Oxford announce Carflat, additional liveries and sound options.

Andy Y

Can anyone advise about what the prototype is for the Oxford carflat. They had advertised it, when the product was announced, as based on BR Diagram 1/088 in particular the type that used redundant Stanier 60ft coach underframes, however the model seems to measure up as on a 57ft underframe. Purely by chance, in preparation to my last post about the reasons why the bogies have underscale wheels, I was comparing the construction with a Bachmann Stanier 57ft porthole all third and Hornby Stanier Pd 3 57ft brake coaches, and noticed that the length over the headstocks was the same for all three. I compared the carflat chassis length with Bachmann Stanier 60ft portholes and the carflat was noticeably shorter, by about a scale 3ft. Measuring the carflat chassis, I found it was 9 inches over the headstocks, which scales up as 57 ft.

Now I'm not sure of prototypes, but were carflats built on 57ft Stanier coach underframes, but it seems that it's not the 60ft type that was originally intended. Does anyone have any info about this. I haven't seen it mentioned in the mag reviews so far published.

The Carflats used what was available, so there are plenty on LMS 57ft frames, the odd one on 54ft, quite a number on 60ft and a few on 62ft. Quoting diag numbers only gives part of the information as some managed to have frames from different Company origins with the same diagram. See table 13 in Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages.Roger Silsbury did a good job of sorting a very complex story.

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...