Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

I think the truth is nobody really knows what the issues are. Until there is dialogue between the proprietor and the customers we don't know if the problems are technical, financial, willingness...

I and others have stated from the beginning what the issues are, in fact Paul Dunn has mentioned some of them too. Are you looking for an itemised list? Think of a business problem, he's got it. But folk who pay and don't get goods, and don't persevere in getting their money back simply encourage the situation. These Coopercraft threads are getting really stupid - that is an opinion - and are a waste of electricity in transmitting the same old same old back and forth.

The precautions are pretty obvious:

• Buy what you want, or think you might want one day, while you can. Nothing lasts forever and you'll get better results from newly tooled kits than decades old ones anyway..

John   

Absolutely. As a relative youngster in model railway terms I wasn't able to pick up Slaters, Coopercraft, Kirk, BSL/Phoenix kits etc. Indeed even the withdrawal of 247 Developments' GWR coach etches took me by surprise and alas I didn't manage to acquire what I would have needed. 

Your advice is absolutely correct and this has compelled me to really start considering my future kit needs. Relatively big orders will be going into Comet, David Geen, Worsley Works, Mousa Models and Frogmore over the next couple of years in order to 'futureproof' my forecasted need for GWR coaching stock! It is already very difficult to source certain types of GWR bogie, for example, but coach bogie of this parish - among others - has been a fantastic and appreciated source of knowledge concerning the myriad kit ranges and what is available, and, well... what's not!

The moral of the story? Stock up! (pun not intended).

Cheers, 

CoY

• Like 2

Stevenson Carriages of Chesterfield are still trading and I picked up his list today at Stafford.Mainly LNWR stock but other stuff too but no GWR.

Good to know, but then again, classic example of trading in a way that guarantees the minimum market!  If that's all the guy wants to do, I guess that's up to him, but for those of use who cannot make the show, a trader without even a basic website that lists the products and explains "how to buy..." might as well be a manufacturer of chocolate fireguards.

Any chance you could post the product list and contact details (or did the trader supply these details on a confidential basis!)?

Cheers 

Buy what you want, or think you might want one day, while you can. Nothing lasts forever and you'll get better results from newly tooled kits than decades old ones anyway.

Thank you John for legitimising my monumental kit collection. I suddenly feel a lot better about having accumulated it all!. Many thanks. 

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Any chance you could post the product list and contact details (or did the trader supply these details on a confidential basis!)?

Cheers 

I've only bought detailing bits from Stevenson Carriages at shows, but he is listed on the UK Model Shops Directory site.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/47822-StevensonCarriages

Good to know, but then again, classic example of trading in a way that guarantees the minimum market!  If that's all the guy wants to do, I guess that's up to him, but for those of use who cannot make the show, a trader without even a basic website that lists the products and explains "how to buy..." might as well be a manufacturer of chocolate fireguards.

Stevenson Coaches main business was supplying coaches built from his own kits. Probably he had more than enough work coming in by word of mouth and a few shows not to have to bother with any other advertising.

Stevenson Coaches main business was supplying coaches built from his own kits. Probably he had more than enough work coming in by word of mouth and a few shows not to have to bother with any other advertising.

Nice for them as know.

*coughs discreetly*

Yes, I can remember you mentioning that you yourself had a few kits put by on a couple of occasions. Better to have one in the cupboard than to have to trawl for it on ebay I suppose.

Edited by Dick Turpin

• 1 month later...

I don't really want to stir this up again, but Coopercraft/Mailcoach/whoever had a stand at Nottingham yesterday. About two ex Slaters kits there, everything else etched.  

I was going to raise the subject of my payment being taken via the website and goods not being supplied (well over a year ago) but life is too short and I've had a bypass - I get quite annoyed enough when Trump pops up onscreen, thank you. Just don't be fool enough to trust anything on the Coopercraft website, eh?

In the end I bought the NELPG 50th anniversary book from the Book Law stand instead. Subsequently I enjoyed the story of a bunch of chaps and girls, collectively resembling rather dirty Marvel comic heroes, who managed to buy and restore several locomotives, do up several more, run railtours, keep a preserved railway in locos, and hold down jobs at the same time. There may even be a moral somewhere  :senile:  

• Like 3

On investigation, he did have a bit more injection moulded stuff than the last post implies.

A fair number of LNER coach sides, ex Kirk, internal partitions, seats, some ends and the odd floor. No roofs or complete kits however, which rather stymies the customer appeal! Also what looked like some GW wagons, presumably the old Coopercraft ones.

I enquired about the seats, having bagged the last two packs of the LNER non-corridor type, and was told he had more at home.

So, still going after a fashion, which surely must be a good thing!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

still going but still not refunding for stuff that he has been paid for but can not supply. Not to me anyway.  In any case a few odd mouldings is a poor substitute for my once extensive range of coach kits.  I have still as yet received neither the kit I ordered some months ago, a refund or a reply to my offer of help.  So sorry, I still have to tell anyone who asks (I get enquiries about my former 4mm range from people who have found my O gauge website) that despite his listing of the entire range there is little chance of his fulfilling the order and every chance of any payment being lost. I would be delighted to change this if and when the current owner proves that he can in fact produce the goods. 

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

Owing people money and not repaying it is wrong. Would small claims court be helpful?

I think there may be bigger fish persuing that route. From what I have heard, I am surprised it is still going. I suppose someone is just hoping something will sort itself out, but maybe it is time for the hobby to come up with a plan, rather than just sitting back and grumbling.

• Like 1