Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

I don't know the chap other than buying the parts from him at the shows, he seems nice enough when you chat with him and at the last show I saw him whilst the plastic side of his stock seemed very run down, the quantity of etched kits had increased greatly, he does seem at least to be doing something positive to turn the business around for at least the etched side.

I am not trying to defend some of the things which have gone on in the past with both the plastic side of the business or his mail order/website practices.  Let's hope he can sort these issues out in the new year, and perhaps be a little more forthcoming about the likely direction the business is taking. As it will be a shame to loose these ranges

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone actually ask him what's going on, or not, when they see him at exhibitions? There have been various comments about doing so, but nothing gets reported.

Hi John,

At this year's Scaleforum I spoke to him about the A26 autotrailer etch, which he didn't have one him, and also passed on that a lot of RMWebbers were very unhappy. He didn't really answer it, briefly mumbled something about sorting out the machine and then served the next customer. I wondered off then.

I suspect he is just way out of his depth with the whole thing, certainly not an excuse mind.

I hope this is of some use.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Thats a shame - a hobby such as ours still needs the cottage industry suppliers. Its not life breaking, but it would be nice to have some of those old Coopercraft / Mailcoach kits again.

I suspect this is his downfall Neal, not enough capital (or access to credit) to invest in replacement equipment, or the return would take far too long to recoup.

If this is the case, he would be better to come out and say it - at least everyone would know the lay of the land.

Kind regards,

Nick.

I suspect this is his downfall Neal, not enough capital (or access to credit) to invest in replacement equipment, or the return would take far too long to recoup.

If this is the case, he would be better to come out and say it - at least everyone would know the lay of the land.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Nick

Agree with you but his stand as far as etched kits were concerned was a lot fuller at Scaleforum, lets hope he gets his act together

Didn't realise it was as long ago as July when I spoke to him. Time to pay a visit I think, it may be the only way my son will see his money back.

As for this:  Due to some of the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach, Kirk & Slater's have been out of stock due to a problem with my machine, it will be best for you to place your order but not pay for it at that time. I can let you know when back in stock before you pay for it.

It went up a few days after my son ordered.

I find that a solicitor's letter often focusses the recipient's mind.

Especially where I have written it.

EDIT: I still reckon the owner is best off off-loading the ranges on someone with the means to resurrect them - if such a person could be found.

Regrettably, I rarely have the time or budget to attend shows, and when I do, they are never very far afield, so, a bloke turning up to a few shows with a box of etchings is neither use nor ornament to me.

He has a fully functioning e-commerce site and an email.  He needs to ask someone to show him how to use them!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

EDIT: I still reckon the owner is best off off-loading the ranges on someone with the means to resurrect them - if such a person could be found.

Regrettably, I rarely have the time or budget to attend shows, and when I do, they are never very far afield, so, a bloke turning up to a few shows with a box of etchings is neither use nor ornament to me.

He has a fully functioning e-commerce site and an email.  He needs to ask someone to show him how to use them!

Sometimes where one person has the skills in production, another who has the ability to do the marketing could work better, perhaps there is a like minded fellow modeller with those abilities who could help out for some form of consideration. This way everyone wins

I think there is a fellow RMweb user who knows the owner, if so could enlighten us to the situation  

• RMweb Premium

The first stage of the solution is for the owner to acknowledge that the business is out of his control.

Its another problem to find someone who can take it on. As the injection moulded side of the business is concerned, it currently has very little value. There is no way it could be sold as a going concern. Which I suspect is a long way from seeing any return on his investment.

In some respects you have to feel sorry for him.

The first stage of the solution is for the owner to acknowledge that the business is out of his control.

Its another problem to find someone who can take it on. As the injection moulded side of the business is concerned, it currently has very little value. There is no way it could be sold as a going concern. Which I suspect is a long way from seeing any return on his investment.

In some respects you have to feel sorry for him.

I guess in its present state the business is not an attractive proposition to buy, then the chap may well want to recoup what monies he has invested, this is why I suggested linking up with someone who has the skill set that is required to try and save as much of the business as possible

Looks like there is a major problem with the plastic side, is it the machinery or moulds or a combination of both, at the moment each side is loosing, which is a great shame. 

Were they full kits, or just the etchings? Whenever I've seen his stand at shows he's only had the etches. 

Pete

I guess that are just etchings, which in itself is much better than nothing at all. No doubt the chap will be at Railex and if the odd person (not everyone) would tactfully approach him for an honest heads up on the ranges, would be of benefit certainly to those interested in what he has

Presumably the outcome of your missive was a refund?

• RMweb Gold

It's good to see Paul progressing with the 'Blacksmith' etched coach bits. A very welcome development for me!

As l see it regarding the old Slaters plastic stuff the problem would seem to be that the old moulding machines are probably life expired. The cost of new replacements nowadays is certainly astronomical l am reliably informed. Probably not a economical proposition for a 'one man band'

That said perhaps we should accept the situation and give our support to the first rate etched stuff that is available. 

As an aside regarding Slaters from which some of these machines l assume came from they are not covered in glory with their production of embossed 'brick' Plasticard which has been substandard for years now with the mis-alignment of the vertical courses. The renewal of the machines for these sheets is long overdue considering the amount of money that they must have made over many years from us hobbyists.

We (Balcombe Project) gave up on this poor quality embossed sheet as we needed a vast quantity for the viaduct and went to using SEF vacuum formed sheet although not as crisp in the embossing at least it was correct in the vertical alignments. and therefore easier to use.

@John

I think people would be prepared to accept the plastic range is gone but what gets people's goat is that the website shows it for sale and can take money for it. I ordered some etched products from the site. Took literally months to arrive. Contrast that to Wizard where you usually receive your order within a couple of days. That type of delay also gets people's goat.

Sure he's a one man band. So are plenty of others many of whom are more adept and serving their buyers

David

• Like 1

It's good to see Paul progressing with the 'Blacksmith' etched coach bits. A very welcome development for me!

As l see it regarding the old Slaters plastic stuff the problem would seem to be that the old moulding machines are probably life expired. The cost of new replacements nowadays is certainly astronomical l am reliably informed. Probably not a economical proposition for a 'one man band'

That said perhaps we should accept the situation and give our support to the first rate etched stuff that is available. 

As an aside regarding Slaters from which some of these machines l assume came from they are not covered in glory with their production of embossed 'brick' Plasticard which has been substandard for years now with the mis-alignment of the vertical courses. The renewal of the machines for these sheets is long overdue considering the amount of money that they must have made over many years from us hobbyists.

We (Balcombe Project) gave up on this poor quality embossed sheet as we needed a vast quantity for the viaduct and went to using SEF vacuum formed sheet although not as crisp in the embossing at least it was correct in the vertical alignments. and therefore easier to use.

John

Not trying to be either rude or knowing more than others (quite the opposite in fact) but looking in from the outside Paul as you have said has some great stuff available, its just many seem to both not know about it and have difficulty in obtaining it. I am certain if the availability was improved along with  better publicity, all would be in a better position. I do wish him well and hope the new year will goes well for him, his products and customers

• Like 1

Sometimes where one person has the skills in production, another who has the ability to do the marketing could work better, perhaps there is a like minded fellow modeller with those abilities who could help out for some form of consideration. This way everyone wins

I think there is a fellow RMweb user who knows the owner, if so could enlighten us to the situation  

Good point.

I believe there was a coterie of potential helpers, though they didn't pursue anything after their initial contact with me.  Possibly nothing came of it, or, possibly, I was deemed too forthright on the subject, in any case, I see no evidence that anything has changed for the better, so it is tempting to conclude that the owner would not accept help or could not agree sensible terms with those apparently willing to help him.

I've nothing against this chap personally, for all that I'm concerned the ranges he has bought have mostly gone to oblivion, and I'd happily help him (wife is a marketing whizz), but you've got to want to be helped!  

The frustration now is the apparent lack of tangible progress in any direction!

Contrast Mr Cambrian Kits. He whose retirement is foretold here.

Clearly his is a modest operation and one where a significant inventory is not necessarily maintained - I cherish the mental image he conjured of his wife being sent to a shed at the bottom of the garden to slave over a hot moulding machine to fulfil my order - but, the website is good and I had no difficulty in placing a telephone order, which was delivered in an entirely reasonable timeframe.

This is how to do it.

• Like 1

Good point.

I believe there was a coterie of potential helpers, though they didn't pursue anything after their initial contact with me.  Possibly nothing came of it, or, possibly, I was deemed too forthright on the subject, in any case, I see no evidence that anything has changed for the better, so it is tempting to conclude that the owner would not accept help or could not agree sensible terms with those apparently willing to help him.

True, I gathered around 10 bods who were interested in forming a support group.

Detailed terms were never discussed because I was given information that caused me to withdraw.

I will not be saying more about it here but if any of those 10 wants a private chat you need to seem at an exhibition.

Good point.

True, I gathered around 10 bods who were interested in forming a support group.

Detailed terms were never discussed because I was given information that caused me to withdraw.

I will not be saying more about it here but if any of those 10 wants a private chat you need to seem at an exhibition.

Thanks.

I entirely respect your discretion.

(and never say anything in an email or text that you don't want a judge to read)

(Theresa May, Amber Rudd, the staff of GCHQ, and the staff of GCHQ's spouses' tennis partners, can read them all any way, of course)

Thats a shame - a hobby such as ours still needs the cottage industry suppliers. Its not life breaking, but it would be nice to have some of those old Coopercraft / Mailcoach kits again.

I disagree. If a supplier fails, then this makes it possible for others to come in with updated products. While Coopercraft are still advertising their ranges, other manufacturers will be reluctant to invest in replacements.

• Like 2

I disagree. If a supplier fails, then this makes it possible for others to come in with updated products. While Coopercraft are still advertising their ranges, other manufacturers will be reluctant to invest in replacements.

I'd have thought, Bill, based on the comments on this thread and the SLaters topligjt thread, that a GWR toplight to the quality of your recent GNR coaches would be a good seller. As a designer and manufacturer, what sort of numbers do you need to be getting to justify the investment?

David

Coopercraft might be advertising them, but you can't buy them from them/ him, and haven't been able to for a good few years now. What's the alternative.....send me a deposit and when I get enough deposits I'll maybe think about producing them in a year or so?.........