gresley coach

I have been given a lner coach its an Ian Kirk kit it has wheel sets and a roof. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help? The next question is could I use the coach to turn an articulated twin into a three set? If I can it will be painted carmine and cream. There were no instructions and I don't have any info on gresley coaches so I'm stuck!! Thanks in advance Steve

post-28019-0-84088400-1464634370_thumb.jpg

post-28019-0-83949600-1464634383_thumb.jpg

That looks like a non-gangwayed lavatory composite - built for secondary services, and definitely not part of mainline articulated sets.  (the LNER's cunning scheme to provide access to the toilet for all in a coach without having to re-equip the entire train with gangwayed stock)

As it's not gangwayed , it would be plain carmine , not carmine and cream

PS : whoever built it got one thing wrong - the corridor shouldn't extend along the outer compartments . Notice that the outermost compartments have small windows and a door on both sides, Those compartments were full width

Edited by Ravenser

I have been given a lner coach its an Ian Kirk kit it has wheel sets and a roof. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help? The next question is could I use the coach to turn an articulated twin into a three set? If I can it will be painted carmine and cream. There were no instructions and I don't have any info on gresley coaches so I'm stuck!! Thanks in advance Steve

As well as the full width end compartments, there should also be a dividing partition between the rwo toilets! Obvious when you think about it....

I did realise about the divider for the toilets but as the windows are frosted/white do I need them. A case of not seen not needed or am I just lazy

I will however alter the end compartments

Edited by stevejjjexcov

Hi Steve

"Historic Carriage Drawings Volume One" by Nick Campling, ISBN 1-899816-04-6 has drawings and a picture of this type of coach.

It is likely that the angle underframe is incorrect as the LNER used truss rod underframes until well into the 1930s.  The examples listed in the above volume date from 1925 to 1929.  As far as I know, and certainly with the kits I have purchased from Ian Kirk, he supplies truss type mouldings.

When you come to do the underframe bear in mind that there should be battery boxes on both sides.  My effort should give you some idea of the arrangements:

post-5673-0-16069700-1464636856_thumb.jpg

I have also added cross beams and coil springs to the bogies.  One of the nice things about Ian's kits is that it is easy to add detail and improve on things like the door handles.

Regards.

Hi again

It has only just occurred to me - is your kit 4mm scale?

If so, that probably accounts for the angle underframe.  Mine is 7mm scale.  If you click on the photo you will see it full size.

Regards.

Good morning all

The 51ft1in stock was coupled together to produce twins, but never triplets.

There were triplet restaurant/kitchen cars produced for main line services. 

There were many examples of old six and eight wheel coaches coupled together to form twin, triplets, quads and even quints. 

However, kits for the constituents of these are like hen's teeth. I believe D&S have produced a few, and Diagram3d list four laser cut body kits.

I like the articulated carriages and have tried producing some by hacking old Triang/Hornby coaches, but the results aren't that impressive.

Earlswood nob

What you have there is three-fifths of a very common set which the LNER used in different forms all over the network.  There would be two BT-T twins with a CL in between. 

The twin should be crimson, though as has been pointed out already.

Thanks for all the help. Do I now repaint the twin or say sod it and leave it cos I like it and it wont be run anywhere but home mmmmmm time for a think!

Shouldn't take that much thinking in that case, some times just remember it's your railway run by you Not the real LNER, there's all ready a big problems with the accuracy of your railway,in that you shove 12V in the loco not Coal! just keep it until you run out of things to do on a wet weekend ! And enjoy!

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 1

Shouldn't take that much thinking in that case, some times just remember it's your railway run by you Not the real LNER, there's all ready a big problems with the accuracy of your railway,in that you shove 12V in the loco not Coal! just keep it until you run out of things to do on a wet weekend ! And enjoy![/quote

Lol that's it then it stays as is!!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
Just now, Norton Wood said:

What type of LNER Articulated Twin is this and what running numbers did they have? Also I assume it's appropriate for an LNER(GE) Section layout?

From the standard reference works, it appears that the only first/brake third twin arts were dia 272 built for the Glasgow/Edinburgh suburban services just before World War Two.  However, these had a five-compartment brake third.

No twin-arts were allocated to the GE section before the War, though some found their way there later.

D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

From the standard reference works, it appears that the only first/brake third twin arts were dia 272 built for the Glasgow/Edinburgh suburban services just before World War Two.  However, these had a five-compartment brake third.

No twin-arts were allocated to the GE section before the War, though some found their way there later.

D

Thank you, very helpful! :)

• Like 1

That brake coach is a cut and shut, isn't it?

First class was less common on the GE than other areas - their lav composite (D244) had one fewer first class compartment than all the other areas.  You might find them more useful if you made them back into two separate carriages.