5A should be back in service from today.

Reported elsewhere that their temporary withdrawal was apparently due to a software issue affecting the brake system on the Driving Trailer. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, 4630 said:

The class 68s and Mark5A should be back in service from today.

Reported elsewhere that their temporary withdrawal was apparently due to a software issue affecting the brake system on the Driving Trailer. 

A Mk5A set with a class 68 propelling passed me on my walk into work this morning. It was heading into York from the Scarborough direction at about 08:40. 

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Informative/Useful 2

Apparently the 397s and/or their Northern CAF built class 331 brethren are causing issues with interference on the WCML. Units stabled at Preston are causing 92s and 390s to trip their power supplies and have to be reset. It seems to be more of an issue at night when more units are in the same area.

11 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Apparently the 397s and/or their Northern CAF built class 331 brethren are causing issues with interference on the WCML. Units stabled at Preston are causing 92s and 390s to trip their power supplies and have to be reset. It seems to be more of an issue at night when more units are in the same area.

Be interesting to understand if the same is happening at Longsight where 390s and 397 can share the same stabling areas.

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Be interesting to understand if the same is happening at Longsight where 390s and 397 can share the same stabling areas.

I suppose it could be a combination of the units plus a pecularity of the supply in the Preston area.

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2019 at 13:43, ColinK said:

The first 397 was supposed to enter passenger service last week, but it did not happen.  Hope they are in service before their 350s move to their new operator.

350s are mostly now staying with TPE until January.  Four sets move to WMT for December TT change - the remainder will go progressively so all 10 are with WMT by end of February.  Current focus at TPE, I gather, is the 802s as these are needed for the Liverpool-Newcastle services which get extended to Edinburgh from December, and the paths are timed for electric traction.  Whether there is enough current in the OHL is another matter, and Im old that some LNER 800s on Edinburgh services may have to work south on diesel for that reason.

ORR have signed off the 397s, so the delay is all down to crew training at the moment.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2019 at 14:04, Talltim said:

Im not sure if the 397s have actually caused a problem, but certainly there is now an instruction in force that Class 331s and 397s cannot currently be stabled for more than 30 minutes with their pans up in the Preston area.  The problem caused the voltage regulators (I think it was) on two separate GBRf 92s (one working north, one heading south) on the same night to trip around Preston.  Also there is some instruction (I cannot remember the precise details) where drivers of 331s have to contact Preston PSB to ensure there are no 92s in the area before raising the pans.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, MarshLane said:

350s are mostly now staying with TPE until January.  Four sets move to WMT for December TT change - the remainder will go progressively so all 10 are with WMT by end of February.  Current focus at TPE, I gather, is the 802s as these are needed for the Liverpool-Newcastle services which get extended to Edinburgh from December, and the paths are timed for electric traction.  Whether there is enough current in the OHL is another matter, and Im old that some LNER 800s on Edinburgh services may have to work south on diesel for that reason.

ORR have signed off the 397s, so the delay is all down to crew training at the moment.

I think pragmatism has been lost. The Castlefield problems could be ironed out by cutting one or two trains per hour and TPE would benefit from delaying the extension to Edinburgh until next year to give more time for driver training. 

As more new stock is introduced TPE are going to find it hard to keep to time. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A surprise - 802210 on a Newcastle-Liverpool (9M08?) at Leeds on 7/11/19 (before the north of England services went t!ts up due to the weather.)

1145735796_8022109M08.jpg.8cf7fb3d7d1b75b3977e5a0484e214e2.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2019 at 22:21, newbryford said:

A surprise - 802210 on a Newcastle-Liverpool (9M08?) at Leeds on 7/11/19 (before the north of England services went t!ts up due to the weather.)

Cheers,

Mick

That’s a really nice shot. The 802s look really good in the tpe livery

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Here are a couple of 'Nova 1' trains at Newcastle on 9th November. That's 802206 in the foreground at the bay Platform 1, with 802212 beyond on Platform 3.

505415726_(IMG_3526a)802206802212Ncle9-11-19.jpg.9e45d5b01a170d354b43cc02908fe64a.jpg

The 1300 TPE Newcastle - Liverpool is now usually worked by one of these trains, normally from Platform 1, but on this day it was advertised as Platform 3. When the train arrived empty everyone boarded, but a minute or two later they were all turfed out and the 'not in service' sign appeared on the coaches. As this was happening the other one arrived at Platform 1. Whether this was the correct train for them to board or not I was not able to find out as I had to leave and missed the outcome. very strange!

Trevor

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:21, newbryford said:

Cheers,

Mick

Not forum etiquette to quote your own post but.....

I thought the nose on a 80x series was a "clam-shell" with the two halves retracting sideways.

Have TPE vinyled over the joint?

There does appear to be a faint vertical line above the release handle.

507684675_802nose.jpg.7f006d06a3706ae2f97bc03e54e03a8f.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Not forum etiquette to quote your own post but.....

I thought the nose on a 80x series was a "clam-shell" with the two halves retracting sideways.

Have TPE vinyled over the joint?

There does appear to be a faint vertical line above the release handle.

There's confidence in your product, seal the joint with vinyl as you don't expect a drag or joined up set. :D

I guess all it needs is a Stanley knife (other knives are available.........but maybe a gas knife would be over the top and inappropriate)