EM1 to Ashton Moss short video.

Red Devil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for putting that up Mark. I often saw the wires at Ashton gate when I was travelling on the Trans-Pennines and think that I once saw an EM1 there but normally not a sign.

Jamie

Yes, I too was taken with that shot down off the viaduct, strangely nostalgic and thought provoking.

All that railway infrastructure, no wonder it fascinated us.

Manchester Railway Trivia; the Mirrlees National gable end was the old National Gas Engine Co., at Ashton. They supplied, amongst much else, the 400hp diesel engines for the first two Manchester Ship Canal diesels

post-6861-0-56615900-1464683337.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice video!

Can anyone identify the all-blue BSK/BSO behind the loco at 1:08? It's also briefly visible at 0:30.

Here's a link to the tour on Six Bells, which says 6 Mk1s were used but I don't think I've ever seen an all blue gangwayed Mk1.

I was thinking it looked like an all green one escaped from the southern region?

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking it looked like an all green one escaped from the southern region?

You may be right, it looked blue the first time but on second viewing I'm tending towards green..... though the shade doesn't seem to match the green loco or the attached blue/grey coach.

• RMweb Gold

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

You can embed the photos here using the BB code.

p3379816265-5.jpg

There's a WTT from 1962 in the Foxline Woodhead book, which shows up to a dozen workings per day from Mottram Yard to Ashton Moss South Jct or sidings. I suppose that as the years wore on, and more Trans-Pennine traffic was diverted onto the Standage route, it became less and less necessary. It would be interesting to see a photo from the blue era.