City Goods/Rural Goods plus other Micro layouts in wrapping paper boxes.

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a play adding figures to the layouts. I tend not to stick figures down that way I can pose them in different places and on other layouts.

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

IMG_1061.jpeg.8fea8a5b08138be423340f2a571a8010.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg.143f560e64b54c091b0a45738831ac91.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg.ea97c9d9866ef1e1fec7c3b4a319f4a0.jpeg

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 14

Paul. I have been ploughing through the text & enlarging your track images to establish whether you motorise the points on these layouts or not. You say that the baseboard is on 1" battens, does this provide sufficient depth ? Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a play adding figures to the layouts. I tend not to stick figures down that way I can pose them in different places and on other layouts.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_137f.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1381.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1382.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1385.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1386.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_138c.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

Brilliant as always Paul. I may have said it before but your subtle use of colours really helps set the period. As do the Stadden figures of course.

Isn't it just stressful though when a figure falls over just before you click the camera  :)

• RMweb Gold

Paul your figures a nicely painted. Do you use a magnifying glass when painting figures.

Thank you Clover. I do use a magnifying glass sometimes when painting figures. Everything helps at this scale.

Paul. I have been ploughing through the text & enlarging your track images to establish whether you motorise the points on these layouts or not. You say that the baseboard is on 1" battens, does this provide sufficient depth ? Thanks in advance.

On these two layouts the points are manually controlled.  I wanted to keep the baseboards as shallow as possible because the depth of the boxes they are stored in are not that great. I'm also not very good with electrics so I tend to keep things simple.

Brilliant as always Paul. I may have said it before but your subtle use of colours really helps set the period. As do the Stadden figures of course.

Isn't it just stressful though when a figure falls over just before you click the camera  :)

Thank you Mikkel. Or even worse when you don't notice until you are at your computer looking over the photos you've taken. That happened a lot when I was photographing my cake box entry.

Regards Paul.

• Like 2

Thank you Clover. I do use a magnifying glass sometimes when painting figures. Everything helps at this scale.

On these two layouts the points are manually controlled.  I wanted to keep the baseboards as shallow as possible because the depth of the boxes they are stored in are not that great. I'm also not very good with electrics so I tend to keep things simple.

Thank you Mikkel. Or even worse when you don't notice until you are at your computer looking over the photos you've taken. That happened a lot when I was photographing my cake box entry.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Paul, I do admire your photographs (as well as your modelling!) - can you tell us a bit about how you take them and the lighting you use e.g. maybe outdoors?

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I do admire your photographs (as well as your modelling!) - can you tell us a bit about how you take them and the lighting you use e.g. maybe outdoors?

- Richard.

Thank you Richard. All the photos are taken using an iPhone 8 plus. It does amaze me how good the cameras on these smart phones are. For lighting the layouts I use cheap Ikea LED lighting strips. although I do sometimes take the layouts outside.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Well I use a DSLR with a fairly fancy flash gun and to be honest I think your iPhone 8 is managing a better colour balance and is certainly fitting into some more imaginative viewpoints. I must have a go with my Samsung Galaxy, with some supplementary LED lights.

- Richard.

Great thread Paul with some cracking little layouts, coupled with the other threads on the same theme, I think that wrapping box size joinable bite size projects is the way ahead for me. Thanks for some great inspiration.

• RMweb Gold

I have been doing a bit of work on my original layout City Goods. I decided to lift the track, two reasons having moved away from using Kadee couplings the magnets under the track were no longer needed and they were causing some lighter stock to move towards them while shunting. The second reason was to replace the code 100 track with code 75. Both of my new layouts are code 75 and I do prefer the appearance. it also means at a later date I may join this one together with the others. I originally ballasted the track using Das clay but this time opted for fine ballast. 

IMG_1242.jpeg.c8c508e7b484763387dffef5bf2c0854.jpeg

IMG_1216.jpeg.6ec591cb9a09b84d84b1118ca7bd516d.jpeg

IMG_1217.jpeg.c02b6ac1264ac2454c83833e530b9f80.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg.97932c8e08f60c7bb68d1ab6ca0bd65b.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg.e50b6228d08ecbb07532551d9fa0d319.jpeg

Thanks for looking, Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see City Goods again. I do enjoy all your layouts but think this is my favourite.

Regarding the code 75, is there a difference in gaps between sleepers?

Thank you ModellerChris, City Goods is my favourite to. The sleeper spacing is the same as code 100, but because the rail height is finer it definitely gives the illusion that the sleepers are further apart.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

A wonderful masterpiece. Thanks for these new photos. May I ask you, how did you build the goods platform? Thanks.

attachicon.gifGOODS PLATFORM.JPG

Thank you Vallon. The goods platform is made from Wills wood planking, for the top and Slaters Plastikard for the struts. The hardest part was the steps.

Regards Paul.

• 2 weeks later...