New Hatton's solenoid point motor

Brian

Hattons have released a new solinoid point motor called the HAT PM1
While 'new' it's based on an older H&M point motor design, but without the built in change over switching these motors used to have. This may appear on later models perhaps?
http://www.ehattons.com/185267/Hattons_HAT_PM_01_Pack_of_6_Solenoid_point_motor_including_pin_extension_and_2_way_arm_for_use_wit/StockDetail.aspx

It doesn't have the additional crank that can go through the baseboard that the H&M has. I used to use the two cranks under the baseboard with a wire through both of them to operate points. The relative position of the two cranks could be changed for adjustment. It looks more solid than the Peco ones though.

Not that I need any, as I think I've got enough H&Ms for my future needs!

looks similar to the peco and gaugemaster type and still needs the adaptors or some form of frog switching which puts up the cost, also taking this into account if dcc it needs a accessory decoder... I would opt for the gfb designs solenoid point motor which has the decoder and cdu built in....

• 5 months later...

With such a wide choice of servos and slow motion motors available, I'm surprised that Solenoids are still lingering on, never mind a new one being introduced.

Unfortunately for folks like me, the mention of servos, circuit boards and other similar terms, causes me to glaze over or come out in a cold sweat! :O

• Like 3

With such a wide choice of servos and slow motion motors available, I'm surprised that Solenoids are still lingering on, never mind a new one being introduced.

Each to their own. Solenoids work, are simple to install, reliable and are cheap. I have no need for servos and the cost of the electronics to control them. I also don't see any advantage of servos to justify the additional cost. Would agree that this one seems like an unnecessary addition.

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't have the additional crank that can go through the baseboard that the H&M has. I used to use the two cranks under the baseboard with a wire through both of them to operate points. The relative position of the two cranks could be changed for adjustment. It looks more solid than the Peco ones though.

Not that I need any, as I think I've got enough H&Ms for my future needs!

According to the Hattons description it does have an extension to the pin for below baseboard fitting and also cranks for operating signals.

Nice to see some robust old technology back.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

The old H&M's were good for their time, but quite vicious and power thirsty..

I have inadvertently changed an H&M point with wagons sat on top!

Gordon A

I'll probably use them on my O gauge layout. The baseboards were free (old doors), and the track was free (from an RMweb member), so using H&M motors I've had for 40 years seems the right thing to do!

• Like 2

A  friend  of  mine  down  the  road  a  few  doors  away  is  using  these  Hattons  point  motors  on  his  developing  0  gauge  new  build  with  great  success,

Theres  a  surprising  number  of  model  railways  on our  estate,  only  last  week whilst  walking  the  dog  past  a  house  where  the  garage  door  was  open  I noticed  a  Blue period  station sign on  the  wall  for  Formby  station,  below  which  were  baseboards,  yet another  layout under  construction!

We are  way  off topic  now!

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've got some vintage H&M point motors (solenoid)  here. Re-appraising this, it would appear that the polarity switching facility on these are a bit 'sus'. Probably not a fault of the solenoid, per se, just age. I've just ordered a newer Hattons solenoid, to have a possible look at adding microswitches to the solenoid bar.

I'm loath to let these older solenoids go. They are as tough as old boot, and IMHO, fully capable of add-ons & upgrades.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a new Hatton's point motor delivered today.   A nice looking thing, about 20% smaller than its earlier predecessor.  The wiring loom portion come pre-assembled, which is a positive improvement on some of the older H&M motors have, with blobs of solder here & there. 

Sad to say though, some of the build quality appears to be sadly lacking in the newer model. There is no over-centre latching that the H&M motor has, and the operating arm is very slack. The upshot is that the centre operating bar can slop back & forth in an uncontrolled manner.  I assume that using say, with a Peco point, it relies upon the over-centre spring to maintain gauge. For a handbuilt point? Hmm... Not so good... Facility for frog polarity switching is missing. That said, some of my old H&M motors have failed in that respect (due to age )  and I intended to retrofit these with microswitches .  The operating crossbar vis -a- vis  the operating horns is not that good, TBH. Having a 1.5mm rod inside a 3.2mm hole is, as I've said, a bit sloppy.  Perhaps the rod needs some sleeving.

I must stress that these notes are observations. I've bought a couple to assess these with an idea to  using them for points.  These are capable for upgrading to accept accessories, and they are (or should be ) cost effective.  If Hattons make a second batch, I hope they address the shortcomings from the first ones. 

I think I'll be staying with new servos and the old but good H&M motors.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 1