I have to try and add some detail to the permanent way/ S & T yard - does anyone have any ideas of what you would find in such a place as regards clutter?

I have some cable drums, propane bottles, boxes, crates, pallets etc, but it still looks a bit bare!

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!!

Trev :)

I'd guess redundant signal heads, dead point machines, posts, ladders etc

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

I have several ratio kits still in boxes,so these will be bought out of storage!

Thanks

Edited by big T

• RMweb Gold

You could knock up some level crossing barriers as I noticed at the side of platform 5 at Birmingham International this morning there are some redundant level crossing barriers and motor housings they must have been there for years as it's been a few years since the crossings at Canley,Tile Hill and Berkswell have gone.

And you could always have a small section of track with various track circuiting items attached for training and testing purposes there is a good example of this next to the old Coventry PSB I'll try and get a photo for you if it's possible.

Cheers

Colin

Some really nice modelling Trev, enjoying the updates, particularly the BDA. Loadhaul always looks good!

Westbury S&T has a multi aspect colour light signal erected in their compound, presumably as a training tool. It's a compound adjacent to the Panel Box.

Jo

You could knock up some level crossing barriers as I noticed at the side of platform 5 at Birmingham International this morning there are some redundant level crossing barriers and motor housings they must have been there for years as it's been a few years since the crossings at Canley,Tile Hill and Berkswell have gone.

And you could always have a small section of track with various track circuiting items attached for training and testing purposes there is a good example of this next to the old Coventry PSB I'll try and get a photo for you if it's possible.

Cheers

Colin

Hey Col! superb ideas, much appreciated :)

Some really nice modelling Trev, enjoying the updates, particularly the BDA. Loadhaul always looks good!

Westbury S&T has a multi aspect colour light signal erected in their compound, presumably as a training tool. It's a compound adjacent to the Panel Box.

Jo

Hi Jo hows you?!

Thanks for the suggestion -  I think Ill try this too! (watch this space haha!!)

Cheers

Good thanks Trev, though playing with the full size train set and house hunting have got in the way of modelling time a bit. Good to see your modelling flowing well, hope things are well with you.

Plenty of ideas on here for me to steal when the layout has its pre January show tart up! Just need to get moved in and the hobby room decorated :-D

Jo

Good thanks Trev, though playing with the full size train set and house hunting have got in the way of modelling time a bit. Good to see your modelling flowing well, hope things are well with you.

Plenty of ideas on here for me to steal when the layout has its pre January show tart up! Just need to get moved in and the hobby room decorated :-D

Jo

Good stuff!

Life does have a tendency to get in the way doesn't it!

Yes thanks - back in the flow now after a couple of months not really bothering. - a bit daft when you think I've got to be ready for the Cradley Heath show in October! eek!

I'm flattered that there's some inspiration for others in the stuff I do - never really considered that before!

Good luck with the decorating!

Cheers

I had a few goodies turn up yesterday from Hattons - (In a huge box again with massive bubble wrap and a flippin catalogue despite me asking in capitals for my parcel to be in a jiffy bag with no catalogue. The wastage is ridiculous!) Seriously Hattons sort yourselves out - this is the second time!

Cable drums, gas cylinders, oil barrels etc etc.

So I primed painted and weathered the cylinders and popped them on a plasticard base (I had previously primed and painted with concrete colour and weathered)

post-7156-0-68076800-1530619326_thumb.jpg

Oil drums will recieve an additional coat of paint tonight and a dab of weathering powders where appropriate.

Cheers

• Like 5

Its been as hot as Hades in the old garage recently, but Ive soldiered on regardless!

Ive been putting my energy into a few mini-projects mostly adding desperately needed detail.

Ive added several little items to the P-way yard such as:

• Oil barrels
  • Gas bottles (Ive constructed a bespoke fenced enclosure for them in compliance with HSE guidelines!)
  • Weathered point motors
  • Cable drums (emty and full)
  • pushbike (painted). that was fun.
  • pallets
  • signal posts
  • ladders

Ive also primed and painted a Ro-Ro skip but its a bit big when placed in the yard and Im not sure if it goes?! This needs weathering.

Im trying to add clutter and general items to the area as I go along. 

Ive also purchased a Wills crossing set and from that Im using a pair of crossing gates (to represent damaged items) and the warning sign with its wig-wag flashing lights.

Ive also knocked up and painted the relay room which will be installed by the signal box - I need something to break up the large area with ballast between the main line and the branch.

I know it means digging out the ballast and refilling/painting etc again, but I think it will be worth it.

Ill dig out the trusty Grassmaster too and add some greenery. 

I also think Ill add a security fence around the room and maybe a bit of graffiti.

I also took delivery of an EWS inspection saloon, and a couple of Notwork Fail road vehicles - a landy and hicube tranny.

Busy times! 

post-7156-0-32088800-1531226160_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-78864900-1531226171_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-26913000-1531226179_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-26527300-1531226187_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-33077100-1531226195_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now

p.s. please excuse the x-ing barrier on top of the signalbox. Space is at a premium!

Edited by big T
  • Like 7

I've generally been adding detail to the layout over the last week or so, concentrating on the P-Way yard and the station area.

I have constructed a few bits and bobs from Wills kits and plastic stuff I have lying around.

Ive used the relay room, which I assembled, painted and stuck to a concrete coloured piece of plasticard to resemble a base.

I have also weathered it and added flock and grass/bushes etc, finishing it off with a palisade fence and gate both of which had a coat of sliver.

Once all dry and ready to go, I chanelled out ballast from its intended position and hot glued it to the baseboard. I also dug out a route for a path, onto which I added Metcalfe paving slabs.

Once done, I re-ballasted to hide and joins, PVA'd it down, and weathered it once dry.

Ive added bus shelter type waiting rooms to the platforms and have added random bits of flock to represent weeds in cracks in the tarmac.

The adjacent trackwork was also treated to more coats of grime, matt blacks, greys and browns blended in a fairly wet mix to enable decent coverage over ballast.

Ive had an advertising board in my bits and bobs for ages. My daughter who is having a tough time at the moment helped me in the garage and did a bit of painting. It seemed to take her mind of things and she did a great job! I think I will be asking her to paint a few more things for me.

Anyhoo this was painted and the advert was fitted. (no political messages are being made here so no soapboxes please! it was what came with the kit!!)  :nono:  :laugh:

Sorry for the rubbish pictures!

General stuff:

post-7156-0-94617100-1531916185_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-99662300-1531916201_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-91669500-1531916212_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-90963100-1531916239_thumb.jpg

Relay Room:

post-7156-0-67975300-1531916310_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-85990300-1531916332_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-04442400-1531916438_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-01072700-1531916449_thumb.jpg

Platform mods:

post-7156-0-87966600-1531916477_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-85102600-1531916490_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-59864500-1531916502_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-46789400-1531916513_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-58405800-1531916815_thumb.jpg

With the light off!

post-7156-0-30127800-1531916547_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-06222100-1531916559_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-55155700-1531916610_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-24099300-1531916656_thumb.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Edited by big T
  • Like 6

superb work on the detailing trev i like the relay room you have created looks very real and the waiting shelter reminds me of stations in the 1990s when the railway decided it didnt want proper brick or stone buildings on its stations and these were a cheap solution. The seats look good too i have been trying to find good realistic station seat for ages that dont cost more than a wagon !!! and the photos look good with the light off mate good work all round .

superb work on the detailing trev i like the relay room you have created looks very real and the waiting shelter reminds me of stations in the 1990s when the railway decided it didnt want proper brick or stone buildings on its stations and these were a cheap solution. The seats look good too i have been trying to find good realistic station seat for ages that dont cost more than a wagon !!! and the photos look good with the light off mate good work all round .

Thanks chief, I really appreciate your kind words!

The benches were from a a place I can never remember the name of, but the finish was knobbly and odd. 

I have the details of a guy that I have used for various 3D printed stuff at good prices and 1st class delivery if you need me to post it up?

Cheers

As I expect with most of us, its been too hot to do any modelling of late, and I havent really done much in all honesty. 

The postman dropped a couple of parcels in Saturday, so I managed to get in the garage after a torrential rainstorm which helped temperature wise.

New arrival:

post-7156-0-78814500-1533040975_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-53100400-1533040986_thumb.jpg

The plan is to fit sound to this beast - does anyone have any recommendations for a sound decoder and speaker other than LMB? I hear Jamie Goodmans name mentioned a lot 

I have an RFD liveried Heljan spoon to that will need a sound decoder fitting too, photos to follow.

Cheers

• Like 5

As I expect with most of us, its been too hot to do any modelling of late, and I havent really done much in all honesty. 

The postman dropped a couple of parcels in Saturday, so I managed to get in the garage after a torrential rainstorm which helped temperature wise.

New arrival:

attachicon.gif01 47614.jpg

attachicon.gif02 47614.jpg

The plan is to fit sound to this beast - does anyone have any recommendations for a sound decoder and speaker other than LMB? I hear Jamie Goodmans name mentioned a lot 

I have an RFD liveried Heljan spoon to that will need a sound decoder fitting too, photos to follow.

Cheers

Hi trev the large logo 47 looks the bees knees great weathering job on it i dont have jamies 47 sounds  but i do have his 50 sounds and they are very good i would recommend his sounds projects ,Simon at Pendeford sidings  use his sounds in lots of different locos  . 

• Like 1

Hi trev the large logo 47 looks the bees knees great weathering job on it i dont have jamies 47 sounds  but i do have his 50 sounds and they are very good i would recommend his sounds projects ,Simon at Pendeford sidings  use his sounds in lots of different locos  . 

Hi mate thank you - its not one of mine, I bought it last week from a chap who is going into O gauge. lovely looking models they are too :)

Im sure Simon sent me Jamies' details - I will have to speak to him again. Ive heard his 20 sounds and they are really really good.

Thanks for looking pal

• Like 1