City Goods/Rural Goods plus other Micro layouts in wrapping paper boxes.

• RMweb Gold

Today’s state of play.

Small retaining wall added and Air drying clay used to form the hill. Need to wait for this to dry so will start the goods shed next. Still trying to decide whether or not to enclose the scene with a small back board or leave it open. One of the things I love about photographing City Goods is the fact it’s enclosed. Will ponder this for a few days. Still loads to do in the meantime.

IMG_0305.jpeg.3408dc37241253a0fa680be07e9d5875.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg.c058fa053221c23e55b622c0fa35eed2.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg.253c2e03e2aef85035dade69fef11894.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Built and painted the small goods shed over the weekend. Decided to replace the base on the Wills kit with something more solid. Here are the results.

IMG_0297.jpeg.b084d6ae05bd992b01bc1d1656950fdf.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg.a23e13cbec3f2801b2a05708831b9181.jpeg

IMG_0311.jpeg.3df34497d9e0b2e1ce97538923c66e66.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul.

Forget to ask, what sort of passenger traffic are you going to use?

Thanks.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry.

Thanks for the comments. The passenger traffic will be provided by a Heljan railbus.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

If there is one job I don’t like doing it’s ballasting track. But least on a micro layout there’s not much to do.

IMG_0338.jpeg.cc9786f2ebc4d3897fadfdd37bd6ae7d.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg.5148423a43d6e8b734dc700f38ed4ee1.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg.10f8f663e90fc47259ce9b1b1b2dde9e.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg.fac01e3899621a6ec2d3e0a69f9b4d0a.jpeg

Next up is to add some greenery, I always feel that this is when my layouts come to life.

Thanks for looking

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Loving the layout - you really have an eye for colour and shading on the various surfaces and buildings - top notch.

Speaking as someone who might invest in some peco bullhead track.....I notice from your earlier posts on this latest layout that you don't appear to be feeding power to the point in any way - are you using the unifrog and treating it like an insulfrog point?

If so do your locos run over it ok? I assume they do given the fact you haven't mentioned it, or ripped up the track!

When using code 100 I always found insulfrog points to be fine as long as they were laid nice and flat - and the stock rails were joined/fed - you also have the advantage that you don't need anything to activate them but a piece of wire.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

James

Edited by jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Loving the layout - you really have an eye for colour and shading on the various surfaces and buildings - top notch.

Speaking as someone who might invest in some peco bullhead track.....I notice from your earlier posts on this latest layout that you don't appear to be feeding power to the point in any way - are you using the unifrog and treating it like an insulfrog point?

If so do your locos run over it ok? I assume they do given the fact you haven't mentioned it, or ripped up the track!

When using code 100 I always found insulfrog points to be fine as long as they were laid nice and flat - and the stock rails were joined/fed - you also have the advantage that you don't need anything to activate them but a piece of wire.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

James

Hi James,

Thank you.

Yeah I’m using the points as they come. Did a lot of testing with them before I started this project and all my locos run over them fine, even my modelrail sentinel which is tiny. You are right though in the fact that keeping the track dead flat is the key. I tend to avoid using track pins has in the past this has warped the track if they were tapped in to far. I use double sided tape instead to fix the track, works a treat. The other reason for using them as they come is I may have a good eye for colour but I’m hopeless at electrics so the simpler the better.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback, I want better looking track on my next layout and this is a great option for someone like me who doesn't want to build track or deal with non latching points and expensive electrical switching\point motors. They are not cheap but neither are the other options and the operation is potentially cheaper.

I'm not knocking code 100 or 75 but I'd like to give this a try.

All the best,

James

Edited by jamest

• RMweb Gold

Added some greenery to the scene and finished off making the woodland scenics trees. While I was looking through my modelling bits I came across a gauge master backscene that I have attached to a board this will be placed behind the layout for photographic purposes.

post-25708-0-55718400-1517695451_thumb.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg.fdbae95e8867786771c8f99020661e4a.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg.3ba2363b89f6452b981c797de000cfb1.jpeg

IMG_0345.jpeg.0b93c98787591b0e1fe2999e55c05d25.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg.2731bfbe596445256ebe38b87efac842.jpeg

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

Regards Paul

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Added some greenery to the scene and finished off making the woodland scenics trees. While I was looking through my modelling bits I came across a gauge master backscene that I have attached to a board this will be placed behind the layout for photographic purposes.

Brilliant, Paul.  The depth the backscene adds, particularly image #4, is very impressive!

Edited by jafcreasey

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant, Paul.  The depth the backscene adds, particularly image #4, is very impressive!

Thank you jafcreasey. I did a few experiments with photographing the scene and found the best results were when I placed the back board about 6 inches behind the layout.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is all very lovely. Excellent modelling - and done so quickly too! The backscene does provide wonderful depth.What stock are you going to run on it?

Thank you Chris, it’s taken me about two weeks to get to this stage. The one thing I love about micro layouts is they are quick to build, which stops me getting bored.

In terms of stock. I will be running all sorts. I’ve tried on purpose to keep the scene quite vague. So this way the stock can determine the location and time frame.

Regards Paul.