City Goods/Rural Goods plus other Micro layouts in wrapping paper boxes.

• RMweb Gold

What a brilliant layout. What is the overall size of the layout now Paul. I did start to build a layout like City Goods but soon got board just shutting using one point but this layout seems to give some scope for a lot more action.

Cheers and well done

Johna

Thank you Johna, the overall size of the layout is 108cm x 23cm. The extra point on Rural Goods definitely makes it more fun to operate.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Premium

That’s not a bad idea Christian. Although my preference is to build self contained micro layouts. But it would be fun to run the two layouts point to point. More pondering.

Or build three micros, and run trains between them?

One of the best exhibition layouts I have seen has two termini with a fiddle yard between them. The observer sees the fiddle yard as a through line or as an imaginary destination, as needed.

If there were three micros instead of two, with a "Y" between them, this would give a choice of modelled destinations. The fiddle yard might be at the "Y" (perhaps, a cassette), but more likely located along the line leading to the dominant layout of the three.

I am trying develop my own layout this way - multiple micros connected together.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Or build three micros, and run trains between them?

One of the best exhibition layouts I have seen has two termini with a fiddle yard between them. The observer sees the fiddle yard as a through line or as an imaginary destination, as needed.

If there were three micros instead of two, with a "Y" between them, this would give a choice of modelled destinations. The fiddle yard might be at the "Y" (perhaps, a cassette), but more likely located along the line leading to the dominant layout of the three.

I am trying develop my own layout this way - multiple micros connected together.

- Richard.

Thank you Richard, that is a great idea. I am a big fan of your layouts, shelf island and Fairport MK2, I love the way you have connected them. More to ponder.

Regards Paul.

Love the Videos Paul, great little layout you've got there. Not sure if you've mentioned it earlier but what No Kadees have you used on your stock? After watching your videos, I'm really tempted to try them.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Love the Videos Paul, great little layout you've got there. Not sure if you've mentioned it earlier but what No Kadees have you used on your stock? After watching your videos, I'm really tempted to try them.

Steve.

Thank you Steve. I use two different kinds NEM 362 no.19, these plug strait into the NEM pockets. Or if I find the NEM pocket to be at the wrong height I remove it and attach Kadee no. 146 whisker couplers directly to the body. See post 106 on page 5 for photos.

Hope this helps.

Regards Paul.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice pictures Paul, I like the van being shunted around, what type is it?

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The van is a Parkside Dundas kit. GWR 10ton Goods van, product number PC84. Have been experimenting with Smiths 3 link couplings, so I have been making up a few kits to try them on.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

What a pair of stunning layouts. Both incredibly inspirational.

How are you finding the 3-links? I'm experimenting with Kadees at the moment but prefer the realistic look of the 3-links.

Thank you Chris. They are fiddly to fit, but I definitely prefer the realistic look. They also add another level of play to small shunting layouts.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Just got a quick question, what do you use to clean your track to get your pecket run smoothly? Dirty track is the main reason why I don't invest in one because I wouldn't want to have it stuttering around the place.

Hi Luke. I use Deluxe Materials Track magic. I find it’s good for cleaning track, wheels and pickups on locos.

Regards Paul.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Incredibly inspiring as always, i really like those lamps on the brickwork building at the back of the layout.

thank you Luke, the lights where from express models.

Less really IS more. Excellent work.

Operationally, how do you find the ‘fork’ arrangement?

thank you Chris, operationally it is a bit limiting, but I am more of a builder than an operator. I think that's why I love micro layouts. I also love photographing these little scenes.

Regards Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Built these two layouts over the last couple of months and thought I would finally get round to showing them on here. Like City Goods they both fit into really useful wrapping paper boxes. They are both designed to fit together to give greater operational potential. There is also scope to add more in the future.

IMG_1003.jpeg.6d83c3b72b96c0eda2ee2006ea70d226.jpeg

IMG_1023.jpeg.9c954755979a46fdb7894cb3f0ae10ea.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Loads more photos to follow.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 15

Two more excellent models! I like the amount of realistic-looking trackwork you've fitted into them, it looks full but not cramped. I can't wait to see more of your stunning pictures.

You've got quite a series of these box-layouts now; I think my next layout will have to be in one too!