Which class of locomotives do you own the most of for your layout?

For a N gauge west German layout set around 1970, as far as steam is concerned, 7 Br50, 7 Br44, 4 Br01, 2 Br01.10, 3 Br86, 4 Br38, 2 Br39, 3 Br23, 2 Br03, 2 Br91, 2 Br55, 2 Br57 and 4 Br78.

For Electric locos, 3 Br103, 3 Br110, 2 Br110.3, 2 Br112, 3 Br140, 2 Br150 and 3 Br151.

For Diesel locos, 2 Br221, 4 Br212, 3 Br260/261 and 2 Br290.

I have quite a few singletons as well.

I would like possibly two Br82 0-10-0Ts but these are not yet available in N

Yes, the idea of a balanced stud is important. 

I've been involved with German-outline N since 1970. Some of the early Fleischmann Br50s could do with an upgrade but really all they need are finer coupling rods. The Br91s are very old, they still run well but tend to be shed queens.

Class 47s far out number everything else on my layout, I think there are 20 plus, second place Class 20s, mainly because I had a load of Lima 20s and then replaced them with Bachmann 20s, but as I quite liked the Lima ones they still appear.

I have 9 of the 16 477s  which were around in 85/86.  Bit if a cheat though as some are numbered differently on either side.  St Andrew,  St Mungo / St Cuthbert, Waverley, Greyfriars Bobby / Sir Walter Scott, Lady Diana Spencer, Grampian Region /  Haymarket.

But there are certainly no Sprinters anywhere to be seen!

Thanks to some advantageous prices from DCC Supplies the total number of Westerns here has now risen to 11 matching the Warships ;)

So it's you who has been emptying the cabinets! There always seems to be a steady disappearance of Westerns whenever I go in.

• RMweb Premium

As someone said on the first page, I thought this was a bit of a trivial question.  Then started trying to think of the answer.  After I counted 8 x 156s (I'm sure there's a 9th but can't think which!), a similar number of 153s and 158s, I decided I probably shouldn't try and count the rest... 

Amongst our group the usual multiples of the best rtr like Brits Clans  and Black 5s but I will embarrass one of our members and tell the world that he has 39 Duchesses!..yep I know

but one is a duplicate in another livery..he loves them that much.

All are weathered and detailed and running btw.

We are having a whip round in the group to pay for his long overdue therapy with a shrink!

Dave. 

- but I will embarrass one of our members and tell the world that he has 39 Duchesses!..yep I know

Dave.

Nothing wrong with that, if I had the spare dosh, I'd do the same - such is the temptation of the best class of steam locos built for express passenger work, and I have to put up with just one, but there again my layout is of a secondary, not main line. :-)

• RMweb Gold

I'm somewhere close to the list posted by 45059 in reply no 101 but without the 50s or 33s and with considerably more AC electrics (about 50 all told!)

Oh and the world's largest collection of HAA wagons, 240+ of them!

Perhaps more interesting to me would be the relative numbers of locos to units, coaches and wagons.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Just bought another Hornby County 4-4-0 bringing their total to 5

Only reason, coz it was 20 quid.

Once again I think i need serious psychiatric help.

Or an undertaker if the wife sees the parcel.

You definitely need help. You only need one GWR loco as they all look the same........

Cheers

Mick

Duplicates, not that many really:

Three class 31s by Triang Hornby, two blue (working) and a non-working green.

Three Jinty's of assorted ages.

These are all retired locos, everything else is a one-off and still capable of active service.

Nothing wrong with that, if I had the spare dosh, I'd do the same - such is the temptation of the best class of steam locos built for express passenger work, and I have to put up with just one, but there again my layout is of a secondary, not main line. :-)

The current club layout Alloa is not quite 'secondary' but its not suitable for Duchesses hence said member being the driving force behind the new build under construction.

New location will accommodate everything from an 0-4-4 tank to a Duchess and everything in between..including all the diesels.

At over 40ft and with such variety available should hopefully have the makings of a great exhibition layout.

Other members concerns though are that the fiddle 'only' has space for 84 trains so a certain person will have to be told he might have to share with A4s and

Brits plus the all the modern stuff like Gloucester DMUs..NBLs and BRCW type 2s.…modern of course means green not blue.

Dave.

I'm somewhere close to the list posted by 45059 in reply no 101 but without the 50s or 33s and with considerably more AC electrics (about 50 all told!)

Oh and the world's largest collection of HAA wagons, 240+ of them!

Perhaps more interesting to me would be the relative numbers of locos to units, coaches and wagons.

I'm still hopelessly locoholic, but I do go by the balanced roster logic, and everything on fleet strength has to be a genuine performer over the Waverley route, so that does bring some justification at least.  A further strata of 'logic' means a focus on locos allocated to depots that provided booked power to the WTT, so that's Holbeck Peaks, some LM Type 4s and a wealth of Haymarket's finest, joined by Highland baby Sulzers from May '68.  

My stretched operating window back to '67 means I 'justify' a far too generous stable of 12A death steam in the shape of Black Fives, Brits and Flying Pigs ('power for the branch').  

Each diesel class is represented, with some degree of latitude, according to a weighting of the percentage of the prototype known to have worked over the route, with supplying depot allocations factored in.

For this reason, skinhead 24s and 26/0s from HA, and Highland 24s and 26/1s predominate Type 2 power, with 64B's ex-Barrow Hill no-heat 25/3s and a few 12A examples.  Type 1s are dominated by 20-odd Claytons (ten pairs plus the Hawick pilot) and a brace of Choppers that never meet (one's the filthy Carlisle target loco, the other's a brand new Lothian tripper).  A handful of 37s represent the late flowering of the type on the freights, but their big 1Co-Co1 sisters run to 40, with over 20 BR Sulzer sixteen-wheelers and an equivalent number of Brush Type 4s.  A pair each of EE Type 4 and 5 Co-Cos round the diesels out.

Carlisle DMUs are represented by three DLW twins and a 108 twin, Leith's by three Met-Cam triples, a Cravens twin and an in-build Gloucester.

Coaching stock fleet comprises sufficient vehicles to assemble every rake used in the W/T/T as configured in the Scottish formation book for 1968.  This runs to a total of approx 75 coaches including spares and ECML and WCML diversionary rakes, plus roughly 40 NPCCS.

A signature feature of the Waverley was its freight traffic, albeit much reduced by its twilight year.  I thus await Oxford's Carflats with keen interest and trembling wallet.  The Kingmoor - Millerhill Class 4s need a lot of 12T vent vans though.  And I reckon at last count there were 130-plus, with other types in lesser quantities, although a decent block oil train or string of weathered mineral wagons can be mustered.

NB: Less excusable are things that could never cohabit, such as my pair of recently ex-works Class 50s or a rake of Mk2s with my two D49s and B1s or three A3s.

2nd EDIT:

12T vent vans - 110, some long overdue thinning out of unsuitable types has taken place (but add in a few Insulated vans and 15 or so BD container wagons for good measure).  

As for NPCCS, this total is certainly over 50.  

Age-inappropriate Class A tanks with Hazchem panels have been withdrawn too, so that block train is currently suspended.

Just wondering if anyone has more models of a class than there were real locos? For example, there were 22 deltics, so has anyone got 23 deltics?

See post#132 above.

• RMweb Premium

Andi

I used to have quite a good ratio - essentially a train for each loco. I've swayed toward a loco bias now, but not a million miles off! One needs a few spare freight locos kicking about!

I have amassed 10 Hornby/Dapol terriers, though it has been several years since I bought the last one! To be honest I hope to shift a few of them as I'm relatively convinced that a super-detailed version will be announced in the not too distant future. I also used to be obsessed with all things Brighton and they were (aside from the E2), the only LBSCR locos available, though my interests have now moved west.

I have 5 Bulleid light pacifics (4WC/1BOB/3 Rebuilt/2 Original), though one is potentially for sale.

What about DP1 ??

Take you back to my earlier post 132..and one of our members who has 39 Duchesses!..don't know what the duplicate is.

All detailed often repainted and weathered and correctly presented with the odd detail difference some had in relation to others in the class.

As said earlier we are having a whip round to pay for his treatment which the NHS refuse to give.

I bet theres a few out there with more than one Falcon and probably many with the three of them..beautiful models.

Dave.

A late good friend of mine (and of vitalspark), would defend his ever growing stud of locos (latterly amounting to several hundred) saying "you can never have too many locos", an ethos clearly adopted by almost every model railway owner or railway modeller. A model railway layout, whether private or exhibition, always benefits from some duplication of appropriate loco classes. For my own layout, I have available multiples of Black 5s, B1s, Standard 5s, Fairburn tanks, Standard 4 tanks and J36/37/38/39s to create a realistic and nostalgic picture. I also have more than one Brit and more than one Clan - why? - they are just really nice locos! However I do feel totally inadequate in only having one Duchess.

Double headed Black 5s on the Inverness clattering into Perth station from the south were always a wonderful sight.

Take you back to my earlier post 132..and one of our members who has 39 Duchesses!..don't know what the duplicate is.

All detailed often repainted and weathered and correctly presented with the odd detail difference some had in relation to others in the class.

As said earlier we are having a whip round to pay for his treatment which the NHS refuse to give.

I bet theres a few out there with more than one Falcon and probably many with the three of them..beautiful models.

Dave.

True enough, but there were 23 Deltics, if you include DP1, and no duplicates.:-)

Archived