Canonbury Goods: Edwardian NLR in P4

garethashenden

• RMweb Gold

IMG_9330_zpsto8cdbcf.jpg

Some of them look quite rounded in close up pictures, I may have pressed the tool in too far.

Wow Gareth,

That is just superb modelling.  Absolutely outstanding, well done.  Painting it will no doubt a chore but so worth doing. I'm looking to do something similar in O gauge, and I'd already decided on the DAS part, but will have to have a hunt around for a suitable sized paint brush now!  If you don't mind me asking, how thick have you take your DAS clay?  Im still in the early stages of playing/experimenting with DAS so any tips would be welcome.

I keep looking at that photograph and going wow!

Rich

Wow Gareth,

That is just superb modelling.  Absolutely outstanding, well done.  Painting it will no doubt a chore but so worth doing. I'm looking to do something similar in O gauge, and I'd already decided on the DAS part, but will have to have a hunt around for a suitable sized paint brush now!  If you don't mind me asking, how thick have you take your DAS clay?  Im still in the early stages of playing/experimenting with DAS so any tips would be welcome.

I keep looking at that photograph and going wow!

Rich

It's about 3.5mm thick. That's the measurement from the foamboard base to the top of the rails. It's a bit thicker than is ideal actually, it shrank while drying leaving the rails higher than I had intended. I'm going to experiment with the other side of the track soon, either laying two layers of clay and letting the first harden before applying the second or finding something to use as an underlay to take up half the height.

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while.I think there are two main reasons why I haven't been particularly motivated to work on this recently:

1) There are an awful lot of setts to press

2) I have no idea how to start on the buildings and I need the retaining walls in place before I can put setts up against them.

The setts aren't too bad to do, but I do need to define the area better before I proceed much further, hence the need for the retaining walls. I think I will make most of the scenery cores out of thin plywood. I used foam board for a couple parts but they've already warped. My father has some offcuts of suitable ply so hopefully I can rope him into helping soon. Probably a good time to do the backscene and sides while we're at it.

In the meantime I've come to the conclusion that I would be more motivated to work on the layout if I was able to play trains with it. I have a blue Class 25 originally acquired for Empire Mills that has now been fitted with Ultrascale wheels. I used it as a test vehicle while trackbuilding, but it's a little too long for the layout. I can get the engine and zero wagons into the headshunt. Because of this I have been concentrating my efforts on getting the Park tank to a state of completedness that I can use it. It has now been fitted with a very powerful 7 pole Maxon motor, buffers, and coupling hooks. I spent a few minutes earlier today shuffling some wagons around and quite enjoyed it. It's also very nice to be able to test the track as it will be used, rather than by pushing things through by hand. In doing so I have come across a couple of issues that need addressing:

1) Two wagons that when placed between the locomotive and the rest of the train on a pushing movement like to jump the track at the first possibility. Light weight almost certainly the cause.

2) One section of track 0.4mm overgauge, not sure how that happened.

3) Two switchblades protruding above the adjacent stock rails, again, not sure how I missed them before.

All in all it was a worthwhile thing to do, I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to work on the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Is'nt it going to be tricky to use your press tool hard up against a wall? Perhaps better to put down (screw) a strip of plastic template where the wall is going to go and then take it up after completing the setts?

Is'nt it going to be tricky to use your press tool hard up against a wall? Perhaps better to put down (screw) a strip of plastic template where the wall is going to go and then take it up after completing the setts?

I don't think it will be much harder than doing it up against the rails. For the odd sett, or even a row of setts up against a wall, it's not too much extra work to carve them entirely by hand if the tool can't reach. I may add a wall to the test piece and try it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Just a quick post to show that I have progressed to having a backscene for the layout. It's 15" high and greatly helps to enclose the layout. While cutting plywood we cut a few more bits to help frame in the scenery, retaining walls, buildings, and so forth.

91776B22-93B8-4D47-9311-E441820E8916_zps

C733293B-9D47-4DE2-93F7-A4F2B0116763_zps

I've been working on framing in the retaining walls. I'm just about done with the wood cutting and things are fitting pretty well. It will be a while before I actually glue things in place though. It will be far easier and will produce better results to build each wall on it's own and then add it to the layout. I cut up my last two sheets of Slaters bricks today and fit them temporarily with double sided tape. I've ordered more brick sheet, but in the meantime I've got enough scraps to start detailing the area I've got.

6F599FFE-5944-4666-B54B-23A53C92FD51_zps

002C7B26-99A3-42E4-A9EE-77476E7EED05_zps

10E041B2-9F3D-4FFB-8157-EE70E430DF27_zps

54ED76A4-AA9E-4CA8-9971-5454FF6C6BC3_zps

Here are some pictures of actual retaining walls in the area.
IMG_7391_zpsunb1rnw6.jpg

IMG_7395_zpsfwdklord.jpg

IMG_7397_zpspzv4bhhp.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

After a month of being distracted by 2mmFS I have come back to the retaining wall. With more brick sheet in hand I was able to cut a correctly sized piece for bridge wall. Following on from that I have almost completed the detailing on the ramp wall. It was done by building up multiple layers of brick sheet and attaching them in what look to be the correct places. Still some bits left to do, then the other wall, but it's coming together.

7E38746E-8D1F-4002-AAE1-9CA0C9DA4483_zps

• 2 weeks later...
Having actually been working on this project a good amount recently has given me the opportunity to discover a rather major flaw in the design: the actual operation of the layout is mind-numbingly boring. I spent a little while playing around with a couple of things to see if I could make relatively minor changes that would liven things up a bit, but in the end I came to the conclusion that a yard of this sized probably wouldn't have an exceedingly complex trackwork and that starting over with something better was the best course of action.

For the sake of clarity I'll start a new thread for the new layout. It can be found here:http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122023-unnamed-inner-city-wharf/

Archived