City Goods/Rural Goods plus other Micro layouts in wrapping paper boxes.

• RMweb Gold

WOW!!! Please share more photos of your fantastic work! Stunning modelling as usual. Can I ask if the top layout in the really useful box was inspired by Chris Nevads brew street?

Thanks Luke. Well spotted, the track plan is the same as Chris Nevada brew street. His layouts are always a great source of inspiration.

Great stuff Paul, I like the idea of a series of layouts to fit the wrapping paper boxes. How deep are they? I'm looking forward to seeing some more photos.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. The depth of the boards I use are 20cm, this gives a little bit of room around them to get them in and out the boxes. The boxes are also ideal for keeping dust of your layouts.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

More stunning pictures. Did you use some das clay on the layout?

Thanks Luke. I did indeed use Das clay. The trick to getting good results with it is to build it up in fin layers. laying it to thick will cause cracking. If you do get cracks slightly wet it again. Once dry I then lightly sand to get a smoother finish.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2018 at 16:05, SeanG said:

Are you able to show any pictures of how you join the boards together please? This is something that I would like to do myself.

Thanks

Photo of boards joined together. I use a small piece of track with terminal blocks that feeds power to both boards. Electrics is not my strong point so I generally keep it simple.

IMG_1036.jpeg.8034f2bbadadc9eeb66b87c2782dec73.jpeg

Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Loving these pictures. Have you got any you could share which show the different construction stages of the layouts?

Hi Luke, no I'm afraid I didn't take any photos of the construction stages, its one of those things I sometimes forget to do.

Regards Paul.

Two cracking little additions, Paul. I very much like the last photo in the above post.

Great thread, particularly enjoy going back over the City Goods pictures even now!

Edited by Chris 66522

• RMweb Gold

Nice video Paul and they are a cracking pair of layouts. One question, what radius points have you used and do you get any buffer locking problems using 3 links? 

Steve.

Thank you Steve, the points are small radius code 75. and small Y points. Buffer locking was one of my concerns when I was thinking of switching to 3 link, but so far so good. It probably helps that the track plan is quite simple and avoids any reverse curves. Also the Sentinel and USA tank both have large buffers. I have also just converted a class 03 and this seems to be ok as well.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

A little bit of information on both layouts. both layout measure 74cm x 20cm, height 13cm. All track is code 75. Layout one users one small radius right hand point and one small Y point. The two buildings at the rear of the layout are Bachmann ready to plant. The small boiler house is a ratio kit. the coal bunker is made from coffee stirrers as are the two buffers to the left. the water tower at the entrance to the fiddle yard is scratch built. The gate at the back is from Langley Models.

IMG_1023.jpeg.48a42e0f3dc7780ae4e973135ddd981f.jpeg

Layout two uses two small radius right hand points and one small Y point. All the buildings on this one are scratch built. The hard standing area in front of the loading dock users slaters sets built up to rail height with card. the two buffers are modified Hornby ones. The crossing and area in front of the small warehouse is made using Das air drying clay.

IMG_1003.jpeg.d0bc0b73a58d4b8f6ba8fdae2c5760cc.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A huge thanks to everyone who drops by here to look at my micro layouts. I hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year.

Regards Paul.

IMG_1074.jpeg.2f026bb9d36e3fdef6c9aa5675ace539.jpeg

Edited by Howl03
  • Like 7