Building Southern Pride Models TPOs

Hi All,

I have six of the original SPM Mk 1 TPOs in the 1991 livery which I am finally getting round to making. If anyone has built some of these, I would appreciate some advice please on the best method of gluing the overlays to the sides and which glues people have found to give the best results.

Also, the TPO train I am planning to represent contains some full brakes. I've been trying to find pictures of these as I'm unsure as to what livery they carried. Were they TPO red too, or did they retain their BR livery?

Regards,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I used contact adhesive for mine and it sticks the coloured sides well but care needs to be taken to avoid lumps on the adhesive which will show up as bumps.

When I built my SPM TPOs I used Evo Stik impact adhesive to glue the side on, being careful not to get any where clear windows are or on the printed side of the overlays. I also used this to glue any metal parts on, I used plastic weld for the plastic parts, again being careful not to get any on the overlays as the glue very easily damages the artwork.

On the matter of the BGs you could find vans in plain blue, blue grey, red star parcels and post office red. Replica railways are the cheapest BGs available these days, however they will require a little work to get them upto modern standards. You could also use Hornby or Bachmann ones. It wasn't unheard of to find other liveries of BG  in use as they were being taken out of front line passenger services.

The BGs later started to appear in RES livery  shortly before the start of the "super BG" program started when they were converted into the higher security van with sealed/ plated windows and roller shutter doors in place of the double doors.

There were a couple of BGs converted to experimental airport container carrying which were in post office red for a short time before being painted RES.

For a good source of information check out the "British railways Mark 1 Coaches" book by Keith Parkin and HMRS.

When I built my SPM TPOs I used Evo Stik impact adhesive to glue the side on, being careful not to get any where clear windows are or on the printed side of the overlays. I also used this to glue any metal parts on, I used plastic weld for the plastic parts, again being careful not to get any on the overlays as the glue very easily damages the artwork.

On the matter of the BGs you could find vans in plain blue, blue grey, red star parcels and post office red. Replica railways are the cheapest BGs available these days, however they will require a little work to get them upto modern standards. You could also use Hornby or Bachmann ones. It wasn't unheard of to find other liveries of BG  in use as they were being taken out of front line passenger services.

The BGs later started to appear in RES livery  shortly before the start of the "super BG" program started when they were converted into the higher security van with sealed/ plated windows and roller shutter doors in place of the double doors.

There were a couple of BGs converted to experimental airport container carrying which were in post office red for a short time before being painted RES.

For a good source of information check out the "British railways Mark 1 Coaches" book by Keith Parkin and HMRS.

The 'old' Evo-Stik formula could be thinned, using Humbrol 'Liquid Poly' or 'Mek Pak', or, even Cellulose thinners.

When thinned, it enabled the user to apply (paint) a thin, lump free coat, to one, or more surfaces.

The later, presently, more safety concious formulae of Evo-Stik is divided into two camps (tins / tubes). One, water (Thixotropic ?) based, takes forever to dry. More so, if  thinned with water.

And the other, 'Impact', solvent based.

In my opinion, this formula is not so 'aggressive' / strong as the original. Tho', it does offer the advantage of faster drying and being able to be diluted with a quicker acting solvent thinner.

P.S.

The 'Experiments' are continuing.

• RMweb Premium

I have built two SPM "Royal Mail" stowage vehicles, and the sides are pre glued, but you only get one shot at putting the sides in place as if attempt to remove and relocate the sides they will stretch and loose the glue that is on the sides

I shall post pictures of the ones that I have made later tonight.  

post-6815-0-76689900-1464103364.jpg

post-6815-0-26075600-1464103376.jpg

Pictures added

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies so far, they're most useful. I have some Bachmann BGs in blue so I might respray two or three for a bit of variety. Seeing the pictures would be a helpp too.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies so far, they're most useful. I have some Bachmann BGs in blue so I might respray two or three for a bit of variety. Seeing the pictures would be a helpp too.

Thanks again,

Mark

There are a few in red on Paul Bartlett's site (mostly in the 92xxx series):

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpccs

ISTR that some were also plain red without the yellow stripes.

What work would you suggest needs to be carried out on the Replica models please?

The replica BGs would benefit from flush glazing and fitting separate hand rails and maybe a little attention to the underframes, also use the right type of bogies. Replica do kits for B4 and B5 bogies, the BGs in use in the 90s had commonwealth or B4 bogies, the TPO vans had B5 type.

Archived