Looking for Lost Track Plan

Collett

Ken does mention his failure with third rail and adoption of stud contact instead in his book.  Going by the photographs of Tyling as a terminus, the studs are not particulary intrusive - though the rather low resolution of the photographs may be a contributory factor in that.  He does refer to the collector shoe on his kit-built 14xx squeaking as it went over the studs!  The photos of Castle Combe are rather sharper and I can't see any evidence of studs in those, although he doesn't mention in the text that he'd switched to two rail for that layout.

• RMweb Gold

I am pretty sure Ken had adopted 2 rail by the time he built Castle Combe although I didn't know him personally then. He was a very skilled engineer and would have no problem doing either, it was more that two rail was rather novel in the 40s, Stud Contact was seen as avoiding the third rail look without the trouble of insulating things at a time when suitable materials (indeed materials in general) were in short supply. I got to know him in his 0 gauge days and spent many happy hours with him and the layout.

Don