Point motors and accessory decoders

MattB

I'm looking for recommendations for accessory decoders suitable for peco pm4 and seep point motors

I have read about cobalt and it seems a good system but I dont know if its able to link to peco or seep gut instinct says it should be able to but I don't know if there will be enough power to throw the solenoid switch over.

Currently point motors are linked to a cdu to reduce the power and I throw the points manually on the panel but want to be able to do some route setting

All points are electrofrog

Hi

I use the Cobalt ADS8FX to power my Seep point motors, The ADS8FX is powered from the track bus and each output has its own CDU. I have it wred through push switches on mimic pannel and also addressed through my NCE powercab and Big Bear rail software. The addressing is easy, each output has a switch which you set to learn activate with dcc controller and switch back to run. I use route setting and it does throw muliple points one after the other.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Slightly off topic ref:seep motors, I have used the DCC Concepts AD8fx for slow action motors and all work extremely well through my dcc system and know of others in this parish that have successfully used the unit as described by Class108 for solenoid turnout motors.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

I use the Cobalt ADS8FX to power my Seep point motors, The ADS8FX is powered from the track bus and each output has its own CDU. I have it wred through push switches on mimic pannel and also addressed through my NCE powercab and Big Bear rail software. The addressing is easy, each output has a switch which you set to learn activate with dcc controller and switch back to run. I use route setting and it does throw muliple points one after the other.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Sorry to resurrect an old subject - I am just about to wire up 4 ADS-8FX decoders to operate 32 peco points and want to get this right. I would like the ability to operate my points using both momentary toggle switches on my control panel, switch polarity and have LEDS to indicate setting and also via DCC through my z21 Android Tablet. This gives me the ability to still operate the layout if my tablet dies via my Multimaus controller and panel. Reading this post it suggests that I simply use the DCC track bus to provide power to the input, wire up the switches, points and LED's and away I go?

Q1. Will the LED's remember which way the points are set when I power down at the end of the session?

Q2. Frog Polarity Switching - Reading other posts, it appears the ADS-8FX will forget which way the points are set if there is a short or I turn off the power at the end of the day. Is there a simple way around this?Options I have seen are:

1. Don't use the frog switching option and use separate frog juicers/auto-frogs and use other means for the LED's

2. Use a separate power Bus just for the accessory decoders. How do I do this?

3. Sell them and buy the latest ones with memory chips built in (expensive)

4. Use the Peco switches on the points for frog polarity change and Heathcote or similar circuit boards for LED panel indication

5. Programme an auto-route on the tablet to re-set the points to "off" every time I power up.

Thank you for any help and advice you can give.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

Sorry to resurrect an old subject - I am just about to wire up 4 ADS-8FX decoders to operate 32 peco points and want to get this right. I would like the ability to operate my points using both momentary toggle switches on my control panel, switch polarity and have LEDS to indicate setting and also via DCC through my z21 Android Tablet. This gives me the ability to still operate the layout if my tablet dies via my Multimaus controller and panel. Reading this post it suggests that I simply use the DCC track bus to provide power to the input, wire up the switches, points and LED's and away I go?

Q1. Will the LED's remember which way the points are set when I power down at the end of the session?

Q2. Frog Polarity Switching - Reading other posts, it appears the ADS-8FX will forget which way the points are set if there is a short or I turn off the power at the end of the day. Is there a simple way around this?Options I have seen are:

1. Don't use the frog switching option and use separate frog juicers/auto-frogs and use other means for the LED's

2. Use a separate power Bus just for the accessory decoders. How do I do this?

3. Sell them and buy the latest ones with memory chips built in (expensive)

4. Use the Peco switches on the points for frog polarity change and Heathcote or similar circuit boards for LED panel indication

5. Programme an auto-route on the tablet to re-set the points to "off" every time I power up.

Thank you for any help and advice you can give.

Ian

hi Ian  if you use the heathcote board you can get the one with LED panel indication and change over relay built on the board for frog polarity change .cheers Dave