Would you pay £599 for this building?

Cheekypaul

• RMweb Premium

Property prices being what they are these days, I'd say £600 was cheap for an unusual residence requiring updating.....!

That's assuming it doesn't fall over first. Perhaps it was built for a Far Twittering layout?

If you bother to watch the BBC program 'Money for Nothing' firstly you get an idea of the cost of bespoke dare I say it 'craft work' and how much some are willing to pay for what is perceived the 'top end' work. As it happens some of the items do end up being very desirable 

Looks like something from a discount garden centre. Bit expensive for a bird feeder!

No doubt will be entered for the Turner prise at some time. Though photography can be very cruel and it might look far better in the flesh

• RMweb Gold

Windy's mill always struck me as being very dangerous as the sails came across the door opening.

Imagine if he nipped out for something and the wind got up, as there doesn't appear to be another door the thing would self destruct as he wouldn't be able to get in and put the sail brake on!

• RMweb Premium

I believe the term coined by BBC's Bargain Hunt 'Shedware' for something pretty naff made by a bloke in a shed is entirely appropriate here...

Windy's mill always struck me as being very dangerous as the sails came across the door opening.

Imagine if he nipped out for something and the wind got up, …...

I image it would certainly put the wind up Windy……..

• 2 months later...

I'm disappointed to see so many of what appear to be disparaging posts. First, I wouldn't pay anything like the amount asked, but then I'm tight fisted. From what can see it would have taken a long time to build, and in the right setting would probably look ok. It looks to be a construction which would have been maintained over the years by peasant labour as people struggled to make a living in providing food. The apparent list is because of the back being made as a viewing face to see the details inside. It's one of those things that someone things it will fetch a large amount of money to cover the cost of materials and time involved. If people did the same thing with locomotives, the figures would be about the same, and some would possibly be happy to pay, again, not me as I am mean.

The windmill would have been better showed in a representative setting, though the question would be would there have been an attendant railway handy? Showing it on a cutting mat does not show it at its best, but this applies to everything. When you look at some of the models and layouts featured on rmweb and elsewhere, if you didn't know it was a model, you would be hard pushed to be sure it wasn't real.

Archived