Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

Perspective......£300 buys you a meal for two In Some of the restraunts round ere or 10 mins with a high class call girl.

There's a girl from Redruth way who would spend the week with you, even as a railway modeller and you got change out of £50 note.

The rash went, eventually.

Or you could buy a rather nice model made up of 4 individual bits, which should last a lifetime, can be used, admired and run, can be handed down, and may well appear on cash in the attic in 50 years time at some daft price.

Then you wish you had bought one, when you had the chance.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Are 2 of the coaches the same? Are the 2 driving trailers identical?

Yep, both Driving Trailers are identical....

This has actually turned to be cheaper than I anticipated for a model with working lights. Its in effect an exclusive non motorized 4-CEP and those are just above £300.

Dilemma time : which colour?

I have one 33/1 and this is the NSE Ashford and as far as I can tell, she never pulled a TC-4 in that livery. I,ve only one modern build (i;e Dapol) class 73 in the era concerned, the Pullman colour Brighton Evening Argus. Again as far as I can tell she never pulled one in that livery.

Of course I can run what I like, but will know it is just wrong.

I've found a picture of a class 74 on these: http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=9726455072&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2F4tc%252Cbritishrail%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%3Btextinput%3D4tc%252Cbritishrail%3Bphoto_type%3D250%3Bmethod%3DGET%3Bnoform%3Dt%3Bsort%3DInterestingness%23pic9726455072&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77243361@N07/9726455072

But none of a class 71.

And I found even a class 50: http://flickrhivemind.net/blackmagic.cgi?id=7273395888&url=http%3A%2F%2Fflickrhivemind.net%2FTags%2F4tc%252Cbritishrail%2FInteresting%3Fsearch_type%3DTags%3Btextinput%3D4tc%252Cbritishrail%3Bphoto_type%3D250%3Bmethod%3DGET%3Bnoform%3Dt%3Bsort%3DInterestingness%23pic7273395888&user=&flickrurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38042186@N03/7273395888

Not to mention 33/0s.

So I guess a blue/grey pre NSE is for me!

Next question: given these sets were pulled by something else, is there any advantage adding sound to these? Very good that we can control the lights by DCC by the way via a chip. But any unique sound for this class?

• RMweb Gold

I'd like one as a playmate for my 33/1 but I'm not desperate. I already have far too much committed to other pre-orders to think about adding another £250+ right now for something that falls into one of my secondary interests. If there are any still to be had this time next year I should have enough uncommitted budget to get one.

I suspect that those whose primary interest is the NSE era/area will find a way to afford one even if they would like more.  

As for those described in another thread as "acquisitors", that's always been a game reserved for people with deep pockets - they now need to be a bit deeper still.

It has been apparent for some time that we average mortals, lacking oodles of boodle, need to focus to our spending on what matters most. The random "scatter gun" approach to r-t-r collecting is, for many, no longer sustainable. 

Personally, I recommend focus, the delight you experience when a model is announced that really "fits" your interests far exceeds the equivalent generated by some random item that is just an attractive model. NSE fans should be feeling just that way this morning.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Once Kernow gave their final clues last week, and looking back at their earlier hints, I immediately thought a 4TC was on the cards.

It looks like being a great model once corrections are made. I also liked the fact Kernow didn't announce the model until an engineering prototype was released.

4TC + 33/1s visited Portsmouth on Sundays from about 1976 on Portsmouth Harbour-Reading services (headcode 80), but also turned up midweek in the Portsmouth area on very rare occasions when there was a shortage of available DEMUs.

• RMweb Premium

There is a picture and write up in the July BRM of which my sub copy crashed onto my doormat this morning.

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Oh well, it looks like my poor old Hornby converted unit will be sporting "COND" markings before too long.

Pricey? Yes, but doubtless it'll be worth it.

As others have said, this is the world we live in (sorry, that's a Genesis lyric) and if we want a 4TC then pay we must. Better one great model than half a dozen crude efforts! Ordering this weekend.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That would explain why only 3 new toolings are needed for a 4 car set then.

OK, I get it. I got my thinking wrong! All new it is. :punish: :banghead:

One thing I feel worth commenting on was how well this ran straight out of the box. Fortuitously I was in the right place on the right day to see when it first ran on rails, it underwent several scale miles of testing both hauled and propelled through complex trackwork. I think the Midland Pullman style semi-fixed couplings have a large to play in that as well as tightening the gaps up between coaches really well.

• Like 1

Would love a 4-TC, but at this price - no chance!

A 4-TC is nothing more than 4 coaches so would not expect to pay above £160. I base this on purchasing 4 x coaches at £50 each (at exorbitant current pricing!!) and getting a discount for buying four at the same time (-20% ish). If this had been a motorised unit it still would not be justified. (I notice the new versions of the 4CEP are similarly priced so I will not be procuring any more of those either!)

Well done on the selection and good luck to Kernow on this one but sorry no matter how much I desire one I cannot justify the cost.

There is little wonder we struggle for new blood in the hobby and as a railway modeller of some 45+ years of experience I feel it is perhaps time change hobbies. I fully understand why the prices are skyrocketing, but,  I can't fully understand those who are happy to pay the prices. There must be an awful lot of folk who earn substantially more than I do and have much more disposable income.  

• Like 1

would not expect to pay above £160. I base this on purchasing 4 x coaches at £50 each (at exorbitant current pricing!!) and getting a discount for buying four at the same time (-20% ish).

You can't sensibly compare 4 x main range coaches, in price terms, with a commissioned limited edition model with specific features which your main range coaches wouldn't have which appeals to a niche of modellers. The topic isn't for general price arguments again but I certainly wouldn't expect this product to be targetted towards those taking up the hobby.

Would love a 4-TC, but at this price - no chance!

A 4-TC is nothing more than 4 coaches so would not expect to pay above £160. I base this on purchasing 4 x coaches at £50 each (at exorbitant current pricing!!) and getting a discount for buying four at the same time (-20% ish). If this had been a motorised unit it still would not be justified. (I notice the new versions of the 4CEP are similarly priced so I will not be procuring any more of those either!)

Well done on the selection and good luck to Kernow on this one but sorry no matter how much I desire one I cannot justify the cost.

There is little wonder we struggle for new blood in the hobby and as a railway modeller of some 45+ years of experience I feel it is perhaps time change hobbies. I fully understand why the prices are skyrocketing, but,  I can't fully understand those who are happy to pay the prices. There must be an awful lot of folk who earn substantially more than I do and have much more disposable income.  

Please see post #20.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that this a great and welcomed product. I'm tempted to order a set myself for a future project and timing about right as was starting to research converting coaches myself. Don't need to bother now.

Yes I know on the face of it expensive, but not an easy conversion from mk1 coaches, requiring a level of skill. Added to that you have the cost of the donor coaches and conversion kits, plus paint etc. Of course you need to be pretty good with an airbrush to get a decent / acceptable finish.

Take that into account, not bad value for a ready to run product which judging by the shots here and Kernow / Bachmann previous models should look great ....

I'd better start saving before getting an order placed.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought. Will the all blue version have etched silver BR arrows?

TCs weren't regularly hauled by 71s, but it happened at least once on 11th April 1971 with E5005 and TC 427 with the Southern Electric Group's 'Man Of Kent' railtour.

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk gives details and there's a photo in Southern Electrics published years ago by Bradford Barton.

33/0 working with TCs was a little more common, although obviously not in push-pull mode!  There's a picture of green 33 D6551 hauling blue 4TC 418 approaching Radipole Halt on the Bournemouth to Weymouth line on 1st July 1968 on page 13 in A Southern Electric Album by Michael Welch published by Capital Transport.

For anyone wanting chapter and verse on the TCs, this is probably the definitive text, unless anyone knows a better source.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/bournemouth1966.html

That's it then. A DJM 71 on a 4-TC passing through Chatham!

• RMweb Premium

We're up to page 3 and nobody has commented on................ the Sound option...??? It's an unpowered EMU so what exactly are these sounds likely to be? (maybe brakes, compressor, horn, "clickety-clack" going over rail joints, guards whistle, doors closing, passengers talking...?)

For some reason I don't like bagpipes so if I do decide to buy a 4TC, I'll run one with a 33/0 as it was a common enough sight.

In NSE days, the 16.10 Waterloo - Salisbury was booked Class 50 + 8TC (at least it was whenever I saw it).

Bachmann certainly seems to have got the cab and gangway connector right. Do you think they might let Hornby use them to improve the VEP?

• RMweb Gold

Sound option, the same as any other SR EMU, just no traction motor sounds, so EP compressor, horn, brakes... but not much else....

• RMweb Gold

Also to add more about where they ran, I believe a 3-TC (maybe even a 4-TC?) was booked on the Reading - Redhill line in the very late 60's / early 70's for a peak hour working.

We're up to page 3 and nobody has commented on................ the Sound option...??? It's an unpowered EMU so what exactly are these sounds likely to be? (maybe brakes, compressor, horn, "clickety-clack" going over rail joints, guards whistle, doors closing, passengers talking...?)

For some reason I don't like bagpipes so if I do decide to buy a 4TC, I'll run one with a 33/0 as it was a common enough sight.

In NSE days, the 16.10 Waterloo - Salisbury was booked Class 50 + 8TC (at least it was whenever I saw it).

Bachmann certainly seems to have got the cab and gangway connector right. Do you think they might let Hornby use them to improve the VEP?

I posted a question on sound in post 53 (last phrase).

Looking at the models, some of the work is done for CIGs, REPs etc.

Edited by JSpencer

The couplers, gangways and air-horns are the same ;)

The front cab "face" is the same as the VEP. That means that if we place the Kernow/Bachmann TC side by side with the Hornby VEP, it will show up the inaccuracies of the Hornby model.

I will be placing a pre-order for at least one TC, probably two (blue and blue/grey early numberings). I would like a third in NSE livery but I don't think I can quite stretch my budget that far ... yet!

I recently bought a very cheap Heljan blue TOPS numbered 33/1 for $AUS100 (that's around the £50 mark), and with the other two 33/1s I already had, (one ble pre-TOPS, the other in 'Dutch' livery), I should be able to run a few variations on the theme. With the early blue and blue/grey units, they could be legitimately run together to form an 8TC with the earlier blue Heljan loco.

Anyway, it is an exciting development. Initially the price sounds steep but by current standards, it is reasonable for a new, limited production and availability unit. While others have speculated on the possibility of a REP unit being a lot more expensive, I would guess that motorising it would not cost all that much more, although it would probably go over the £300 mark. The REp could use the same driving coaches with different bogies and a heap more underframe equipment, while the other two coaches would require completely new body tooling, so it may not be a viable project for some time to come (much as I would like to have one myself).

I am very happy with the Kernow announcement. Well done Chris and the staff there.

• Like 1

Just a thought. Will the all blue version have etched silver BR arrows?

From post no.1:

The six models to be produced are show below - click on the image to go to the product information page and place an order: -

attachicon.gif1 unnamed (9).jpg

32-640Z Bachmann Class 491 4-TC Unit number 416 in BR Blue livery with small yellow warning panels and etched BR logos £289.99 (£269.99 for pre-orders) [emphasis added]

Paul

Edited by Fenman