Shell Island

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I rather like your take on Shell Island Kevo, particularly the Irish setting (Craggy Island?).

Here are a few more snaps of Shell Island that I took when it was last exhumed from the chipboard coffin.

post-6793-0-85140000-1500025774_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-46161400-1500025793_thumb.jpg

post-6793-0-50661000-1500025814_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I rather like your take on Shell Island Kevo, particularly the Irish setting (Craggy Island?).

Here are a few more snaps of Shell Island that I took when it was last exhumed from the chipboard coffin.

attachicon.gifsi001.jpg

attachicon.gifsi008.jpg

attachicon.gifsi011.jpg

Sublime artistry!

Lovely to see some photos of this again.

Thanks neil glad you approve , yes craggy Island would not be a bad name if i do a MK2 version especialy if i stick to irish stock again .  love the other pictures you putt on you can almost  here that class 24 ticking over . mixed in with the lapping of the water on the slip way and the sea gulls of course in the back ground . shell ilsland  ouzes atmosphere.

Hi neil  there are a good few pictures of your shell island layout but i have only seen one over all view . that was in the railway modler augst 203 do you have any more show ing it in its full extent  .thanks kevin

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see some more photos of Shell Island, Neil. I'm glad that it's still around, I remember seeing it on earlier versions of the forum and in RM when I was newly returned to the hobby and taking my tentative first steps in EM. It remains as inspirational now as it did back then.

Regarding keeping dust off, I'm planning to add a lid to Fryers Lane for the same reason, will see if that does any good.

• 2 weeks later...

post-26535-0-87604700-1502557033_thumb.jpghi all just started on a mock up  or muck up :scratchhead: on a mk2 micro shell island flavoured type layout my 1st attempt now long gone and missed . I have changed the track plan this time to get it even smaller . I like to try and see how every think will look before cutting any timber or base boards , as I can move buildings around etc . I have kept the goods shed and same slip way as on my other attempt . like a lot of people when I 1st saw neil's shell island layout . I just had to have a go my self . I will be running british  stock and some irish stock  post-26535-0-59742400-1502557876_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

post-26535-0-59278000-1502954981_thumb.jpgthe only real building on the layout is the goods shed  . i did look around to see what I could find in the ready built market like Bachmann or Hornby but all were to big wrong shape , so looking in my scrap box I have used a Hornby platform section and bit of a Hornby station roof  and slaters corogated sheets. I wanted to keep the whole building as simple as possible and quick to put together post-26535-0-63491900-1502955083_thumb.jpg a bit of cutting to the platform to make a loading bay for transfer to lorry's etcpost-26535-0-38066200-1502955326_thumb.jpgpost-26535-0-55904200-1502955580_thumb.jpg when it came to painting I did start off going for a faded black and green doors look but changed it to good old grey and bits of rust . there is still some dry brushing to do but I will do this when the building is fixed in its final setting .

post-26535-0-86581300-1502955825_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Kevo, it's all very nice you're doing a homage to Shell Island, but shouldn't you have your own thread for it rather than use Neil's?

I don't mind, good model making is good modelmaking after all but I do think it deserves it's own thread if only to make it easier to find.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

A bump for this thread to ask the origins of the boat in the scene please.

Such boats are pretty readily available.

The only supplier I can think of OTTOMH though is Model Dockyard, who I think are based in Cornwall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Neil  i doint expect your see this . as in in a old post  . but if you do  can i ask . did you ever put any  footage of your shell island  layout on  it on u Tube  it would be fantastic if you did as its my one of my all time favourite  layouts 

• Like 3

Thanks  for reply Neil  . thats a shame   its a very popular  layout . i just wondered  as i think you said it had been to a few expos  and thought some one might have taken a few clips of it  on vid  . i have been thinking  of haveing a go at another micro copy atempt  again   its your pic of the green class 24  5092  on the bank above the slipway  that allways gets my mind ticking again .  that picture  really draws you in  i think  . 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neil said:

Actually Shell Island has only been out to two exhibitions (maybe three, cant remember if I took it to Thirsk) and one shop opening.

Did you do a York or Hull show with it? For some reason I think I’ve seen it ‘live’ but that may be confusion due to its (justifiable) high profile.