Semi-automatic DCC operation controlled by manual signals

My next layout will include mechanical turnout and signal operation using a lever frame and home-made mechanical interlocking. I want to couple this with semi-automatic DCC train operation, i.e. I choose the train and it then proceeds automatically according to the route I set, stopping at stations or not depending on the class of train, and obeying signals and speed restrictions. At the end of the route, an operator needs to be able to take over and shunt manually if required. It won't be a huge layout by any means, but one in which I can enjoy being the signalman and watch the trains go by or just indulge in some shunting if the mood takes me.

As I'm completely new to layout automation, I'd be grateful for any pointers that the good folk of RMWeb may be able to provide that may lead to the goal above - or indeed any good threads I may have overlooked thus far. I imagine that some form of block detection will be key from the outset, but what pitfalls should I watch out for and which software would people recommend? I'm currently operating with an NCE Powercab and the scale of the venture would probably be a double-track main line (either through lines or a terminus depending on the location I choose) with at least one crossover, goods loop, sidings etc and a single track branch joining. Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the PM, I think you may have already come across the post I made on the Buckingham West thread.  All of what your looking to do is very doable, and while not simple or cheap, is certainly not too difficult or out of reach!  I can only talk from my own experience, but if you look at the from Freiwald, there are two or three different levels depending on what you want the system to do.  In essence, your layout needs to be split into DCC sections so that the computer knows where the trains are.  Those sections can be pure DCC detection, or 'virtual' sections using reed switches, or IRDOT detection etc.. Once, you've done that, and told the system what section is where, then TrainController can adapt to what you want it to do - full automation, control the signals but let you control the trains, vice-versa, or full manual.

For me, I wanted to take the situation a step further, and through the layout recreate a traditional manual signal box with trains being offered on bell-codes etc..., performing the role of signaller, with the computer operating the trains automatically.  As you'll note from the Buckingham thread its all doable, and my initial tests have proved quite effective. Im using the Digitrax DCC system, but i think the DCC bus commands are fairly standard because of NMRA, so any system should work.  In terms of point work and lever frames, its not difficult to get the lever frame to work a DCC decoder, rather than the point itself, that way the computer system knows the status of points and signals.

While you need to give thought to things, and i'd recommend spending a few hours reading through the various topics on the TrainController forum on the Freiwald website, in essence, get the layout up and running and the DCC sections in first. As long as you give thought to where the sections will go (which in TrainController are (almost) always sections without pointwork and capable of holding a full length train - TrainController knows all the routes so it prevents collisions and mis-routing) so that the rail breaks and necessary detection can be added, then all the automation side follows afterwards.

If i can help, shout or PM anytime!

Rich

Graham,

I think the project is fine.  TrainController is one option, and probably the simplest to get things going.   The cost of the software isn't significant given all the other hardware that will be required (usually much more expensive than the software!).   There are other software packages which could probably work as well - JMRI or RocRail are two which are free, but may be more software effort to make things work.    The only major advantage of JMRI is that the signalling support can be accurate to a given prototype, but for this project I suspect that is not too important as you have your own signal interlocking.

The big task is getting information into the computer.   Three things needed - the state of the turnouts, the state of signals (proceed, danger, caution) and the occupancy of the track.  The NCE AUI devices may be able to help with these requirements (check that your chosen software will receive the instructions), or you could use a stand-alone network for these two elements based around LocoNet.    For track occupancy, I think you will need a mixture of track current detection (train in this block of track somewhere) and spot-detectors (train directly above this detector).   For the signal/turnout states, you could either add the information from your lever frame(s), or you could fit switches/detectors near the signals/turnouts which report the signal/turnout movement.

Once the data on state of signals and occupancy is within the computer, the software should be able to drive trains in the manner you describe.  

If you happen to be at RailEx this weekend, I'll be part of the Coldfair Green team.   Happy to chat further about your ideas.

- Nigel

Gents, thank you for your helpful and informative responses. I'll busy myself with the TrainController forums/software research for the time being.

Rich - I will be following your project with great interest, thanks for the steer!

Nigel - thanks for your help once again - sadly I won't be at RailEx this year despite being 'relatively' close as I will be taking the family to visit Pendon instead!

Regards,

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

Anytime! I'm no expert by any means, but I found spending a few hours reading the TC manual gave me a really good insight into the software, and set me thinking on what could work with what. If you get lost or have any questions shout - either on here or on a PM. Computerized/auto control is just one aspect of model railways ... But if your a bit of a techie fan, it can be as interesting as the modeling itself .. And of course, you can turn it all of at any time and just run the normal model!

Have fun!

Rich

I've a fair amount of experience with the same sort of process, using RR&Co 5.0C (which is obsolete) to run Long Marton in a similar way.  Be warned, there is a LOT of programming required, at least in 5.0C, via very interesting means.  I'm fairly sure how I do it is not the only way to do it within RR&Co, but I end up with huge amounts of flagmen, on/off switches, and sequencing in order to get the performance I want.  It certainly beats doing it with relays though !

James

Archived