30 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

Nice to see you back Trev, although tough news on the work front........know how you feel :rolleyes:

Good job my layout is west country based........those PGA's look stunning :sungum:

Hi Adrian,

Yes mate things are very tough at the moment... :o

They are stunning models - can't wait for the TEA with the Schleiren bogies! drool

Trev :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vulcan product fan said:

smart pics mate like the cavalex models stone wagons very cool .

good luck with your dads stuff mate .

Thank you pal, much appreciated :)

• Like 1

It still a bit parky outside so the heaters were on for a good few hours prior to going in the garage yesterday.

Yesterdays objective was twofold: 

• Vacuum the layout, and to clean the rails
  • Weather a Lowmac and to add vac bags.

So carefully, (avoiding the ground signals), I vacuumed the layout in its entirety, went over each section with a track rubber, then went round afterwards with a non fibre-shedding cloth soaked in Isopropyl alcohol. That was fun. I must invest in one of those CMX tank wagons with the cloth pad........

So onto the Lowmac - it was one that came from my sons first train set I bought him when he was about five. H played with it and ultimately it lost a buffer and was consigned to one of my stock drawers.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I could try and rescue it. I wasn't too fussed about having it in the correct livery or renumbering it into a departmental number sequence, I thought I'd have it as an internal user. (Inspiration was taken from the GWR variant at Tyseley which is still in daily use).

I added extra weight, painted it, added weathering powders, hairpray, chalks and more paint. I also added and extra weight which made for much better running.

I had originally intended to add maybe an item of plant such as a bulldozer or JCB type thing, but found an old bogie from a Lima TEA. I decided that it would make a  decent load for the Lowmac, and cut off the crude coupling, filing down the edge where it used to be, making the front now nice and flush. I also snipped off the retaining nibs that secured the bogie to the old TEA body, filing them flat too. I then mixed up and filthy matt black/trackdirt/general yuk mix and painted wheelsets and bogie.

After this had dried, I ground down the tops of the wheelsets, making a level section so the bogie would sit better on the Lowmac deck, and this would also give me somewhere to add glue.

A good productive day. Now I need to think about the extension board that is looking at me every time I go in there and also enhancing the backscene somehow......

I also opened some of the Hornby steam locos I bought before Christmas. More to follow on these soon........

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Edited by big T
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have a few Loadhaul and RF Bachmann BDA's that Im adding dirt to.

A few weeks back I added stanchions from **** gauge wire, superglued into place and painted a nice rusty shade of red.

I can't be bothered with renumbering  each wagon to provide sequential numbering as life is too short and the weathering will probably obscure some detail, so Im plumping for making dirty only.

I did at least four different deck washes and removals in different amounts and also used the weathering powders and hairspray. 

I still have air pipes to fit, do the buffer shanks and to airbrush the wheels, frame and detail.

Cheers

Trev

bda 1.jpg

• Like 4

On 21/03/2019 at 17:23, Iron Horse said:

Liking the deck on that and thanks you've given me some ideas for some decks I need to do :sungum:

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated.

I was after a bleached look, not sure if I achieved that!!

Cheers

On 23/03/2019 at 20:58, Departmental203 said:

Excellent work Trev, like how you have resurrected a Lomac and the BDA looks super!

Wish you good luck on the layout

(I do wonder why stantions on steel wagons are so flimsy in real life:dontknow:)

Jules

Hi Jules,

Thanks I wasnt sure how the Lowmac would turn out but I think its fair.

The BDA went a bit better!

Thank you I need it!!  :lol::lol::lol:

On 23/03/2019 at 21:00, Departmental203 said:

Sorry, my computer managed to post the same post twice!:pardon: Had to erase this one

haha! no problem!! 

Thanks for dropping by! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks!!!!

I have decided to sell Long Lane WRD as I feel the need for a new challenge.

So here we go:

For sale:

1 x exhibition layout.

Dimensions: 16 feet long x 2 feet wide.

3 x scenic boards with 1 x Fiddle Yard.

All Peco code 100 track

Fully operational, complete with yard lights, signalbox with internal lighting, station lighting and buffer stop lighting.

Eckon Berko signalling installed, not yet wired.

Fully lit and detailed portacabins.

Internally lit shed

trees, static grass etc

Signals and ground signals designed to modern prototypes

Built over two years with extremely solid custom built heavy grade high spec timber and baseboards with hinged legs, no expense has been spared in the construction of the layout.

The front of the layout includes 200mm high high grade perspex (anti touch screen)

Includes full length full height curtain.

Power supply, transformer and power lead included

All pointwork is manually operated via pushrods.

Its kept sheeted over and has only ventured out of the house to an exhibition once.

Does NOT include:

large shed building

Road bridge

DCC controllers

rolling stock

road vehicles.

No stupid offers please,

Please contact me for costs

Any questions please ask.

Collection only from B77.

Thank you