Locomotion announce limited edition E5001 Hornby Class 71

Andy Y

What is the difference between this and the standard Hornby model please? all I can see looking here

http://www.ehattons.com/135689/Hornby_R3373_Class_71_E5001_in_BR_Green/StockDetail.aspx

is a coat of Gloss varnish ? and a presumably a different box for £159.95 and it is missing the Yellow front panels .

Hattons do the "normal" version for £127.50.

edit

Hattons also state in their listing that R3373 version is as preserved as well.

The mainstream E5001 version also has small yellow warning panels too. The mainstream shows how it was in recent times, the gloss one, how it may well soon be. I believe one of the DJM ones in contributing to a repaint as well.

Of course my preference is for the early 60s on a Pullman.

• RMweb Premium

Class 71 side.jpg

BR Class 71 – E5001

post-1-0-98742300-1464260658_thumb.jpg

Locomotionmodels.com are pleased and proud to announce the latest addition to their National Collection in Miniature range – the BR Class 71 No. E5001 in the locomotive’s planned impending livery and available for delivery from 1 July.

Currently waiting for a much needed planned livery refurbishment, the National Collection’s Class 71, No. E5001 has been immortalised as a ‘00’ scale model in it’s intended livery exclusively for Locomotionmodels.com. Working closely with Hornby the Locomotion models team have under a strict confidentially agreement commissioned a certificated Limited Edition of just 250 models resplendent in the new planned livery with the models available from the 30th June.

post-1-0-16010100-1464260661_thumb.jpg

This superbly detailed DCC Ready model has been especially produced for Locomotionmodels.com with a gloss finish by Hornby and will without doubt due to the low number produced bound to be in great demand. Only 250 have been produced, therefore we have recommended on the Locomotionmodels.com website that those wishing to own such a model should place their order immediately so as to avoid disappointment.

The retail price of the Locomotion Models specially commissioned model of the BR Class 71, No. E5001 is £159.95 plus P&P. and can be ordered via the Internet - www.locomotionmodels.com, or call 01904 685785. Alternatively those requiring a model can also write to Locomotionmodels.com, The NRM at Shildon, Shildon, Co Durham DL4 2RE

post-1-0-82070200-1464260662_thumb.jpg

Historical Notes

Introduced to mainline traffic in 1958 the Class 71 locomotives were classified as a mixed traffic locomotive and proved to be equally suitable when used to haul heavy freight or indeed express passenger trains. Renowned for their impressive acceleration, the locomotives were used on the Southern Railways most prestigious services including the London – Paris ‘Night Ferry’ train as well as the equally famous ‘Golden Arrow’ service, becoming the locomotive of choice for many years.

With the advent of the Southern EMUs, the Class tended to be used mainly for freight operation, however eventually the inflexibility and the reliance on electricity meant that even as a freight locomotive the Class 71 had become redundant and eventually the decision was made to withdraw the remaining 14 from service on the last day of 1977.

Only one of the Class was preserved as part of the National Collection and is the subject of this exclusive limited edition model and represents the first of the class, E5001 in its current preserved 2016 livery.

Comment - AY

At least this model features the cab-corner ventilators correctly as this model is of the loco as preserved. None of the Hornby main range items in early liveries should have these prominent features.

Looking at Hornby Magazines review in the latest issue, it seems that all the models have the cab corner ventilators.

• 4 weeks later...

Compared to the pre-prod. models seen from DJ Models, this one looks a bit too toy-like for my liking. Those wipers, for example - almost as bad as the ones on the Bachmann class 20!

I'd blame picture quality. And regarding the wipers, I totally disagree... Bachmann's representation looks hideous and Hornby's has a better look to it.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/content/class-20-d8000~494.jpg

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/content/hornbynrm-exclusive-class-71-no-e5001~524.jpg

Guest spet0114

I'd blame picture quality. And regarding the wipers, I totally disagree... Bachmann's representation looks hideous and Hornby's has a better look to it.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/content/class-20-d8000~494.jpg

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/content/hornbynrm-exclusive-class-71-no-e5001~524.jpg

Andy's photos generally give a fair idea of how the model looks in the flesh, so I don't think your theory is particularly sound, especially since the photos of the DJM model to which I was comparing the Hornby offering were taken by the same person under essentially identical conditions. (See page 30 of the DJM thread).

Regarding the wipers, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Both the photos you link to show, IMO, poor representations of wipers. The Hornby ones look a little better, but not by much (as I originally opined). Bear in mind that the Bachmann tooling is over a decade old whereas the Hornby tooling is brand new. That says a lot, to my mind about what the two companies think today's market will tolerate.

Anyhow, I got a lot of grief the last time I had the temerity to criticise a Locomotion model, so this'll be my last post on this subject.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi all

Class 71 will be arriving slightly later than we expected, so just to make sure we don't give out the wrong information on delivery times we thought we would just hang on a bit for confirmation of those dates. We haven't sold out just yet and it should be back on sale in next to no time! Flying Scotsman and VTEC NRM40 arriving first.

Cheers

Sandra

• 1 month later...

Hi all

After a long wait, sorry about that but a common occurrence in this hobby, I have taken delivery this morning of the class 71. If you bought one already we should get all prepaid models out on Monday to arrive with you on Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest.

If you haven't bought one - WHY NOT?!?!?!?

It is beautiful!! Not my cuppa tea and even I like it!!

The detail is top notch, the finish is superb, it's an absolutely fine all rounder !!

Looking at it this morning when I was checking a few over, I was thinking that the models we are producing under the national collection in miniature banner are getting better and better. (Ok Hornby have a hand in that too this time). oh the future is so very bright!!

Cheers

Sandra

Hi All,

I've just taken delivery of my NCiM version of E5001 for my Stewarts Lane project and would like to vouch for what a fantastic model this is in the flesh.

The paint finish is absolutely 'special' but the interior cab detail really finishes this model off perfectly.

The online purchase was a very straightforward affair with no issues but have to say I'm also well impressed with the comms. from Sandra to keep us all informed, Thank You!

Looking forward to another purchase in the future.......

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think this looks excellent, the gloss finish really suits it and the Hornby Class 71 is very well done. Although it may be a bit too glossy for running on a layout I think it would be perfect if bought for display in a wall unit. The demands of the collector market are very different from those of the model market in some ways (but not in others) and it is a perfectly legitimate market for suppliers to target. The degree of shine is a difficult one to get right as while I wouldn’t want running models to be very shiny I also think that if the finish is too flat is just doesn’t look right. I like a semi-gloss lustre, but that is just me. If looking at the real thing, trains can go from a high shine almost wet look when brand new (depending on the paint/vinyl) to washed out dullness that is a completely different colour to the finish when new.

On Hornby and commissions, the only question I’d ask on that is why it took Hornby so long to participate in the commission market. Their competitors all do it to some degree and in the case of Rapido their UK ventures so far seem to be restricted to producing models on behalf of others. There is a market there, if Hornby don’t serve it then others clearly will (including by-passing the traditional model companies and dealing with factories directly) so they may as well be a part of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this looks excellent, the gloss finish really suits it and the Hornby Class 71 is very well done. Although it may be a bit too glossy for running on a layout I think it would be perfect if bought for display in a wall unit. The demands of the collector market are very different from those of the model market in some ways (but not in others) and it is a perfectly legitimate market for suppliers to target. The degree of shine is a difficult one to get right as while I wouldn’t want running models to be very shiny I also think that if the finish is too flat is just doesn’t look right. I like a semi-gloss lustre, but that is just me. If looking at the real thing, trains can go from a high shine almost wet look when brand new (depending on the paint/vinyl) to washed out dullness that is a completely different colour to the finish when new.

On Hornby and commissions, the only question I’d ask on that is why it took Hornby so long to participate in the commission market. Their competitors all do it to some degree and in the case of Rapido their UK ventures so far seem to be restricted to producing models on behalf of others. There is a market there, if Hornby don’t serve it then others clearly will (including by-passing the traditional model companies and dealing with factories directly) so they may as well be a part of it.

If you ask locomotion, sound can be fitted to these for you, using Legomanbiffo sounds.    Charlie

The counter argument to that is the normal run of the mill model shops will have nothing interesting to sell. I bet they grate their teeth when they see something gorgeous being only for the collectors club or a particular shop.

• RMweb Premium

I think the retailer commission models will hurt those shops that are not part of the distribution arrangement for these models. However, from Hornby's perspective it is a market that is there to exploit and they will be paid upfront for the full run with very little commercial risk. Hornby didn't create this market and are latecomers to it, I think they have little choice but to get involved, particularly given their financial condition. This is a small part of Hornby's business and the overwhelming majority of Hornby models are distributed via regular channels, Rapido's UK models have been commission only sold by Locomotion and a significant percentage of DJM's models are commissions. I'm not criticising either as it is good commercial sense but I think we have to be consistent with this and if people are happy for Hattons, Kernow, Locomotion etc to work with Bachmann, Rapido and DJM then we can't object to Hornby following suit.

• RMweb Gold

The counter argument to that is the normal run of the mill model shops will have nothing interesting to sell. I bet they grate their teeth when they see something gorgeous being only for the collectors club or a particular shop.

Nothing stopping a shop launching their own commission... they can goto a manufacturer, a producer or goto Alibaba.com and do the whole thing themselves.

Nothing stopping a shop launching their own commission... they can goto a manufacturer, a producer or goto Alibaba.com and do the whole thing themselves.

The trouble is such a commission for a small shop, ties up at least some 50 grand in money. This is something most small shops cannot afford to do. Setting up a trustee system whereby everyone pays up front is equally daunting both to the shop and the customers.

The alternative are wagons, but they don,t shift particularly fast either.

When I worked the Signal Box in the 90s, whom were a fairly big player, we took a good couple of years to shift 500 KESR Lima class 73s (back then selling at £36 each). Aside from tying up money, it tied up space too. Although we talked about other exclusives, none got past the drawing stage and the next exclusives only appeared when Modelzone (and the internet) took over.

• RMweb Premium

I think the risks faced by a small business in commissioning a model are considerable, ditto people establishing a model company. That's why I seldom begrudge them their profit. If they take the risk then they deserve the profit.

Archived