Oxford announce Carflat, additional liveries and sound options.

Andy Y

• 1 month later...

There were two painted examples of carflats on the Oxford stand at Warley yesterday. One was black (and not weathered), in 1960's condition. The other was a sort of faded red and lettered with an FVV code, which would place it in the 1970's onwards. I couldn't see a blue Motorail version.

Graham  

A short video taking a look at the Oxford Rail Stand, during the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.
On show, as well a huge display of Diecast Vehicles, was a number of up and coming and prototype Oxford Rail items, featuring the all new GWR Dean Goods (including the new limited Edition NRM Version), a selection of BR Mk3 coaches and Carflat.
On top of this there was also running samples of the new Sound Fitted Adams Radial Tanks, as well as the all new Golden Valley Hobbies, YE Janus 0-6-0DE.
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIalnjuuW4U

These were one of last weekend's major high-points for me. The Oxford rep (can't recall his name) was extremely helpful and got both samples out for me to photograph and inspect.  

I'm not sure he bargained on the type's significance to me; when I casually intoned that I'm in the market for two dozen I saw his demeanour visibly change!!!  :angel:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Some more samples of the Carflat were shown at Marks Models in Dublin when Tim Mulhall of Oxford Rail visited yesterday. Photos on the Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook group. members only group.

Were they definitely new? You'd expect that Oxford would want to be shouting about this type of thing but a lot (if not all) of their projects have gone very quiet.

I'd love to get some updates, especially on the Mk3s and carflats.

Were they definitely new? You'd expect that Oxford would want to be shouting about this type of thing but a lot (if not all) of their projects have gone very quiet.

I'd love to get some updates, especially on the Mk3s and carflats.

Likely to be some meaningful updates in two weeks time when Oxford make their next Diecast and probably Rail announcements.

A carflat with sound options would be interesting.......

I mean, if we're going to have locomotives with sound, the rest of the train needs it too, with all the squeaks, bangs, buffers clashing, couplings rattling and wheels on rail.  Of course, with the increasing price of rolling stock, added sound would be "say goodbye to your wallet" territory.

Oh wait, we're there already, added sound would be any two appendages of your choice in addition.......

A carflat with sound options would be interesting.......

I mean, if we're going to have locomotives with sound, the rest of the train needs it too, with all the squeaks, bangs, buffers clashing, couplings rattling and wheels on rail.  Of course, with the increasing price of rolling stock, added sound would be "say goodbye to your wallet" territory.

Oh wait, we're there already, added sound would be any two appendages of your choice in addition.......

How about the sound of a piece of ballast breaking a car windscreen? :)

• 5 weeks later...

The prototype B748747 was built on a LMS 60ft underframe, at Horwich in 1964. I have scans taken from an OPC book published in 1985 which gives details of the carflat conversions but I can't remember the book title or author. It would seem that about 300 carflats were built on 60ft LMS underframes.

Graham

The prototype B748747 was built on a LMS 60ft underframe, at Horwich in 1964. I have scans taken from an OPC book published in 1985 which gives details of the carflat conversions but I can't remember the book title or author. It would seem that about 300 carflats were built on 60ft LMS underframes.

Graham

Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages. ISBN 0-86093-203-6

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

OR76CAR001 Carflat BR Bauxite B748747 is now in stock with us. :)

Ox%2030.jpg

Alex @ Footplate

A very nice model but I'm finding the bogies to be rather frustrating.

They are a beautiful moulding with brake shoes set back from the bogie frame but they have been designed to take 3' (12mm) wheels rather than the 3'7" (14mm ish) that they should have. There is also no room for EM/P4 wheels although this will only bother a small minority. When you add to this that the buffer height is already on the high side it's going to take a fair bit of head scratching followed by actual modelling to get these models sitting about right.

David

They are a beautiful moulding with brake shoes set back from the bogie frame but they have been designed to take 3' (12mm) wheels rather than the 3'7" (14mm ish) that they should have. There is also no room for EM/P4 wheels although this will only bother a small minority. When you add to this that the buffer height is already on the high side it's going to take a fair bit of head scratching followed by actual modelling to get these models sitting about right.

David

Don't worry about it sitting high, as soon as you put a payload on it, it'll sit down on the springs & things will be fine . . .

My first three landed on Monday from Oxford themselves.  

They look fine from my parameters - they will only be used in long block formations, won't be scheduled to stop whilst stage-front, and if so only briefly, and accommodate four appropriate cars (two small and two large saloons) snugly, as I've seen pictures of the prototype do.

Most of all, they capture the subtle essence of the real thing: relatively plain and simple, but nuanced with the side rails, timbered floor, large buffers, and spartan underframe with its usual LHCS gubbins moved or eliminated.  Now to get to work on the all important loads themselves  :angel:

They are a beautiful moulding with brake shoes set back from the bogie frame but they have been designed to take 3' (12mm) wheels rather than the 3'7" (14mm ish) that they should have.

What is it with Oxford - are they offering a prize for finding the 'deliberate' mistake?

Just when I thought that we might be able to look forward to some 60' Stanier coaches!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1