Photo request for ScR Mk2 BSO(T) please

Guest eddie reffin

Guest eddie reffin

As per the title, does anyone have any pictures of the batch of BSO(T) conversions that were common on the WHL in lates 80s. They were numbered from 9100-07 and were Blue/Grey livery. I'm actually after specifically the buffet windows to see what was inside. All the pics I have found are of later preserved examples. All my books have hazy pics of the coaches as people mainly focussed on the locos.

Thanks

Eddie

• RMweb Premium

i haven't found any online pics yet but there are a couple of diagram drawings:

AH203 has a counter with a space for the trolley and a standing area opposite (as per the mk2c/2d TSOT)

post-1060-0-19650100-1465080685.jpg

AH204 just has a pair of seats removed to give a space for the trolley

post-1060-0-11262600-1465080775.jpg

1988 platform 5 book has them all as AH203 with 23 seats - in brackets, there is an asterisk note to signify those with 27 seats, but none of the numbers have an asterisk against them!

presumably the details/fittings were similar to the TSOTs, a thread about them here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9279-information-on-mk2-micro-buffets/

hopefully some pics will turn up as although diagrams were issued, these were usually fairly low-cost 'local' conversions, so individual coaches may vary

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddie,

I was sure Steve Jones had a photo of one of these on his old site - but I can't find it at present.

No doubt it will be on one of my backups from the time.

Anyway....

Numbers          Built    Location     Condition
BSOT      BSO
9000       9276 1956   Doncaster  Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway Awaiting restoration
9001       9275 1956   Doncaster  Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway In service
9003       9377 1963   Wolverton  Dean Forest Railway In service

Thanks

Guest eddie reffin

Hi

Those numbers you quoted are the smaller batch of Mk1 conversions that were done first. It's the later mk2 type that I'm looking for. Andrew Vines book Diesels in the Highlands has been helpful to a point but none of the pics actually show the first bay window.

I did see the thread on here with the conversion of a 4mm one which has been helpful. As keefer says, the local nature of the work meant that each coach was rather unique!

The search goes on....

• RMweb Premium

a wee bit more info, which may or may not clarify/confuse things!

keep forgetting i have the longworth mk1 & 2 coaches book. the details given in there are as follows:

post-1060-0-00579400-1465144667.jpg

notice in this diagram, one seat has been removed in the next bay, moving the centre gangway off-centre, in order to give more room when moving into the trolley area. this layout gives the correct number of 23 seats.

The book also mentions the option of 27 seats - this must be reached by taking the AH204 diagram shown above and removing the other pair of seats next to the trolley space. Although that said, these 2 seats look slightly different to the normal seats in the drawing, so may be tip-up seats?

The numbers given are E9100/1, converted 9/83 and transferred to ScR in 7/85 & 9/85

SC9102-7 were converted in 9/86

Also looked in the Harris mk2 book which states on p.110:

"Nos 9101/2 were the first to be dealt with and minimal facilities were provided: the one lavatory was converted to serve as storage and a washing area for the steward. On  Nos 9103-7, one seating bay was replaced by a counter and framework for the catering trolley.

The [first two] were used on the ER, then on services from Inverness - the others on the West Highland Line"

Although this passage gets the numbers wrong (the first two were 9100/1 and the others were 9102-7), it would seem possible that 9100/1 were as diagram AH204 (only basic space provided) and 9103-7 were as AH203 (counter with docking space for trolley)?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddie,

OK - Didn't read the numberuing right!

Anyway

Numbers           Built                Location                                       Condition

BSOT       BSO

9100        9405 1966 Derby    Royal Deeside Railway                 Static use as a visitor centre
9101        9398 1966 Derby    Vintage Trains                               Mainline charter service
9102        9383 1966 Derby    Northampton & Lamport Railway  In service
9103        9389 1966 Derby    Nottingham Heritage Centre         In service
9104        9401 1966 Derby    West Coast Railways                    Mainline charter service
9105        9404 1966 Derby    Peak Rail                                      In service
9106        9406 1966 Derby    Scraped
9107        9407 1966 Derby    Scraped

Sounds like a trip to Royal Deeside Railway is required!

Thanks

Guest eddie reffin

Cheers for the replies guys. I have now found some pics of Sc9107 on Ernie Brack's Flickr page. Just lost a couple of hours in total nostalgia! Now have all the suitable info to have a go at an N gauge one. The diagrams make sense now I have seen the pics so it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Thanks again both

Appreciated.

I agree, there were two different versions within the allocated Mark 2 BSO(T) 
I suspect the later batch was a "cheapie" Glasgow Works or Cowlairs conversion 

From memory 

The first batch had one entire bay converted
Seats removed 
On one side a trolley locking bay / passing corridor 
On the other side a serving counter 

The second batch had one side of seats removed only, on the toilet side (see photos) 
That side had only the trolley locking bay 

In both cases the toilet and area was converted for staff use 

Archived