TPE new trains

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SHMD said:

The 1F52 (as above) is the train I boarded at Stalybridge on my commute into Manchester this morning - and yes the controllers cancelled (terminated early) the Liverpool leg of this train just before it arrived at Stalybridge.

Whilst this did not affect me (this time), "Turning back" a late train is really hated by passengers - especially if their final destination is an airport.

Kev.

I'm not aware what the issue was today.

It was RT on departure from Scarborough, but +10 on arrival at York which turned into a +26 by the time it left there.  It was never going to make up that deficit, especially over the congested route between Leeds and Manchester.

Sadly, it's become rather 'par for the course' at the moment in TPE land.

• RMweb Gold

As you say, +9 minutes delay outside York and then a further delay resulting +26 down leaving York.

1F52late070120.png.2f39b84af3d048262db2da834e646abf.png

(This was a very lightly loaded train as the proceeding 3-car 185 hoovered up all the platform people 10 minutes before.)

The PA at Stalybridge was saying the delay was due to a fault on the train but the guard's on train message said the delay was due to a proceeding train!

There was a further delay, at Manchester, whilst every one waited for the doors to open - something I've seen a few times now and is not down to the guard going back to his position.

The diagram was filled, later in the day, by another 185 which had obviously replaced the cancelled train.

Kev.

22 hours ago, SHMD said:

As you say, +9 minutes delay outside York and then a further delay resulting +26 down leaving York.

1F52late070120.png.2f39b84af3d048262db2da834e646abf.png

(This was a very lightly loaded train as the proceeding 3-car 185 hoovered up all the platform people 10 minutes before.)

The PA at Stalybridge was saying the delay was due to a fault on the train but the guard's on train message said the delay was due to a proceeding train!

There was a further delay, at Manchester, whilst every one waited for the doors to open - something I've seen a few times now and is not down to the guard going back to his position.

The diagram was filled, later in the day, by another 185 which had obviously replaced the cancelled train.

Kev.

It arrived in Platform 4 at York but it does not show what was in front of it in Platform 3 to prevent it departing!

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

It arrived in Platform 4 at York but it does not show what was in front of it in Platform 3 to prevent it departing!

Nothing if the information on Realtime Trains is to believed.

Platform 3 was unoccupied after 06.18 when 1P58, Middlesborough to Manchester Airport departed.  The next arrival at platform 3 was not until 07.22 when 1V83 arrived with a service from Newcastle to Reading.

23 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Sad news for TPE travellers continues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51022838

I'm sure if this was happening in that London place "something" would have been done by now.

Are you sure - Crossrail - further extension of opening date, South West Railways, Greater Anglia new train woes, Class 442s still not working (have they ever).

It's not just a 'North' issue

• Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back in the UK for a week or so and spent an hour and a half on Morley  station this morning. No sign of the 802's at all, however all but 1 of the Liverpool Scarbourgh services were in the hands of 68's with 21, 22 and 27 seen. 

20200125_112304.jpg.3a851c3639ff8174f4d1fa46b03e45e2.jpg

Nothern were busy cancelling their services due to having too many trains under repair according to the info boards. The 68's all seemed to be losing time.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Back in the UK for a week or so and spent an hour and a half on Morley  station this morning. No sign of the 802's at all, however all but 1 of the Liverpool Scarbourgh services were in the hands of 68's with 21, 22 and 27 seen. 

Jamie

I think you must just have been unlucky today Jamie, as they were out and about.

On 25th January 2020, in TPE livery, 802213 passing Colne Bridge with 1P22, 10.47 Newcastle to Manchester Airport.

1788630652_8022131P22ColneBridge25012020-RMweb.jpg.817b604f2656b4c346ee4fd2d91ba1d5.jpg

Still in the 'base grey' livery, 802218 passing Colne Bridge with 9S11, 11.24 Liverpool Lime Street to Edinburgh.

116243826_8022189S11ColneBridge25012020-RMweb.jpg.57a5cdf2af870ee14a5473cc660dca58.jpg

If you're out on 26th January 2020 in search of TPE's new trains, just be aware that the Huddersfield line is closed all day for engineering work with TPE services diverted via the Calder Valley.  That itself provides a little bit of variety and although class 68s/Mark5 stock and the 802/2s are cleared for the Calder Valley, a quick peruse of the schedule on Realtime Trains suggests to me that many of the services could be class 185s

Edited by 4630
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

With the closure of the Huddersfield line on 26th January 2020 due to planned engineering work, TransPennine Express services were diverted along the Calder Valley via Hebden Bridge and Rochdale.  At least two of the Scarborough diagrams were operated by class 68 and Mark 5s.

So off its usual route and Just as the forecast rain started to fall, 68021 'Tireless' together with Mark 5 set TP12 passed through Brighouse with 1E29, 09.20 Manchester Victoria to Scarborough.

1217115184_68021TP121E29Brighouse260120201-RMweb.jpg.d1d71b7c9ba163cfd579be1fc3de980a.jpg

623651248_68021TP121E29Brighouse260120202-RMweb.jpg.dd6d2cda91b1f9bb3429b02f03da697b.jpg

The only other workings that I saw during the short time that I was out were formed of pairs of class 185s, so I'm unaware if any class 802/2s were out today.

Edited by 4630
To add photos that had been deleted.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in guessing that it's units freed up by these new trains which means I've seen some six-coach trains on the Hope Valley line recently? (I'm assuming doubled up 185s - they're 2x3 car somethings anyway, but I've not seen them close and I'm not an expert unit spotter).

26 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Am I right in guessing that it's units freed up by these new trains which means I've seen some six-coach trains on the Hope Valley line recently? (I'm assuming doubled up 185s - they're 2x3 car somethings anyway, but I've not seen them close and I'm not an expert unit spotter).

Yes, I've also noticed a lot more 6-car formations on the Cleethorpes/Manchester services since the December timetable came in, and yes, 2x185 units.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jpendle said:

I see you had the same problem that I did earlier.

Anyhow, the links appear to be broken.

Regards,

John P

Yes.  Somewhat frustrating.  It seems as though the forum software decided to do its own thing.  I only uploaded the post just once and didn't touch the keyboard for the lengthy time that the message 'saving' was displayed.  Then lo and behold, four separate posts with images!

Anyway, I've added the images back to the original post that had been deleted. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Yes.  Somewhat frustrating.  It seems as though the forum software decided to do its own thing.  I only uploaded the post just once and didn't touch the keyboard for the lengthy time that the message 'saving' was displayed.  Then lo and behold, four separate posts with images!

Anyway, I've added the images back to the original post that had been deleted. 

If you want to remove the duplicates you can by using options, hide.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zomboid said:

How are they handling the electric/ diesel change overs on these services? Is it like the GWML, or can the drivers be trusted?

On GWR the drivers do all the traction change overs because they trust us slightly more than the trust the automatic stuff at the moment.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

On GWR the drivers do all the traction change overs because they trust us slightly more than the trust the automatic stuff at the moment.

My oh my - what have you all done to get that trust at last?  (Or should I be asking why the auto changeover is no longer flavour of the month with GWR?).  But  no doubt if GWR Drivers can be trusted to observe the restriction at Steventon, plus many other restrictions of speed, or signals showing restrictive aspects.  ...   ...  ...

• Funny 2

Probably only because we are slightly more trustworthy than the auto stuff at the moment, or if you are a true blue cynic, it is to try and catch us out, the autostuff is in place (it is at the electric to diesel locations) but only there to do its job if we forget, I assume it then sends a signal to Hitachi that it has had to lower the pan because the FESW* has forgotten so they can inform GWR to invite the driver in for a meeting without tea and biscuits.

Steventon has changed again, now we leave the pan up but have to reduce speed to 110, so no more whoresdrawers with the pan, or at least thats what it was last time I was up that way 4 months ago.

* FESW is Front End Seat Warmer, a phrase used by a  now deceased fat Old Oak fitter who hated drivers, RIP Neil.

Edited by royaloak
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Probably only because we are slightly more trustworthy than the auto stuff at the moment, or if you are a true blue cynic, it is to try and catch us out, the autostuff is in place (it is at the electric to diesel locations) but only there to do its job if we forget, I assume it then sends a signal to Hitachi that it has had to lower the pan because the FESW* has forgotten so they can inform GWR to invite the driver in for a meeting without tea and biscuits.

Steventon has changed again, now we leave the pan up but have to reduce speed to 110, so no more whoresdrawers with the pan, or at least thats what it was last time I was up that way 4 months ago.

* FESW is Front End Seat Warmer, a phrase used by a  now deceased fat Old Oak fitter who hated drivers, RIP Neil.

Yes.  About Steventon - I had a couple of rides through there a few weeks back and no loss of power supply or thump of diesel coming to life under the floor but a bit of braking beforehand and acceleration after so clearly negotiated with electrical oomph instead of diesel non-oopmh.

• RMweb Premium

I escaped babysitting duties for an hour this afternoon and spent a pleasant hour on Garforth station. During that time I saw 5 or 6 185's but also 802 211.  At 14.35 68025 came in eastbound. But a rather hassled gaurd couldn't get the doors open. It is obvious that paying passengers aren't allowed to use the gaurd's door as the elderly  lady waiting to get into 1st class had to wait in the cold for 8 minutes till the doors finally opened.  The train eventually got away at 14.44 but according to RTT was only 1 down leaving York. This seems to confirm the scuttlebut that most of the problems are with the coaches.  The 68 certainly sounded good getting away.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

It is surely a safety issue if the doors cannot be opened on demand?

Guess it's a result of trying to make sure that they can't be opened in places where it's a very bad idea to open them. Any system put in place to stop them being opened at all will increase the chances of them staying shut when you want them to open, perfection isn't possible (although better than this certainly is!)

17 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

It is surely a safety issue if the doors cannot be opened on demand?

Jonathan

Oh puhllease, why is everything a safety issue, please explain how your safety is compromised if the doors remain closed for a few minutes?

Doors not releasing at a station is an inconvenience, nothing more!

There is the EMERGENCY (<<< the clue is in this bit <<<) egress so the doors can be opened in an emergency!

Of course the egress wont dump the brake or allow the door to be opened until the train is below 5(ish) mph so I assume that is a safety issue if the train is on fire and you cant get off at 90mph as well!

Train windows are now laminated which can take a fair bit of effort to smash so maybe they should be changed back to toughened glass because that is easier to smash, but then it is also more likely to be smashed if a coach overturns so people could be expelled and crushed to death, so maybe they should be laminated to prevent them breaking, and round and round we go.

Any safety feature will always be a compromise because what saves you in one situation could/will put you in danger in another!

Edited by royaloak