Back of an Envelope Pontification

Chris Nevard

post-6681-126816426854_thumb.jpg

Above - another idea of my onging possible project scribbled onto the back of an envelope last night during a tea break which was then cleaned up in Photoshop over breakfast this morning. I could use Catcott's fiddle yards I guess. Having acquired several Bachmann Scenecraft seconds and some Skaledale stuff which could be bashed about a little mixed in with a dash of scratchbuilding, something could be hacked out quite quickly I guess.

The curved nature would be a break from the norm, with the tandem pointwork being a good focal point. Trackwork will all be done properly this time, either useing C&L as with Catcott or maybe even handbuilt using spiked code 55 flatbottomed as Brian Harrap has on his super Quai: 87 layout. Of course a mix of the two could aslo look good.

A diorama approach will work well with what could be quite a deep layout height wise, starting low at the front with the brook rising up by 18 inches on the left hand side with an old 'batch' (slag heap) balanced by colliery buildings on the right.

The two parallel lines crossing from the middle to the left hand side are a possible aerial cable way to remove waste - if that could be made to work that would be great fun. Additional fun and games could be had with actually loading wagons too via a hidden shoot from the rear of the layout down to the screen which is middle right.

The look I'm after is a cold winter's day (even though this sketch looks 'summer') inspired by the last days of steam at Writhlington on the old S&DJR. Wagon stock would be 99% open wagons and locos anything from a Sentinels, 'Bagnalls' (Jinty), Pugs and maybe even a Hymek - no hard rules!

• RMweb Gold

That looks like a very interesting little layout Chris. In particular I like the curve at the front, and the depth/height you refer to should give opportunity for some interesting photography.

You know we'll all want to see that aerial cable operating smile.gif .

7F, of course - that's is going to be a very popular model that's for sure! I have a Stanier 8F to do up before then though. Small tank engines would be the staple power of course.

Below, the latest incarnation of the possible plan. I rather like the 'handwriting' style font 'Bradley Hand ITC'....

post-6681-126827413091_thumb.jpg

Beefing up a Skaledale pit head

post-6681-126827427539_thumb.jpg

'Bashed' shaft building (stone effect added and new hipped roof)

post-6681-126827431028_thumb.jpg

A close up of my kack-handed work - should look OK from a distance and once weathered and beaten up a bit

post-6681-126827433453_thumb.jpg

The dream...

post-6681-126827435257_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

That looks a great little plan you have there - lovely!

I do like the way you propose to use the verticl element, often rather overlooked i think. Are you going for the bleak wastes of a colliery look that the guys from the Stoke on Trent area (i think!) who have done a superb layout (can't remeber the name, sorry!) that was in MRJ not too long ago?

Will observe with interest,

Cheers,

John E.

I think I know the layout you mean - it was in the 'Toddler 2 or 3 years ago maybe? It was rather vast?

The Somerset coal fields were very different to the ones further north - often very cramped, rustic and rather rural - ideal for such a small area I guess.

I'm keep to explore the vertical element as a complete contrast to Catcott. I'm really looking forward to making up some run down stone structures (with individual slates of course) and that deep brook (4 to 6 inches deep) to help set the scene.

Whilst we should always use the real thing for inspiration, I'm really looking forward to seeing the little 2mm SDJR colliery layout with was featured recently in the Railway Modeller at Basingstoke this weekend.

Excuse any typos - we have a powercut at the moment and I'm using the minute keyboard on my mobile!

... I'm keen to explore the vertical element as a complete contrast to Catcott. ...

Neat concept, you could even model the stratification painted on the frontage all the way down to floor level, with a working coal face a few inches above the deck. That might make it the first layout that is taller than it is wide. That deep brook; is it meant to be natural or the leat (or whatever the local term was) carrying away water pumped out of the mine? Whatever, it can have a wrecked wagon in it too, tripped up on the tandem point and went over the side...

I think I know the layout you mean - it was in the 'Toddler 2 or 3 years ago maybe? It was rather vast?

The Somerset coal fields were very different to the ones further north - often very cramped, rustic and rather rural - ideal for such a small area I guess.

I'm keep to explore the vertical element as a complete contrast to Catcott. I'm really looking forward to making up some run down stone structures (with individual slates of course) and that deep brook (4 to 6 inches deep) to help set the scene.

Whilst we should always use the real thing for inspiration, I'm really looking forward to seeing the little 2mm SDJR colliery layout with was featured recently in the Railway Modeller at Basingstoke this weekend.

Excuse any typos - we have a powercut at the moment and I'm using the minute keyboard on my mobile!

Chris that layout was Higbury Collery its also going to be at alexander palace show as well

• RMweb Gold

'Bradley Hand ITC'...!!

And there was I thinking that Chris Nevard is an expert at calligraphy as well... smile.gif

I look forward to seeing this - although I'm not sure it could be connected to Catcott. A coal mine on the Somerset levels would actually just be a very full well...

Best Regards,

Zero Gravitas.

post-6681-126816426854_thumb.jpg

The look I'm after is a cold winter's day (even though this sketch looks 'summer') inspired by the last days of steam at Writhlington on the old S&DJR. Wagon stock would be 99% open wagons and locos anything from a Sentinels, 'Bagnalls' (Jinty), Pugs and maybe even a Hymek - no hard rules!

Sentinels? One of the special S&DJR dropped-footplate affairs, maybe?

Not on the S&D but still in the right neck of the woods, RM ran an article on Kilmersdon pit (served via a rope incline off the GW line through Radstock) some years back, might be worth a look if only for inspiration/atmosphere.

David

Sentinels? One of the special S&DJR dropped-footplate affairs, maybe?

Not on the S&D but still in the right neck of the woods, RM ran an article on Kilmersdon pit (served via a rope incline off the GW line through Radstock) some years back, might be worth a look if only for inspiration/atmosphere.

David

A Radstock Sentinel - of course;-) Gramodels hopefully will be releasing a resin body to go on a SPUD or suchlike later this year ;)

A very kind gent on this here forum scanned the Kilmersden feature for me - cheers, you know who you are.

A rather good book popped through the door earlier today too:

Collieries of Somerset & Bristol by John Cornwell ISBN 1 84306 170 8, that along with the 2 Radstock Coal and Steam books makes great reference material.

Now, if I had the space a cable hauled incline would be great like at Kilmersdon - one day maybe!

Hello,

I'm about to embark on my first shot at C+L OO track work. Does anyone know why the sleeper widths at turnouts are greater than straights? Was this, say, GWR specification? Also can't quite understand how to adhere the 4 bolt pattern chairs to the track?

I suppose I could ask the Man, himself, but would like to discuss

Cheers

Peter

A Radstock Sentinel - of course;-) Gramodels hopefully will be releasing a resin body to go on a SPUD or suchlike later this year ;) ...

Sounds interesting, I'll be keeping my eyes open for that :D Is that Gramodels the same as gramodels.co.uk who apparently do military models and are based in Watford?

Nick

Jack - thanks for the font tip! We can never have enough of these!

Nick, that's the one!

If anyone sees them at a show give them a prompt to get on with it. I think the developer was having a few problems with some of the curves when I was last in touch. A full orderbook I'm sure will be a great aid to help get over this!

There is a brass kit in development too (CSP) which I'm sure will be the canine's smelly bits, but for kak-handed bodgers like me something simpler that will 'look the part' running on a rtr chassis will always win.

Neat concept, you could even model the stratification painted on the frontage all the way down to floor level, with a working coal face a few inches above the deck. That might make it the first layout that is taller than it is wide. That deep brook; is it meant to be natural or the leat (or whatever the local term was) carrying away water pumped out of the mine? Whatever, it can have a wrecked wagon in it too, tripped up on the tandem point and went over the side...

It wouldn't be the first. Several mine based microlayouts taller than wide were built for the microlayout competitions that the French GEMME group used to hold. These were quite fun though tended to be a bit gimicky with H0e loops at different levels and cages continually rattling up and down the shaft. The working coal face should really of course be some way from shaft bottom.

A well modelled small coal mine tucked away in the Somerset countryside should be very attractive and I shall very much look forward to seeing Chris's layout- the plan looks good already.

Were the small collieries in north Somerset rather similar to those in the Forest of Dean?

David

• 2 months later...

At last construction has started on my coal mine project with a bit of kack handed carpentry this morning moving this project on from 'arm-chair' firmly into 'cuts-and-bruises' territory. As with most of my recent projects, this one will be housed in a diorama style box with built in lighting and a curved corner-less backscene (missing here) as with Catcott Burtle, Cement Quay and Arne Wharf.

The size of the module here which is being checked out by Fleur is 4ft long x 20 inches deep x 2 ft high. Why so high? Because there'll be a chimney and I want a backdrop to be seen behind it all the way to the top as well as protecting the highest part of the layout when in storage and in transit.

I've decided to use conventional materials this time too - simply because of what the previous owner of my house left in the garage and an offer on some ends of 6mm ply at B&Q. I don't need to build any fiddle yards this time for I'll be using Catcott Burtle's ones, I'll also be able to use Catcott's trestles and drapes.

The trouble bit is that I have yet to get planning permission for this project - but because I won't be making extra fiddle yards, legs and so on the amount of space it will take up is marginal.

Oh yes, if you're wondering what this is all about - page up to the top of this page!

post-6681-127644482575_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete :D

It will be even neater in due course, because I'll add a 2 or 3mm ply veneer to the front to match the landscape contours and hide the various joins. I needs to cut a gap in the surface for a stream too - though I have yet to decide where that will go. Next stage will be to book a show to give me a deadline - fingers crossed that nice Mr Lane will take this instead of Combwich for next year's RAILEX.

post-6681-127644725824_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete :D

It will be even neater in due course, because I'll add a 2 or 3mm ply veneer to the front to match the landscape contours and hide the various joins. I needs to cut a gap in the surface for a stream too - though I have yet to decide where that will go. Next stage will be to book a show to give me a deadline - fingers crossed that nice Mr Lane will take this instead of Combwich for next year's RAILEX.

post-6681-127644725824_thumb.jpg

I like the way that you do the difficult/boring bits first - sector plates etc. It's down hill from there and fun all the way B) - your'e going to have fun with that 7F on there ;)

A rather good book popped through the door earlier today too:

Collieries of Somerset & Bristol by John Cornwell ISBN 1 84306 170 8, that along with the 2 Radstock Coal and Steam books makes great reference material.

Now, if I had the space a cable hauled incline would be great like at Kilmersdon - one day maybe!

Probably the best book ( and one of the first on the Somerset Coalfield) is The History of the Somerset Coalfield by Warrington and Down published about 1970 by David & Charles . Another one is "Through Countryside and Coalfield" by Mike Vincent (?) . There are several smaller books such as one on the Newbury (Somerset) railway which served several pits in the Mells area and "The Camerton Branch" by G Beale which have a lot of local colliery info.

Its difficult to imagine these days that nearly 100 pits operated at one time in this very small area of Somerset and I was indeed fortunate to see some still working in my younger days and to spend many happy hours at Kilmersdon riding on the loco as it went about its duties.

Archived