Blue 4 CEP units

leopardml2341

Morning All,

Does anyone know which 4 CEP units were painted all over blue?

I'm aware of unit 7119, the one depicted by Modelzone for their LE product sometime ago, and I think I've seen a pic of 7106 on t'interweb - but of course I cant find it now.

A search of RMWeb and Google etc using variations of 'Blue 4CEP' turns up no more than I've posted above - anyone know of other info sources?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edit:

Found 7109 and 7132 on Robert CWP's Flickr site

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

They looked very dreary in all-over blue, which tended to look matt after a short time. Oddly, the feature which distinguished the prototypes in green - painted window frames - looked really poor in blue. It was a great day when blue and grey got the nod for repaints.

• Like 1

They looked very dreary in all-over blue, which tended to look matt after a short time. Oddly, the feature which distinguished the prototypes in green - painted window frames - looked really poor in blue. It was a great day when blue and grey got the nod for repaints.

Ian, do you remember what colour the frames were when units were blue?

The only pics I can find are not clear enough to tell whether they were painted or not.

Hi as far as I can remember the window frames were painted blue. They were used on the Portsmouth services via my local station Sutton and as a young boy I was most dismayed to see how drab they looked!

Hi as far as I can remember the window frames were painted blue. They were used on the Portsmouth services via my local station Sutton and as a young boy I was most dismayed to see how drab they looked!

That's gonna make my proposed Bachmann repaint a whole lot more difficult :(

If it's any help, the Modelzone one has silver frames like the green ones (whether or not that is accurate, I don't know!).

That was my reason for seeking clarification, as from Bachmann's POV it would be just as easy to 'use what you have', rather than be 100% accurate, when a small run of items is commissioned by e.g. Modelzone, as in this case.

Thanks Robert, had remarked on these in my OP, but didn't want to offend by posting your pics without permission.

From the originals, can you see if (window) frames are blue?

In the first pic they appear to be unpainted, yet not in the second, maybe it's the oblique angle?

Edited by leopardml2341

I would agree with you, Andy. The first one (7109) appears to have the unpainted surrounds a la the Bachmann/Modelzone model, while 7132 appears to have only the sliding vents unpainted.

Thanks for posting those pics, Robert.

• RMweb Premium

My recollection is that of the blue Ceps those which wore the early syp version had painted window frames but those which wore fye had unpainted frames.  7211 was among the latter IIRC and I don't remember ever having a record of whether all were blue let alone which version nor indeed whether the window frames were painted or not.

What I do recall, and something which was common to all Cep and Bep units in all liveries, was the rust streaks down from the window frames which were probably worse on the unpainted ones.  As the frames were aluminium I suspect the rust arose from steel screws used to secure the frames in position.  It was very marked on some green and plain blue units.

• Like 2

Thanks Robert, had remarked on these in my OP, but didn't want to offend by posting your pics without permission.

From the originals, can you see if (window) frames are blue?

In the first pic they appear to be unpainted, yet not in the second, maybe it's the oblique angle?

The BB code is available for my images and you can post by posting that code.

Pretty sure the window frames are blue on the BSYP one and unpainted on the BFYE one.

There is a blue BEP in the middle of this one, followed by a BFYE CEP:

5394075620_0ae6bbc525_z.jpg4-CEP_7201_PettsWd_26-8-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Robert's pic of the boat train on the Down Tonbridge Loop just shows the variations in formation of the era. The leading CEP in green, as I think is the MLV, with both BEP and trailing CEP in blue. Great pic for those with the space to model long trains. 

I agree that MLV looks to be in green: I think I can see a BR coach stock crest in the middle of the lower side. It's a little difficult to make out the colours of the window frames at that angle and distance, unfortunately. Just have a look at the very clean roofs on the middle unit.

Still a great shot, though.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Robert's pic of the boat train on the Down Tonbridge Loop just shows the variations in formation of the era. The leading CEP in green, as I think is the MLV, with both BEP and trailing CEP in blue. Great pic for those with the space to model long trains. 

A very good green - blue transition era capture.  I agree with both that the MLV is green.  The middle unit also proves that it isn't always necessary to weather Bachmann roof panels ;)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...