Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

There was a changeover period of perhaps two years during which many trains ran with one unit in each of the old and new styles.  No Q-stock was repainted as that was entirely withdrawn by September 1971 before the "bus red" was adopted for trains.  

Yesterday I took my Heljan class 33 out of mothballs and ran the 4TC. The set was very free running despite having current collectors for the lamps. There was one derailment on a Peco double slip but otherwise the set ran perfectly.

The club members found this model more interesting than anything else we were running. I think it has the best flush glazing of any model since Hornby-Dublo's models. I liked the curtains and the coloured interior. Some Hornby 0 gauge coaches used to have working corridor connectors. Although the connectors were very close on the Kernow model passengers would have still needed to mind the gap. This could easily be rectified by gluing some black paper over the corridor connectors after putting the model on the track.

Another member said that he could replicate the blue moquette for the seats by taking some pictures of the prototype and getting a transfer manufacturer to make some seat transfers. I think he has already done this for some model Lynton and Barnstaple coaches.

I think that these are the best Mk 1 coaches anyone has made to date although they are a bit more expensive than the maroon Mk1s given away free with a magazine a couple of years ago.

post-17621-0-82060400-1507799961_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-94660000-1507800006_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-46946100-1507800053_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-06947700-1507800101_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

On the London Underground owned TC this is where the central door locking magnets are located. A requirement for main line running nowadays.

Yes, these magnets and the window bars are two additional features on the Kernow model which would perhaps make it financially unviable.

Evening all.

Received my NSE-branded blue and grey version this afternoon, so doing the happy dance now! ( - No pictures, mercifully!)  I only rarely wax lyrical, but what a splendid model: the flush glazing is superb, I love the orange curtains and I shall certainly be changing the headcode to (the supplied) '62' once I work up the courage to fiddle about with it, having so far limited myself to a quick inspection of the four vehicles. They are certainly as I remember them.....well - smaller, obviously :jester: .....but very definitely a TC, nonetheless.   Next task on the list is to deep-mine the magic cupboard to locate a suitably liveried bagpipe to push it around with.  Who would have thought, even just a few years ago, that Southern Region modellers would be so well catered for? For me, first the thumpers and now the TC.  Well done, Kernow.  Take a bow.

Happy Modelling,

Paul

• Like 1

Not on 4TCs themselves but sort of related: has anyone yet modified their class 33 lighting?

I was pondering the idea of changing the white bulb (at least, at one end) to a bicoloured LED and running an extra wire to illuminate the red part when propelling the TC unit(s). Of course, I would also need to add suitable resistors into the circuit to avoid blowing the LED. This would then balance out the changing headcode colour at the other end of the TC. My D6520 is semi-permanently allocated to the TCs now, so I don't envisage having to do this to any other 33 models at this stage. The other thought that occurs to me in this is that perhaps the red LED should be operated by a separate function and output from the decoder, otherwise the white headcode at the leading end (the one coupled to the 4TC) will be showing as well.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Yes, these magnets and the window bars are two additional features on the Kernow model which would perhaps make it financially unviable.

However in the past there are plenty of examples of limited edition models being released without the physical mods the prototype has so as to cash in on a certain livery.

Thus it would not surprise me to see the TC done in some form of LU livery in future.

• Like 1

• Tempfix

Ok, I'll admit it - I broke one of the couplings already. Blue and grey NSE one arrived yesterday to much excitement. Put it together using the supplied coupling tools. Two of the couplings went together smooth as silk, the other just wouldn't seem to engage. All sorts of careful wiggling and only the very slightest bit more pressure and it eventually slid in, powered up and found no lights at one end. Slid the offending one apart again to realise that two of the connecting wires on the flat part of the coupling were hideously bent.

Having invented a wide range of new swear words, I sat down with the smallest needle nose pliers I could find and set about teasing them back towards the right shape. Managed to get them close enough to fit back in the little slots on the coupling - was really surprised at how well attached they were to the pcb in there. Several very careful test fits and I got it back together and everything seems to be working, but I'm no thanks sure I'll have the courage to uncouple it again for some time!

Be very very careful with them folks. I'm sure I'm not really that ham-fisted and impatient. If they don't slide together with the most minimal of pressure with the plastic coupling tools slide them apart and have a look.

Only other real issue - why are the interior lights yellow? I know filament bulbs were on the warmer side of white, but they weren't yellow!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Only other real issue - why are the interior lights yellow? I know filament bulbs were on the warmer side of white, but they weren't yellow!

IIRC 'Warm White' LEDS are the most difficult and expensive to produce - hence why for the first few decades LEDs only came in Red,  Yellow and Green.

As such it may be a cost decision - as noted 'White' LEDs by nature have a bluish tint and given the choice between the two yellow was thought to be better.

• RMweb Premium

Not on 4TCs themselves but sort of related: has anyone yet modified their class 33 lighting?

I was pondering the idea of changing the white bulb (at least, at one end) to a bicoloured LED and running an extra wire to illuminate the red part when propelling the TC unit(s). Of course, I would also need to add suitable resistors into the circuit to avoid blowing the LED. This would then balance out the changing headcode colour at the other end of the TC. My D6520 is semi-permanently allocated to the TCs now, so I don't envisage having to do this to any other 33 models at this stage. The other thought that occurs to me in this is that perhaps the red LED should be operated by a separate function and output from the decoder, otherwise the white headcode at the leading end (the one coupled to the 4TC) will be showing as well.

I had a go at one of mine, it needs a bit of refinement but it looks ok.

Using some LEDs bought on eBay similar to these - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332395418957 (two legged version also available for DC users)

With a bit of modification the LED fit facing downwards in the cab interior.

post-11362-0-64996800-1507878433_thumb.jpg

For blinds I contacted the seller of this listing - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152249176661 and he kindly produced me a full page set of the grey blanks.

And the finished job looks like this

post-11362-0-05890500-1507878448_thumb.jpg

post-11362-0-98355400-1507878462_thumb.jpg

Headlight also added afterwards.

Dale

• Like 3

Thanks for that, Dale. I had in mind to use the existing light housing in the chassis, which would then continue to use the light 'pipes' to the headcode panel. Your solution deems to work well, though. If I can't rig mine the way I was thinking of, I'll do a direct copy of yours.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are one or two spots of light bleed which I have bunged up with black paint, especially the normal lense end of the LED. I also fitted another 33 with an Express Models kit but I don't think it looks as good as my DIY job as it uses yellow LEDs instead of warm white. For the main headlight I used a 2mm tower with the legs cut off as short as I dare to avoid shorting on the chassis block and I discarded the plastic cover over the top of the original lights.

Dale

Edited by dale159

• RMweb Gold

Received my model of 8022 with NSE branding yesterday, it's a fantastic model.

My only minor complaint is that when 8022 carried NSE branding, it had the NSE flash on the cab end gangway doors and this is missing from the model but other than that it's spot on.

• RMweb Premium

However in the past there are plenty of examples of limited edition models being released without the physical mods the prototype has so as to cash in on a certain livery.

Thus it would not surprise me to see the TC done in some form of LU livery in future.

Except that Kernow MRC has a reputation for getting things right and in as much detail as the scale and production processes allow. So window bars should be there as should the lower panels attached to the doors. In making that comment I am aware of accuracy issues with other current Kernow commissions but both affected models might have been altered by the Chinese rather than specified as such.

Received my model of 8022 with NSE branding yesterday, it's a fantastic model.

My only minor complaint is that when 8022 carried NSE branding, it had the NSE flash on the cab end gangway doors and this is missing from the model but other than that it's spot on.

There are photos of 8022 both with and without NSE flashes on the gangway doors.

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the LU liveried 4TC I suspect it would be a very popular version for any second run of the model; the actual set will be around for some time and is likely to be used in a variety of locations.

A set of painted etchings that could be applied by the more fastidious modeller could possibly overcome the much more expensive option of a retooling without adding massively to the overall cost. Just a thought.

In the meantime I am looking forward to the arrival of the NSE version next week - well in Cornwall anyway!

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the LU liveried 4TC I suspect it would be a very popular version for any second run of the model; the actual set will be around for some time and is likely to be used in a variety of locations.

A set of painted etchings that could be applied by the more fastidious modeller could possibly overcome the much more expensive option of a retooling without adding massively to the overall cost. Just a thought.

In the meantime I am looking forward to the arrival of the NSE version next week - well in Cornwall anyway!

all the best

Godfrey

I do hope so. I’d be happy to do some modelling if it came to it.

• RMweb Gold

Except that Kernow MRC has a reputation for getting things right and in as much detail as the scale and production processes allow. So window bars should be there as should the lower panels attached to the doors. In making that comment I am aware of accuracy issues with other current Kernow commissions but both affected models might have been altered by the Chinese rather than specified as such.

There are photos of 8022 both with and without NSE flashes on the gangway doors.

The only photos I can find of 8022 without the NSE flashes on the gangway doors also show it without the NSE branding on the sides i.e. Pre NSE Edited by Dan Bennett

• RMweb Gold

Mainline produced a BR buffet restaurant car with a blue solebar and a brown chassis and bogies in 1981. I bought this model in 1981 for £4.95 at the Engine Shed in Worthing, before the shop moved to Ford.. The model was made in Hong Kong and is nearly up to present day standards. It shows how much model coach prices have risen to the present cost of £269.95 for a 4TC set which is effectively four MK1 coaches.attachicon.gif006.JPG

One interesting thing to note. Am I correct in thinking that both the Replica catering vehicle and Bachman 4TC are the only RTR mk1s that have portrayed the post 'rust rot' window frames?

... not that I'm going to rush out and do some reverse 'cut and shut' engineering on a TC to get a proper Blue grey mk1...lol

Griff

• RMweb Gold

So my Blue/Grey set #404 arrived on Thursday, and i'm over the moon with it.

I had to wait until Saturday to actually try it on the layout, as I wanted to fit a DCC chip beforehand (i'm sure it would have been fine on DCC without the chip, but didn't want to take the chance - has anyone actually tried one on DCC without a chip?).

I've fitted a TCS 6-function 21-pin decoder, and it all works fantastic. Interior lights switch on when Function 3 is selected, and the headcodes switch off when function 1/2 are selected. With all lighting being switched on when function 0 is selected.

Only slight disappointment (that I had to do it, not to take away anything from the model itself), as already mentioned on here, is that I had to remove the cast buckeye coupling to be able to fit kadees (no 19's).

Overall, it's an absolutely stonking model, worth every penny (especially sat beside my scratchbuilt TC set, and with it sitting on it cassette, makes me hope Bachmann do a 4-Cig, even if it ends up at £300+.

*Edited for clarity around fitting of DCC decoder.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe one to do in conjunction with the LTMuseum shop.