Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

Thought you TC fans might like to see some REP / TC action on test.

This is our club layout Redbridge set from 1967 onwards, so a REP was required! Almost finished converting one and have recently installed an EPB motor. It moves the full 12 well and looks the business. We have another Blue TC which will replace the NSE version for the fully authentic '91 experience!

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

One for Kernow themselves to answer I expect.....

Are there any plans to produce any new 4TC units?

Seeing as they have more than 10 in stock of each type still left 2 years after arriving, then I highly doubt it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not only "More than 10" in stock (which of course means needing space to store more than 40 Mk1 coaches-worth of box) but they offered - and sold - a limited number of "Kenny Belle" packs with a Dapol 73 at a slightly discounted price.  

The 4TC is a superb model.  I'm sure it isn't the limited geographical appeal which has resulted in so many unsold units.  They covered most parts of the WR on service and charter operations and have been to the LMR and ER as well.  

Not all of us have space for a 4-coach unit which requires a loco to power it, meaning a five-vehicle trains.  And we don't all have pockets deep enough for a 4-car unit these days.  Even if quite a few of us could probably manage both.  

Added to which those people in Camborne and Guildford probably have other projects up their short red sleeves which are yet to see the light of day but which may entice us to part with modelling vouchers in the future.  

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Not only "More than 10" in stock (which of course means needing space to store more than 40 Mk1 coaches-worth of box) but they offered - and sold - a limited number of "Kenny Belle" packs with a Dapol 73 at a slightly discounted price.  

The 4TC is a superb model.  I'm sure it isn't the limited geographical appeal which has resulted in so many unsold units.  They covered most parts of the WR on service and charter operations and have been to the LMR and ER as well.  

Not all of us have space for a 4-coach unit which requires a loco to power it, meaning a five-vehicle trains.  And we don't all have pockets deep enough for a 4-car unit these days.  Even if quite a few of us could probably manage both.  

Added to which those people in Camborne and Guildford probably have other projects up their short red sleeves which are yet to see the light of day but which may entice us to part with modelling vouchers in the future.  

I would like one as I lived close by the SW mainline most of their service life but the cost exceeds my budget as you have to buy all four vehicles in one hit.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I have 2 4TCs and love them, I actually prefer them to my CEP, which doesn’t have traction (compared to a 73 or a 33 on a 4TC).

they arę excellently free wheeling, push and pull.

Wouldnt mind an LT red version.

I have two units already, one blue, one blue and grey, and can't justify another on cost grounds (although I keep eyeing off the NSE unit), but I think I would just scrape together the funds for an LT red one if it was offered (maybe I'll sell off the wife and cats ... :jester:).

• Funny 1

I appreciate that not everyone can justify buying a second 4TC, that does not mean that a second batch should not be produced.

I only have one (in NSE livery), id very much like another in NSE livery (no im not renumbering an original one). Im sure there are others who would like a second one with different numbers in a matching livery to whatever one they already have.

I hadn't actually considered (or didn't think there were) alternative liveries to release them in, the ideas of doing them in the two London Underground liveries is actually (in my opinion) a brilliant idea, the liveries bring them into the scope of more modern day modellers, I expect the Maroon one would look bloody fantastic behind Heljans Sarah Siddons.

Another possible version would be the Blue/Grey rake being restored for the Swanage Railway, again, I believe Heljan are releasing a 33/1, as preserved, as 33111.

• RMweb Gold

Another possible version would be the Blue/Grey rake being restored for the Swanage Railway, again, I believe Heljan are releasing a 33/1, as preserved, as 33111. 

33111 has already been released and somehow sold out so fast some of the retailers never even seemed to register it coming out and therefore still have it as preorder.

Rather odd...

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I appreciate that not everyone can justify buying a second 4TC, that does not mean that a second batch should not be produced.

Kernow have produced 6 versions so far - 2 in blue, 2 in blue-grey, 1 in Research Dept livery and an NSE version. They have more than 10 in stock of every one, so the chances of another version being produced are extremely slim I would have thought. They would need to shift most of that outstanding stock, plus consider whether a further run would sell. I would very much doubt it would. 

You have the option of an 8-car version in either blue or blue-grey, plus during the change of livery period mixed formations were often the case. I think we have plenty of choice.

With the latest batch of 4-CEPs now available at around £382 it would seem 4-TCs at £269 are a bit of a bargain, relatively speaking!

• Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

Every 4TC needs something to shove it and in my case it's a Heljan 33/1 with the sublime Penbits sprung chassis conversion (only suitable for P4 and EM Gauge models).   Initially there were problems with a low top speed that were entirely Heljan related.  For those who would like to know more: 

https://yeovilmrg.org/class-33-1-penbits-sprung-crompton-in-em-gauge/

2019-09-25_19-53-24_142.jpg.c676435f5768f3228144331b348080ff.jpg

The 4TC with 33/1 pushing rides extremely smoothly (unlike the real thing) at full speed (scale 90mph), and perhaps best of all generates loads of 'it's going the wrong way' comments at exhibitions!  

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I come late to this party having only just weakened and purchased on of Kernows, apparently damp damaged packs, well it's arrives and looks pristine :)

The model is lovely and really takes me back to the working on them and the days of Crompton and TC on the Pomey, Readings.

I'd very much like to have the 80 headcode from those trains, but looks like changing it is going to be something of a chore.

Any tips here please?

On 09/07/2020 at 12:52, mikesndbs said:

I come late to this party having only just weakened and purchased on of Kernows, apparently damp damaged packs, well it's arrives and looks pristine :)

The model is lovely and really takes me back to the working on them and the days of Crompton and TC on the Pomey, Readings.

I'd very much like to have the 80 headcode from those trains, but looks like changing it is going to be something of a chore.

Any tips here please?

It's not too bad a job, the front gangway pulls off revealing a removable door (you get 2 spares). Remove the headcode glazing piece from the door, and then I think I used some acrylic* thinners to remove the printing from the glazing. Then add number of your choice. Tada. 

*may have been enamel

20200403_134953.jpg.8f53ae15376a6e62155e94582cffd5df.jpg

I think I've got enough now...20200707_162339.jpg.bb78a9297441bd8dd232a2f9547e5691.jpg

BR Research 6 coach TC project on left, 6-REP project in the middle, and a 5-TCB project on the right.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

It's not too bad a job, the front gangway pulls off revealing a removable door (you get 2 spares). Remove the headcode glazing piece from the door, and then I think I used some acrylic* thinners to remove the printing from the glazing. Then add number of your choice. Tada. 

*may have been enamel

20200403_134953.jpg.8f53ae15376a6e62155e94582cffd5df.jpg

I think I've got enough now...20200707_162339.jpg.bb78a9297441bd8dd232a2f9547e5691.jpg

BR Research 6 coach TC project on left, 6-REP project in the middle, and a 5-TCB project on the right.

Can I ask , are your foam liners a commercial thing or did you make them ? Look very good, as I’ve lots of stock skidding around in really useful boxes 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Can I ask , are your foam liners a commercial thing or did you make them ? Look very good, as I’ve lots of stock skidding around in really useful boxes 

They're a commercial thing, nice chap called Jon does them. He is normally found at the Basingstoke and Fareham shows, and does a few others, think he's based in Aylesbury. No website unfortunately.

They're great, and you can make custom ones too with the amount of foam that's excess.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, shunny said:

Just ordered the NSE 4TC for £199.99 as part of their virtual show offers. I had been thinking about one for a while and the price is too good to miss if anyone looking for an NSE version.

And I just bought one at full price, that arrived a week back, ive not even opened it yet.

:banghead:

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned before but my dad has the premiere charter set and on the test track it seems fine put it on the layout and the lights flicker like it’s a momentary short  has anyone else came across this?

Dirty rails?

What controller are you using is it the same for test track and layout?