'Moving the Goods'- Fuel and Oil by Rail

Fat Controller

The latest of this series of part-works has just been published. Whilst the text, and captions, almost certainly contain errors, the photos make up for any deficiencies.. Amongst interesting shots are one of 92220 leaving Pengam on a block train of what appear to be 'Regent' tanks, destined for Soho Pool and another of double-headed 57xx panniers on a train of ammonia tanks at Three Cocks Jct, Brecon.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a copy today whilst idling away five minutes in WHSmiths.  

Happily, I've been trying to work out what my tank traffic should comprise in Summer '68, and the content has pretty much backed up what I'd already gleaned from Paul B's excellent site.

Some breathtaking shots in here, possibly the most incredible is one of GT3 being fuelled from a road tanker in 1961, at Whitchurch, with a Class 44 Peak accompanying!!!

What caught my eye was the locomotive refueling tank at Goodrington Sands (p. 86-87).

From '82, which surprised me.

D400 on 4M26 Dalmarnock - Stanlow tanks at Frodsham is a bit special. 

All the Class 33s seem to have ploughs fitted as well!

It's an odd world.  For about the same money, but with slightly less convenience, you can follow the advertising links from this site and order a well researched book on the subject from HMRS.

(Having said that, I succumbed to the bookazine as well).

• 2 months later...

I've just picked up a copy - dad has the HMRS volume - and, based on a brief assessment, it's poor value. While there are some interesting and useful photographs, the photographic reproduction varies from ok to appalling and the text is dire, but given that Evan Green-Hughes is involved that doesn't surprise me.

More importantly, as a book, I can't work out what it's trying to do. The structure is peculiar: the chronological treatment makes relatively little sense with its single pre-Nationalisation picture segueing into familiar '50s and later pictures. The criteria for picture selection has emphasised block trains which cannot be said to be representative. Oddly, wagons are towards the end and are poorly treated. The locomotives of oil installations are given more pictures this the vehicles they were built to manoeuvre. I know this is a loco-centric world but this is bizarre!

Some example errors:

• The picture of Crumlin viaduct Brian notes has been transposed and the original is either a low res-scan or wasn't big enough to take being blown up to this size. A shame since it is an attractive image. In any event, those wagons would have been for ammonia liquor rather than oil (though oil could have been the raw material this is not spelt out). There are more ammonia tanks featured (the frost on them being a good clue) on pages 47 and 38-9.
  • p86, bottom shows three tanks which are implied to be inter-war vehicles. A5391 nearest the camera is a welded 14ton vehicle while the two further away are anchor-mounted. All are wartime or post war types.

As a collection of pictures, it's relatively interesting but for context - don't bother with the text - you'll have to look elsewhere.

Adam

Archived