Kirtley Model Buildings

kirtleypete

Only a week to Telford so time for an update. I'll be on stand 30, and will have all my usual goodies plus some finished buildings; Nailsworth station building, a Settle and Carlisle two bay station building, Chappel and Wakes Colne goods shed, Wateringbury station building, a small LBSCR signal box plus some smaller buildings.

The MR engine shed layout has made progress so here are some pictures:

36671357991_c8a375fdbc_c.jpg

We have since found out that the yellow colour wasn't used on water columns until 1907 so they have been repainted in cream which look a lot better. 

36671358651_48c274ba54_c.jpg

36811048665_0991c5500e_c.jpg

I wouldn't normally paint brickwork but my customer insisted. 

36811049785_f3676cec3e_c.jpg

36811050735_a4d5f600a6_c.jpg

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have replaced my website - the address is now www.kirtleymodels.co.uk  ...I'd be interested to know what people think of it.

I've redone our layouts site too - it's now www.smithslayouts.co.uk

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

The overall roof is about finished; all I need to do now is fill in the gaps around the station building. It's removable for obvious reasons which means it has had to be made strong enough to put up with being moved.

It looked lovely when all the cream paint was bright and shiny but west Yorkshire in the 1930's meant it needed to be covered in sh........sorry, heavily weathered.

31346499360_5ff18c75a4_c.jpg

I must kill the shine on the platform surface.

Peter

Marvellous work and something I am trying to create in my own modest way.  Are the roof supports 3D prints? (sorry if I missed the answer in the thread).

Andrew

Hi Peter,

I was given a copy of your book ‘Scratchbuilt Buildings the Kirtley Way’ as I often use textured papers for my models when there is a time restriction on a project. Very impressed with the commissions you have undertaken - lovely work! When I first used downloaded photo textures the photo paper to hand had a silk finish, but I was able to dull it down with a coating of spray matt varnish. I now use a matt photo paper and the detail seams OK, but still have to varnish before doing any careful weathering!

Sorry to read your recent project was not going ahead - disappointing after so much intensive work.

Marlyn

Very true. We have about an inch here. it all depends on where the weather front hits the cold air. As it stands we should be OK until we get close to Birmingham as it stands. We have paid for our accommodation so we are sort of committed.

Marc  

• RMweb Gold

Peter,

I saw your post yesterday and thought it a sensible and pragmatic decision but continued dithering myself,

I had already decided in deference to the weather that we would travel friday, in daylight and allowing plenty of time.

That means i need to be loading the car today. The weather has helped me make my mind up, snow and ice underfoot, biting wind, drifts and more snow - been out in it for half an hour and have retreated to the warm thinking stuff that for a game of soldiers.

Certain guild officers posting "everyone will have to decide for themselves" are getting the air of a bloke on the titanic shouting "its not sinking"

• Like 3

I'm with you mate. I think it should have been cancelled this morning, then it's done and dusted. 

Happily on Saturday morning I won't be getting up at 6am, loading the car and driving to Kettering........................I'll be having a lie in!

Peter

• RMweb Gold

.I'll be having a lie in!

Me to.

I wonder how many more aren't going that we havent heard about. I was supposed to collect some motor/gearboxes and out of courtesy dropped them a line to say I'd not be there to get the reply that neither would they.

That collection was one of the arguments on the `still go' side of my internal dilemma so i could have been really miffed

The communication between the guild and traders isn't exactly great. But the OXO train must go on regardless. Interesting considering the new high vis jacket requirements!

Marc