Shawplan vs. Flushglaze coach windows

Writing from the USA so I have not had an opportunity to see these window replacement sets in person.  Please advise/recommend which, in your opinion, are the best, easiest to use, etc.  Any special techniques for attaching/inserting? They look like a good idea, but....

Thanks

George

North Carolina

On the plus side, Shawplan will give you a better result if you are a competent modeller.

Added advantage of not having a "bubble effect"

Downside (if you consider it one) is cost when compared to the Flushglaze.

The South Eastern Finecast stuff is easy to use but doesn't look as good. With the shawplan you carefully fit the shaped pieces into the various window apertures. When I have used a similar thing I have fitted them in and then painted the entire interior surface of the " glass"with Revell enamel clear gloss varnish. This runs into the join but doesn't show any gluey whitened edges when dry. This particular varnish dries quickly and without any brush marks. Make sure to remove any dust before applying. Sometimes a tiny speck of dust left on can look quite big when coated but almost disappears when dry, luckily.

It is not worth doing flush glazing on most modern models as they are so good these days. An old Lima 87,however,  would be much improved by flush glazing just the front windows.

Does anyone know if Shawplans list of available kits is up to date.  It seems to me that I had seen under a separate news item that they were doing a kit for the old Mainline Mk1s

It'll be up to date, they do flush glazing for a lot of older models, especially ones like that and the Airfix stuff where the overall detail was pretty good just let down by the windows.

• RMweb Premium

Comparing Shawplan laser glaze to SEF flush glaze is like comparing a Rolls Royce (Shawplan) to a car wreck. The Shawplan product produces, with a bit of care, a truly first class flush glaze, the other definitely does not!

I have used SEF flush glaze on a few loco's year's back. After a while the glaze turn's  to a yellow tint.

Me too! I did a lima dmu with SEF glazing and it went a horrible shade of yellow... I've never looked back since I've found laserglaze.

My tip is run a black marker pen around the edges before fitting and I've started to use humbrol clear to fit. Problem is as soon as you do one you'll want to do all your stock! Personally I think most models including modern ones benefit.

Cheers

Will

Yes lazerglaze looks excellent, I concur on the black marker though as the edge looks absolutely awful without it. I fix mine with thinned gloss enamel varnish but humbrol clear is just as good at the job. SEF is very dated now but still better than old stock with the glazing 2mm behind the bodyside surface!

• 2 weeks later...

Once again - thank you all for good advice.  Here in the USA "Watch Crystal Cement" is often used for windows, etc on model cars, aircraft & trains to fix curved clear plastic.  Dries clear - cleans (before it sets) with IPA - comes it a tube with needle-point applicator (obviously for watch crystals).  Check your local jeweler.

George

North Carolina

Shawplan - comes down to can you get hold of Brian

Just leave Brian an email.... he will get back to you.  He's a busy guy but he will contact you eventually and the products he sells are superb.  Best bet is to catch him at one of the numerous shows he does!!

(No affiliation to Shawplan.... just a happy customer)

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Writing from the USA so I have not had an opportunity to see these window replacement sets in person.  Please advise/recommend which, in your opinion, are the best, easiest to use, etc.  Any special techniques for attaching/inserting? They look like a good idea, but....

Thanks

George

North Carolina

Shawplan glazing is far better than the Flushglaze system, there's a how to use it here

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/window-dressing-and-first-show/

As far as I'm aware there aren't any plans to do Mainline manufactured Mark1's. Development of the range has slowed over the past year due to other commitments on Brians time, he is the traditional one man band!

Archived