Irish Railway's station scale track plans

Baldwin30762

Hi all

Let me introduce myself to you, my name is Colin Rainsbury and I live in North West Kent near Dartford, I have been an enthusiast of most Irish railways for some time, I have up until now concentrated on the Irish narrow gauge lines and I am working toward building something with a Donegal feel to it.

My Interest was sparked by the late David Lloyd who built the 00n3 layout Coolcalaghta in the 1980's and the Augher Valley Railway back in the 1960's.

I am also a big fan of the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway In North Devon. But I guess my biggest influence on my interests on the narrow gauge has been those big red tank locos from the County Donegal Railway. My first colour photo of the narrow gauge was the one by Patrick Whitehouse which later appeared on the front of one of his books of one of the Donegal Tank locos. 

With that now over, I now come to one of my big problems. You see, I would like to find some Irish Broad Gauge station track plans (hopefully to a scale I can work from).

In the long term and space permitting I would like to build Strabane which would include both broad and narrow gauge lines on it. One end would go to Derry and the other end I would like to build something on the lines of Downpatrick / Newcastle or Ardglass on the BCDR system to start with.

The old C.I.E. trackplan's are just as hard to find over here, I have tried the internet to see if I could find a site which might be able to help, but so far nothing, I want to get the feel for a typical Irish railway station at one point,so  I was wondering what was the name of the station used in the John Wayne film the Quiet Man? 

Some people have said in the past why don't I use an English station design? little do they know that the Irish railway system is unique in its plan's, also it's operations, besides it would be down right wrong to do so.

Other stations I would like to find out a bit more and that would be Sligo, Galway, Ballaghaderreen on the Midland Great Western Railway.

Well I think that will do for now

Regards

Colin Rainsbury 

Sorry, can't help with the plans, but I remember thinking how good David Lloyd's work was until I read about it in the Toddler and saw it was non-working.

Ed

Yes I was the same until I saw the locos up close, they are lovely models, I think he said that only one or two could be made to work if he so wanted them, but I guess we shall never know now, that said so many of them are now done in 4mm brass kits, that it would be possible to rebuild the layout as a working exhibition if anyone had a mind to do so. 

I think the layout itself has disappeared in to the mists of time as Davids partner wanted to take it back from Peco after they had it on display, I think Peco still have all the stock but not the layout, the last thing I heard was they have lost contact with the lady concerned even thought they have put out an appeal for the layout, so if anyone hears anything about the layout please PM me and we shall see what can be done.

Try the Ordnance Survey map viewer http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10., select the area you want and you can zoom in to see old track layouts.

Hope this is some help.

Hi I notice that this only covers Ireland (Eire) and not Northern Ireland, do you happen to know a link that would allow this to happen thanks.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

There are quite a lot of GNR(I) station trackplan diagrams in the book 'The Golden Years of the Great Northern Railway' Part One by RM Arnold. These are small sketches (several to an A5 page in my paperback Blackstaff Press copy) probably based on OS maps, it looks like that sort of presentation. The diagrams show track layout (narrow gauge too, in the case of Strabane, which is on p.72). There are many photos, mainly locos and coaching stock but some have decent station views.

There was a book 'Railway Days in Strabane' published locally (Northern Ireland) in the early 1990s, no longer have my copy so can't comment on content. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Days-in-Strabane/dp/0950781258

Belfast Central Library has old NI OS maps including those issued c.1960 from which I got many good track diagrams, tho all on the NCC & BCDR sections. They may still have these.

There is a schematic (not map-style, to-scale birds-eye view) diagram of Strabane station in UTA days in 'Along UTA Lines' by Ian McLarnon Sinclair, along with one colour and several b&w pics of Strabane, with similar coverage (track and buildings layout diagram and pics) or all other UTA stations, c.late 1950s-mid-1960s. This IMHO is the 'must' have' reference on stations in NI, certainly in that period.

Ivor

Edit - attached is a 600 dpi scan of the page in RM Arnold's book with the Strabane map, no ground scale is shown, as you can see. In the credits, RM Arnold attributed most of the work on these to Wallace Gamble and John Richardson, the rest to OS.

post-15566-0-39788800-1464815477_thumb.jpg

Below is a scan of the 'Along UTA Lines' diagram for Strabane.

post-15566-0-47110600-1464816474_thumb.jpg

The pics in the latter book are from a photo and info-gathering survey conducted by Dr WA McCutcheon in the early 1960s. The full set of pics is in the Historic Monuments and Building Branch, Dept of the Envorinment, archive in central Belfast. Some of this, including several survey drawings of station buildings including some GNR(I), was included in Dr McCutcheon's book 'The Industrial Archaeology of Northern Ireland', copies of which can be consulted in Belfast Central Library and in the city's Linnenhall Library.

Hi I notice that this only covers Ireland (Eire) and not Northern Ireland, do you happen to know a link that would allow this to happen thanks.

Regards

Colin

Yes, the Ordinance Survey in Ireland and Northern Ireland are separate organisations.  Try https://mapshop.nidirect.gov.uk/Catalogue/Digital-products/Historical-products if you want to purchase historical maps of a particular location in Northern Ireland at a particular point in time, but these maps are not free to browse.

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Colin

It's a bit clunky but try this

http://maps.ehsni.gov.uk/SixInchSeries/

Should soon be replaced by Spatial NI

https://www.spatialni.gov.uk

which is meant to include OS 6 inch in due course.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Guys

Just found some more information about Irish stations track plans here:-

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/IRFN/

Basically they are a series of newsletters from years ago and are written in the first hand, so give an account of the Irish Railway scene at the time, you have to look through the list to find the odd drawing, but the information I have come across is most useful.

Regards

Colin

• 1 month later...

Colin

If you are intending to purchase a book on the BCDR then I can recommend Desmond Coakham's final one published by Colourpoint Books. It has been on the shelves for a couple of years now and retails at £25. It is the BCDR "bible" and contains a track plan of every station  on the  network. These are not absolute scale drawings but are good enough to produce a model from and can be checked for dimensions using Google Earth.

I have a particular obsession with the BCDR and have set up a Facebook page to record all I can on the subject. Have a browse through  https://www.facebook.com/RemnantsOfTheBCDR/  for a collection of photos which are largely my own and a number of links to other web sites on the subject. These should prove helpful.

John

Colin

I just tried the link and for some reason it does not connect. If you have a facebook account  just type   Remnants of the BCDR   into the search box and it should take you there. Alternatively a Google search using the same  Remnants of the BCDR  should find the facebook page. Hope this works for you.

John

Colin

I just tried the link and for some reason it does not connect. If you have a facebook account  just type   Remnants of the BCDR   into the search box and it should take you there. Alternatively a Google search using the same  Remnants of the BCDR  should find the facebook page. Hope this works for you.

John

John, 

You have a couple of spaces after the last backslash of the URL that you posted.  Delete these and it should work - ie https://www.facebook.com/RemnantsOfTheBCDR/ if anyone else has a problem.

Archived