Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

No. I can't, in just the way you can't either. 

The point is still valid, you can be pedantic with my choice of language if you want, but the rather more salient point is that knowing where you stand significantly reduces your risk of losing out financially.

Sheesh I asked a simple question of how you could qualify the statement "The Majority" as my own experience differed.

Obviously you can't, but I'm a pedant for asking. Nice one.

• Like 1

Note that the "Registrant Contact" is not Paul Dunn, whose name also does not appear. 

So any action against Paul Dunn may not be recognised by the domain provider, who therefore may not  be willing to take any action.

Wasn't Anthony Brown the previous owner of the real Coopercraft? It looks as though the address has been changed, but not the owner's name.

• RMweb Premium

Sheesh I asked a simple question of how you could qualify the statement "The Majority" as my own experience differed.

Obviously you can't, but I'm a pedant for asking. Nice one.

But surely you know the answer? I can't, aside from anecdotal information like yours, as you well know. I did spend 30 seconds Googling for number of account holders, but realised I couldn't be bothered, and actually it would just be absurd extrapolation. That means at best your question was rhetorical, at worst it's just petty point scoring? Either way, my point holds true, and is being lost in daft bickering:

- if you have a PayPal account and use a credit card (or debit card), don't expect your card issuer/bank to help if a transaction goes awry

- if you don't have a PayPal account and use them just as a payment gateway, like Worldpay or PayPoint then your contract is between your bank/card issuer and the retailer (not the payment gateway provider).

• Like 1

Wasn't Anthony Brown the previous owner of the real Coopercraft?

See the post at the top of the linked page for a brief history of the ownership http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66297-news-from-cooper-craftblacksmithslaterskirk-lnermailcoach-kits/page-8

I'm not sure where PayPal fit into the current situation as it is not referred to anywhere on the Cooper Craft website. Therefore mention, and or discussion of the relationship between vendor, purchaser and PayPal within the confines of this thread, seems to be something of a tangential issue.

I would consider that fact that he is still being invited to shows, allied to the fact that someone is paying the hosting company to 'maintain' his website as a good thing. All the while his attending shows we can be reassured that the ranges he owns are 'safe', Its the day when he disappears from the exhibition circuit that we should all be concerned by. 

Jonathan

Edited by Gt.Shefford

• RMweb Gold

But surely you know the answer? I can't, aside from anecdotal information like yours, as you well know. I did spend 30 seconds Googling for number of account holders, but realised I couldn't be bothered, and actually it would just be absurd extrapolation. That means at best your question was rhetorical, at worst it's just petty point scoring? Either way, my point holds true, and is being lost in daft bickering:

So to paraphrase.

You make a statement that you can't back up to prove a point you want to make.

I question that statement as my own experience is different

By asking for some evidence I'm 'point scoring'

You reckon your original claim still holds true,  even though you can't prove it and I'm bickering with you for questioning your claim

Congratulations,  you've win the prize for the best bollox post of the day.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 3

Ever thought Dunn might be a RMwebber and reading your game plans?

He's had a couple of logins here; he doesn't seem to use them now. I would imagine this topic would be the most depressing litany for any manufacturer to read so he probably doesn't. If he did I'm sure he wouldn't have continued to be so reticent to issue refunds.

head-in-sand.png

• Like 6

He is not a well chappy

Interesting that no-one has picked up on this comment.

I would not wish genuine (as opposed to 'diplomatic') physical illness on anybody ... BUT unless he is completely prostrate, unable to move and unable even to speak ... why could he not just get a friend or relation to open-up his laptop in front of them and tell them, a step at a time, what to do to put realistic statements and explanations on his website.

No, sorry, this - even if true - is not a satisfactory explanation for what this man has been doing.

Or are you hinting at some form of mental illness?  Yes, I know that's not a nice thing to speculate about.  Tell me I should be ashamed of myself if you like.  But - hypothetically at least - in the context of what has been occurring it might make quite a few things make sense.

OK, this is what I have done. Letter to the Worldpay Customer Complaints Department outlining the situation and suggesting they protect their good name and reputation by withdrawing facilities from Cooper Craft. Filled in on-line form to Trading Standards (the web site reads like “don’t contact us and we won’t contact you), but may be worth a try. Filled in on-line form to his web site provider: http://sinclaireknight.com/contact-us/ - again, worth a try. If none of this brings any result, I have a couple of other options in reserve, one of which is nuclear and could cause Dunn much trouble. I will reveal all if I have to.

Please, if you have lost money with Dunn, give me support by contact Worldpay, Trading Standards and his web site host. We MUST get this site taken down to prevent others sending this cowboy money and never seeing the ordered items or their cash again.

I will let you know what happens.

Finally, while I wish nobody ill-health, it should be noted that, in the event of Dunn’s demise, Judgement creditors will have to be paid by his Executors before Grant of Probate can be issued. It may well be years but, spend the £25 and get a Small Claims Court Judgement against Dunn. There is a reasonable chance you may get your money back in time.

• Like 6

Real shame it got to this point as Coopercraft kits were very  high quality some years ago.  However, having purchased a 16mm kit from the latest owner about 3 years ago I realised that the quality had suffered from worn out tooling (kits were covered in flash).  I contacted the new owner who said he was having problems with the tooling and suggested he may have to machine tooling to improve kits in the future.  Since then never bought another Coopercraft kit and just now accept they are a thing of the past and have moved on to ready to run.  Great kits in their time but all good things come to an end and not worth the effort chasing this chap in my opinion... Just steer clear of him.

Real shame it got to this point as Coopercraft kits were very  high quality some years ago.  However, having purchased a 16mm kit from the latest owner about 3 years ago I realised that the quality had suffered from worn out tooling (kits were covered in flash).  I contacted the new owner who said he was having problems with the tooling and suggested he may have to machine tooling to improve kits in the future.  Since then never bought another Coopercraft kit and just now accept they are a thing of the past and have moved on to ready to run.  Great kits in their time but all good things come to an end and not worth the effort chasing this chap in my opinion... Just steer clear of him.

But aren't kits such as Ratio just as old or older and they seem okay ?

But I would suggest that Ratio's moulds are being used AND maintained.  CC's are NOT and weren't hence all the flash on his latter stuff.

It is a known fact that the moulding machine was adapted for his stuff.He can longer get parts or another and it would seem that he is NOT interested either way.

Someone comment that just let it go....which is good BUT the issue is that newer modellers will get caught with his site by unwittingly ordering expecting it to deliver and lose their money like some he already have.

Turfburner needs to be applauded AND supported in trying to get the CC site shut down so no-one else gets ROBBED!!

Khris

It is more than just the coopercraft range though, it is the blacksmith range of etched kits and iirc the mailcoach range.

He had been getting more etches run off and designed at one point for both, but not the entire range. For some items he cited issues with castings and lack of knowledge of what goes with what kit etc.

In the case of ratio, peco have continued to keep the moulds going and invested accordingly.

• Like 1

Brian

I know very little about injection moulding except from conversations with Peter the previous C&L owner, these moulds do either require repair or replacement over time. Peco have invested huge sums of money in both the software and hardware to produce these moulds, plus have the ability to produce the parts in house. They are in a far better place than small cottage industries to retain the quality of the kit component parts

• Like 1