Excellent stuff.

Do you do your own resprays?

Thank you!

I don't TBH - I keep meaning to get into it, but I have enough weathering and stuff to keep me busy for years!

Trev :)

I'm liking the wagon repair shop the weathering on it just spot on and the transition between the hard standing and the ballast is brilliant.

Cheers

Col

Cheers mate, very much appreciated :)

Love the new arrival Trev. So 24 now then mate. Still plenty of room for a few more yet. :D

Have to echo the other comments, the shed does look superb.

Top work mate.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi matey

I do too! well worth the coin invested.

Hopefully numbers 25 and 26 will be here tomorrow ( 1 x metals, 1 x Petroleum) 37/7's.  :yahoo:

Just had a text of SWMBO confirming touchdown of my new chemical tanks!  :yahoo:

Thanks again chief. 

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

More top modelling I see Trev :paint:  :senile:

thanks neil.

Morning Neil,

Nothing special mate compared to others on here, but thank you! It always humbles me that people like what I do, despite the fact I'm not happy with 99% of the stuff I do..... are we all too overly critical of our own work?

I certainly am haha!

Cheers

There's nothing like more than a positive modelling session to give your mojo a boost! My mate Miles popped over from Warwick and we had a productive day, putting the world to rights as we went along!

I was determined to finish my area of hardstanding, and my previous attempt had a few flaws, with the main problem being that the strips of plasticard that I had cut and glued in place in the four foot were too wide for loco wheels and caused the wheelsets to be lifted from the rail, and of course the loco would stop. I was using a wagon and a coach to test clearances, mainly as I didn't want to make a mess of a loco's wheels which would lead to poor running and headaches!

Anyhoo, I re-measured, re-cut, re- primed, and re-installed the four foot sections into the errant track, and touch wood everything seems to work O.K. phew.

The weather was pretty good, so I even managed to get the garage door open, and what a difference it makes having the sun on your back when you work. (Having had the door shut for the last six months is a tad oppressive, but you kind of get used to it. (I did notice that the sun slightly warped the plywood backscene end piece. So I removed that and put in the shade. Hopefully no harm done and I can re-fix it tonight)

So once the hardstanding was complete I gave each of the lengths a light sanding and tidied up any wonky bits or shavings and gave it a good hoover before applying 2 coats of primer, masking off the contacts and blades of the 3-way turnout first.

Now Ive got to think ahead to designing and constructing my shed building. I don't want to do anything too complex, probably along the lines of a traditional "crinkly tin" construction, with a flat roof, maybe with a brick base up to a scale height of around 6', with roller shutter doors, roof lights, fans, glazing, etc.

Anyhoo, enough waffle - here's a few shots from yesterdays running session after I had finished working - I have a new set of Methanol tanks which are superb. - I just need to find suitable traction for the train as there's not much on Flickr.

I also got out my Reggie Rail Ped (31410 Granada Telethon) that I had converted months ago from 31439 and had forgotten about. (Its ex works, so looks a bit odd on a rake of filthy Reggie Rail Mk1's- weathering to follow plus sound, but for now just a simple 8 pin decoder :))

Hardstanding:

post-7156-0-05260500-1491808055_thumb.jpg

Methanol Tanks:

post-7156-0-70125100-1491808080_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-81275000-1491808098_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-11332100-1491808146_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-90394000-1491808184_thumb.jpg

Reggie Rail:

post-7156-0-82902000-1491808207_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-58902400-1491808225_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-16599300-1491808240_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-77858400-1491808251_thumb.jpg

Two Mainline 37's in multi, light engine:

post-7156-0-96619800-1491808302_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 9

More superb photos mate. Nice job on the hard standing.

Always liked the Regional Railways livery and always thought it suited the 31's quite well. 31421 Wigan Pier was always my favourite.

Had it on the coast a few times. It was never quite as bad being bowled out by a ped. At least it was still a 12 cylinder EE.

37116 looks very much at home on the chemical tanks.

Top work as usual mate.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

More superb photos mate. Nice job on the hard standing.

Always liked the Regional Railways livery and always thought it suited the 31's quite well. 31421 Wigan Pier was always my favourite.

Had it on the coast a few times. It was never quite as bad being bowled out by a ped. At least it was still a 12 cylinder EE.

37116 looks very much at home on the chemical tanks.

Top work as usual mate.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi matey

Thank you very much :)

TBH I'd forgotten I'd done work on the Reggie ped, and all it needed was the decoder! Im going to weather it I think (I was debating whether to make it dirty or not)

I never had it for haulage, but it was a regular on infrastructure workings round here (mostly at Rugby where I skulked around video camera in hand!) At times, I remember rakes of Tope, Mermaids, and Grampus, double head, top n tail.

Bang road, up down, every way! We used to sit in the car park of Myson House watching the constant shunt moves, drawbacks, etc. Reggie Rail, banger blue and Dutch locos a plenty. (Mostly Bescot heaps held together with duct tape) now and again we would get some Crewe allox ones for variety. 

Thats when we had it good with proper traction (Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhh!)

No seriously it was excellent. If I could get a time machine, Id avoid the ex wife, and go out more with my camera!

Yea 116 looks ok!! My mate loved the model. cracking thrash it gives too. Very controllable, unlike my sound fitted 56 which I think has an issue with speed steps as it goes 0-60 in record time from the off!! Note to self: must get sorted.

Cheers for poppin by!

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

Great stuff as always. Just had a good read up.

I like the mainline 37 - I remember scouring the pages of " Rail " in the late 90s looking for interesting movements especially with the dwindling 37 fleet.

I do like 31s - used to see a few banger blue ones when I was younger on the parcels from Paddington as well as the odd chinnor coal train. Didn't see many in the up to date period - I saw two on the binliner once through PRis, and I saw one on an inspection saloon at denham.

I'm not doing much at present although the bodyshell of 37516 is now smooth enough where I took the roof vents off - that took ages ! Now need to make some new ones and replace them further forward.

Then I'll have to contemplate spraying it........my first airbrush respray.

I only saw 516 once and that was from the air.....we had a race.....I won...

• Like 1

Great stuff as always. Just had a good read up.

I like the mainline 37 - I remember scouring the pages of " Rail " in the late 90s looking for interesting movements especially with the dwindling 37 fleet.

I do like 31s - used to see a few banger blue ones when I was younger on the parcels from Paddington as well as the odd chinnor coal train. Didn't see many in the up to date period - I saw two on the binliner once through PRis, and I saw one on an inspection saloon at denham.

I'm not doing much at present although the bodyshell of 37516 is now smooth enough where I took the roof vents off - that took ages ! Now need to make some new ones and replace them further forward.

Then I'll have to contemplate spraying it........my first airbrush respray.

I only saw 516 once and that was from the air.....we had a race.....I won...

Hi Rob

Thank you for your kind comments - always welcome feedback!

Ive got a few MLB 37's now. I really want a model 047 with its odd marker lights, 065 with its odd front ends and 077 as it was a proper truncheon.

31's were my first love. I then found fast food, slow women, beer and drum n bass.. (not all in that order I may add). Being from Cov, BS and SY were only up the road for us.

Luckily my 116 had already been messed around with when I had it., I merely "refined" it.

Go for it! I can't be done with the faff, plus as Ive said on here before there are people doing resprays better than I could!

Haha fair play!

Cheers

Hi Rob

Thank you for your kind comments - always welcome feedback!

Ive got a few MLB 37's now. I really want a model 047 with its odd marker lights, 065 with its odd front ends and 077 as it was a proper truncheon.

31's were my first love. I then found fast food, slow women, beer and drum n bass.. (not all in that order I may add). Being from Cov, BS and SY were only up the road for us.

Luckily my 116 had already been messed around with when I had it., I merely "refined" it.

Go for it! I can't be done with the faff, plus as Ive said on here before there are people doing resprays better than I could!

Haha fair play!

Cheers

Ha ha, you traded slow locos for slow women......:)

Yeah, I'd like to do 37055 and 065 - o65 would need a headcode end and those are hard to find I guess or respray a headcode job and swap one end to flush.....

I think 516 is the best place to start as it's just two colours - what can go wrong ?

Strangely I'm happier at the thought of repsraying a loco than weathering with the airbrush. I may have to try a Commercial weathering service as the pristine nature of my stuff is spoiling any realism.

Proper truncheon ! Doesn't sound like a term of admiration.....I work with some people who are proper truncheons ....:)

• Like 1

Not much has happened over the last couple of days due to work.

I did however receive a nice Roco single Cargowaggon from Germany, and it would have been rude not to have a running session with it last night. Also featuring was my Dutch 31468 on the Reggie stock.

I've also put my new Hornby Reggie Ped on the rollers to loosen it up a bit.

post-7156-0-07494500-1492066060_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-33260400-1492066072_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-58153700-1492066087_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-36043800-1492066104_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I can get the latest bit of hardstanding finished over the weekend. I know I will be painting and wallpapering the living room so it will be inbetween this! Yay.

Cheers

Trev

• Like 7

Some good stuff going on.

Just came across this and its going to be a long read.

I like the Cargowaggon and 08 bridge shot with depth and empty uncluttered space - good ballast texture and shades.

Garage based always interesting if uninsulated ours was sublect to minus -8 in Winter 2010 to plus +30 most Summers (no danger at present as its in bits)

Regional Peds and filth - even the Mk Ones were filthy back then :D

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Hi matey

Thank you very much :)

TBH I'd forgotten I'd done work on the Reggie ped, and all it needed was the decoder! Im going to weather it I think (I was debating whether to make it dirty or not)

I never had it for haulage, but it was a regular on infrastructure workings round here (mostly at Rugby where I skulked around video camera in hand!) At times, I remember rakes of Tope, Mermaids, and Grampus, double head, top n tail.

Bang road, up down, every way! We used to sit in the car park of Myson House watching the constant shunt moves, drawbacks, etc. Reggie Rail, banger blue and Dutch locos a plenty. (Mostly Bescot heaps held together with duct tape) now and again we would get some Crewe allox ones for variety. 

Thats when we had it good with proper traction (Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhh!)

No seriously it was excellent. If I could get a time machine, Id avoid the ex wife, and go out more with my camera!

Yea 116 looks ok!! My mate loved the model. cracking thrash it gives too. Very controllable, unlike my sound fitted 56 which I think has an issue with speed steps as it goes 0-60 in record time from the off!! Note to self: must get sorted.

Cheers for poppin by!

No brainer - filth all the way.

You know it make s sense.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up with the latest on your thread Trev, great stuff and loving your MGR hoppers too! :)

If you've got a hopper that's got a really filthy body, you can try a layer of Matt varnish over the silver hopper body, this will leave a great 'key' for your layer of paint-on/wipe-off dirt to really cling to the body and stain it like a really unloved hopper!

Keep up the great work and some superb 90s loco choices there!!

James

• Like 1