triang em2

I'm aware of those, most likely use them on the EM2 but would like an original for the steeplecab. Thinking about it I have another EM2 still waiting for repainting and detailing, that's got two good pans on, so one for the steeplecab and a spare :senile:

A little pricey but here you go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-EM2-ELECTRIC-LOCO-PANTOGRAPH-VGC-R351-electra-pandora-aurora-27000-/371017668424

I too am building a super-detailed EM2. I want to convert to 10 wheel pick up, but I can't get the plastic wheels out of the non-powered bogie for fear of breaking it. Has anyone got any tips?

Either carefully prise them out with a screwdriver or saw through the axles. (The axle pushes out of the earlier open axleboxes, but I think these predate the EM2.)                          

Edited by Il Grifone

Might I suggest you consider Marklin Catalogue number 7218? Unless you're a stickler for originality, it makes a reasonable replacement for the EM2. It is available from a number of sources, for example Peters Spares in Middlesbrough are advertising them at £11.13.

Might I suggest you consider Marklin Catalogue number 7218? Unless you're a stickler for originality, it makes a reasonable replacement for the EM2. It is available from a number of sources, for example Peters Spares in Middlesbrough are advertising them at £11.13.

Just checked Peters Spares website, that item is currently out of stock.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone measur4ed up the Bachmann LMS 10000 bogies and chassis for the potentiial to power the Triang EM2 bodyshell?

The Bachmann 37 chassis in the conversions, how much work is required, and can the LMS 10000 bogies fit onto the 37 chassis?

• 4 months later...

Has anyone measur4ed up the Bachmann LMS 10000 bogies and chassis for the potentiial to power the Triang EM2 bodyshell?

The Bachmann 37 chassis in the conversions, how much work is required, and can the LMS 10000 bogies fit onto the 37 chassis?

I did this about a week ago

the chassis has to be shortened by about 15mm

a lot of plastic has to be removed from inside the body

post-28417-0-83565800-1458555049_thumb.jpg

first I milled a flat surface about 6mm wide down both sides on the top of the chassis. This was done to ensure a straight flat surface so that all 3 parts of the chassis would line up 

I then cut the chassis between the motor and the bogie at both ends

milled the cut ends to reduce the chassis length by about 15 mm

joined all 3 chassis parts together with 2 pieces of 3/16 sq. brass bar along the flat surfaces that were first milled along the top of the chassis

This image also shows one of the joins

post-28417-0-22089400-1458556830_thumb.jpg

The almost complete model

the plastic sub chassis was screwed to the Bachmann Chassis

The body now clips over the Bachmann chassis an is held in place with the buffers & the foof clips onto the body

post-28417-0-47966300-1458555030_thumb.jpg

the finished model looks almost like a standard EM2

& it runs like a Bachmann LMS 10000

The decoder is a NCE DA-SR

post-28417-0-42510800-1458554982_thumb.jpg

It was very time consuming ,Requires a milling machine, drilling & tapping lots of screw holes

the first try at assembling the chassis was too long, Second try I think I got it about right

The drive shafts had to be shortened and re-joined by pushing the shortened shafts into brass tube

I don't know if a class 47 chassis would work​ as I have never seen one but if the 47 chassis has the correct bogie spacing an the bogie mounting is the same I expect that would be easier path

John 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 years later...

The prices of the Triang ones seem to have come down a lot since the Heljan/ Olivia's version appeared.

I seem to remember that many folk felt the Triang body to be a better representation of the original, at the time the HJ one came out. It is possible with care to remove the annoying mouldings on the Triang one that were used as a guide for lining. The appearance is much improved as a result.

John.

I realise that page 1 of this thread has some excellent pics of models that have had the moulding removed and a repaint.

Edited by John Tomlinson
Clarification

36 minutes ago, Graham1960 said:

Having just opened it up and remover the motor. That has revealed that the entire drive mechanism has been removed, with nothing to turn the wheel cogs! There's no brushes either. 

The good news is that the body and all transfers are in a good state, it's a green Electra like the one above.

More good news is that the missing innards of the motor bogie are common to the Brush Type 2 bogie, used under that plus the EE Type 3. Those are so plentiful that getting hold of those bits won't be too expensive.

The Nim.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Nimbus said:

More good news is that the missing innards of the motor bogie are common to the Brush Type 2 bogie, used under that plus the EE Type 3. Those are so plentiful that getting hold of those bits won't be too expensive.

The Nim.

Yep, if you've got a decent body complete with both bogie frames still a good buy at £40. As mentioned above Brush type 2s can be had for as little as a tenner at swapmeets or shows if you're anywhere near one.

Pantographs not so cheap or easy to find but you could fit Judith Edge etched ones or possibly utilise some continental ones. Marklin. I think, do one which will fit the bill with little alteration, similar to the erstwhlie Lima one fitted incorrectly to their class 87s.

Might be worth asking Olivia's trains if they have the bogie sprue moldings as spares? They use the standard Heljan system in their EM2 models, so if you can get the correct sizes gears/work it would be easy to put a proper drive under the old body

Having opened it up, it's quite straightforward to separate the pantograph from the body, just gently bend up the tails that go inside and slide out.

This will enable you to do any cleaning, soldering, respray without damaging the roof. It is possible with care to remove the extra diagonal brace in the Triang pantograph, look at a phot of the real thing to see which it is.

John.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

I have ordered some 1:87 pantographs from Ebay, the price is a bargain £12.99  for two,post-free from China,  has anyone else tried these parts on a TriAng EM2?

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 15-30-16 2pcs Model Train HO Scale 1 87 Electric Traction Locomotive Pantographs Arm Bow eBay.png

No, but I have seen these on ebay and pondered. I'd be interested to know your opinion when they arrive.

John.

• Agree 1