SNCF society competition/challenge

rue_d_etropal

Received latest SNCF society mag, with info about competition for next year's annual get together. Now I can't normally get down to it, but this time I might try.

Reason being the competition to build a layout in up to 3 boxfiles. I have bought some cheap boxfiles and have been playing around with a design for an HO layout using my 3D printed track and buildings.  This should help to reduce weight, making them even easier to transport. Only complex part is wiring, especially for between boxfiles, but fingers crossed. Latest design includes 7 points and one wagon turntable!

• RMweb Gold

A nice initiative to boost the Lenham event. I have only managed to get to one SNCFS event at Gravesend. Lenham not really any better in terms of battling the M25. I do wish they would hold it somewhere more accessible for the rest of the UK.

I agree. I have been three times but it's a 3 hour drive and it really takes t out of you on a Sunday and often results in me having to take a day of annual leave. I have to say though that I think it is definitely worth it and I enjoy catching Up with fellow members and seeing different layouts.

I am slightly tempted to have a go at a box file but would I be able to do anything decent in the time? Hmmm

• RMweb Gold

I used handbag clasp magnets to hold the boxes together, these can be used to pass power. I also used a removable building over the join, under which I hid a chocolate block connector.

Best of luck with your entry.

Stu

I am hoping my 3D printed track will enable be to link boards OK. Just a lot of wiring, as I wire up all points live(continental style) and use isolating switches to set power to each track. It is simple and works. Hoping not to have to cut boxes that much, by using lid of box as base and box as backing, so taller buildings fitted at back. I have seen it done this way round before.

It would be better to have somewhere easier to get to. Had forgotten it was a Sunday. Certainly would not drive, distance and time of year. A more central location might attract new members from other parts of Britain.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• 2 weeks later...

the old style, mottled cover ones have solid ends. I had wanted to get a white one, but none found so will paint one white, one blue and one red.

I am also looking at other layout designs based on upturned box files. Surprising how much can be fitted on the opened lid.

. Surprising how much can be fitted on the opened lid.

Are you allowed to use the lid ?    I thought the model had to be fitted into the plan/footprint of maximum 3 box files . I have emailed Roger a few questions to clarify things like this .

It only says to use the box. The footprint of the lid is the same as the box, and means less changes to the box have to be made, so is actually using the box more effectively. The only mention of the lid, is that it should not be removed. It must also be possible to close the box. It does say it must be contained within a standard A4 sized boxfile. Might be sloppy writing(not being critical, just nit picking), but would not be first time rules have been set without fully dotting the 'I's and crossing the 'T's.

Rather appropriately it sums up my way of thinking,'outside the box', but in this case I am both in and out of the box.

To be fair, if someone says I am breaking the rules, it does  not bother me, as I still think it is the best use of 3 boxfiles for small portable layouts. I had been looking for a simple way to show my 3D printed track and buildings systems off , and this ticks all the boxes(sorry unintentional pun there!).

I also plan to write an article, as I have done for many of my layouts, and submit it to one magazine, maybe more. I am always looking at ways to promote the hobby.

• Like 1

A nice initiative to boost the Lenham event. I have only managed to get to one SNCFS event at Gravesend. Lenham not really any better in terms of battling the M25. I do wish they would hold it somewhere more accessible for the rest of the UK.

"They" are the society members prepared to put in the work each year to organise it. Since they are in Kent they're not going to organise it in the Midlands .If others were prepared to run a second event in another part of the country at a different time of the year I'm sure people would come.

It is always going to be able to organise an event locally. Trouble is that unless you make it easy for those further away to get to the event, it is always going to lean towards local support. As far as I thought this event is meant to be for everyone not just those local. Maybe a London event would have been better for the group .

I remember visiting SNCF office in London many years ago for some posters, not sure exactly why because at the time I had no specific interest in French railways, and my parents had not shown any interest in moving to France. Maybe one of the French tourism organisations would have helped, as the group is in effect helping to promote France. The France show held annually at Olympia  has a lot of support from French organisations, in fact maybe offering something from the group might be a good idea. Ironically Warners used to print/distribute one of the magazines involved. 

Having said that, I have worked out that by travelling overnight down to London and then catching train from Victoria I could get to the event. Not impossible. Just hope engineering works and/or bad weather don't derail that plan.

Just thought of something for anyone up north. One of the most successful of the French property exhibitions is in Harrogate, I wonder if approaching the organisers might be an idea. Just a thought.

• RMweb Premium

I have only ever made one get together and that was in the days when it was in Oxford.  And that was a trek and a half. 

I do understand the comments about lack of accessibility for those far away, but from the last membership list that was published, around 75% of the members lived south of a line from the Wash and through Birmingham and of those about 75% lived in the South East.  If you look at the reports of local group meetings in the Journal, I doubt if much has changed.

While London may seem like a very sensible and accessible location, the cost of a hall there would I think price the society out of the market. 

I think we should be grateful for and to the small group who have organised the meetings even if the location is not particularly accessible for some individuals (including me)

I am always concerned when figures indicating most memberships in one region so that should be base for meetings etc. It is possible some in other area don't join or get involved because they don't feel included. Having grown up in the south east, I know that the brightest light is London. Easier to go up to London than across country.

Costs for anywhere in London would be very high, which is why i suggested talking to other organisations which share an interest in France.

One of our local clubs does have strong links with France, partly because town is twinned with a town in France, so the clubs in each work together, inviting each other to exhibitions. Only time I had a French themed layout exhibited at their show as when the French club could not get over.

Harrogate has strong links with France, with regular French property exhibitions, and Sanef the company which owns some of the French motorways , and providing the toll payment devices for vehicles, has it UK base there.

I think some of the modellers interested in French themed models feel a bit isolated up here, one reason I like the idea of this competition as it has given me an incentive to try and get down to the event, even if I fall asleep once I get there!

Meeting and local groups happen because local people are willing to organise them not because the society has made a decision on the best location.

The GRS organised a recent show in Didcot (we took the SNCF Society sales stand there) and I think it was there largely because those prepared to organise it are around the Oxfordshire area not because it was central for their national membership. Nevertheless it was pretty well attended.

The 009 Society, which I also belong to,  has a fairly large number of local groups  some of which organise members days open to all  not just their own local members and even public exhibitions open to all.

It's true that the 009 Society has a fairly large membership more evenly spread across Britain but for smaller societies like ours it's still possible to set up local groups snd they can operate in different ways.

I've belonged to two in the 009 society, one of which meets monthly on a weekend afternoon in a village hall and the other monthly on Friday evenings in each other's homes. We set up a similar local group in the SNCF Society about twelve years ago and we take it in turns to host a Sunday afternoon meeting every six weeks or so.

Apart from us there seems to be one other local group and a couple of more ad hoc groupings one based on an MRC with a number of members interested in French railways and the other around someone's large layout.

I'm sure there are other areas with enough local members to start such a group even outside the South East. Someone or preferably several someones have to be prepared to organise or at least co-ordinate such a group but it's not that difficult. What doesn't work is to wait for someone else to do it as that's likely to be a very long wait.

Edited by Pacific231G

The OO9 society does have a lot of members and local group are large. Up here Narrow Gauge North is partly organised by the local group. On this side of the Pennines there is also a large local group, and I think each national AGM/exhibition is held alternately between the north west and the south. It is down to having enough well organised and motivated people locally, and I do know that there might be difficulties for narrow gauge in the south when some have to retire because of ill health.

When I was at the first Tracks to Trenches event a couple of years ago, there were visitors from all over the UK, and although reasonably centrally placed, is not the easiest place to get to, especially b public transport.

Unfortunately it is more difficult getting interest in French railways, which is why I suggested talking to other groups, which is something I might try up here. When I attended RAMMA in 2013, I noticed it was closely organised with not just other hobby groups but also the local community. I understand that many exhibitions in France have close connections with local communities, even getting funding.

I have found that there has been a very positive reaction to my French themed layouts, although some pure British modellers do not take as much interest.

There has been an increase in non British themed layouts at exhibitions over the past few years. When Bachmann introduced range of On30 American models, there was an increase in interest, mainly from younger people, bringing in more young people to the hobby. Hopefully the new OO9 models will be as successful. The WW1 commemorations have increased interest, but many seem to perceive them as British themed layouts. Metre gauge was far more common than 60cm and 50cm in France, but 12mm gauge is not as easy to get into. Even in bigger scales, some cheat and use the wrong gauge(but at least it is something). I have plans for layouts in 1/32 using O gauge track(an idea I have been working on for a few years), and 5.5mm/ft using 16.5mm gauge, as this does not need as much space, and mechanisms and track are cheaper(EM gauge would be nearer but less r2r bits to use).

• 2 weeks later...

To return to the original subject. I have corresponded with Roger Allen the instigator of the challenge to confirm a few points about the Challenge. Firstly the size of the boxfiles may be up to 370 x 275 x 75 millimetres outside dimensions. This covers both A4 350x275x75 and Foolscap 370x245x75 sizes. Although it must be pointed out that there are many variations on these sizes and boxfiles seem to be anything but standard.  Also the lid, the side of the box the lid is attached too and the back of the box must remain fixed together. The other three low sides of the box may be made removable. No external fidde yards or sticks are allowed, all track must be within the area of the three boxes.  One important thing is that the boxfiles can be closed up with all the parts of the layout or diorama packed away inside. As was stated before rolling stock and control equipment is not included in this requirement.

In general the rules are fairly loose, Roger is keen to see entries and imaginative interpretations of the brief .

Hope that helps .

Ian

Just like to say thanks to Unklian for seeking the additional info. I had been meaning to contact Roger but kept forgetting! I'm new to the SNCF Society and reading about the challenge in the journal I thought it sounded a laugh, especially after purchasing a Jouef Languedoc-Rousillon liveried X73500 with sound from a model show recently. I've decided to try and source the Arnold N-gauge equivalent as that will make building a box file layout a bit more interesting - even two or three boxfiles in 00 wouldn't leave a lot of room. Don't feel threatened though fellas - I have never made a layout before (this is actually my first post on the forum!!) and my entry is more to get involved in the social side of the society and get a bit of practice before one day hopefully convincing the missus to let me build something a bit more substantial in the spare room. We are both Francophiles so my plan is to let her get creative in scenery planning and help design her own little bit of France, to make the idea a bit more appealing to her...

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of stirring things a bit, it's a chicken and egg situation. Organise everything in the far South-East and that's where your membership will be.

Didcot sounds like a very good choice of venue as easily accessible to most of Southern England as well as the Midlands and North. But even in London there are cheaper venues available for a small show/get-together such as this.

PS: David, I have organised an SNCFS event in the past for the South-West.

I agree with what you say Joseph. Up in north west there are people who model French railways and one of our local clubs is twinned with a club in France(I think as a result of town twinning), and French club always attend exhibition. It is one reason i struggle to get my french layouts t that exhibition and the one time I did was because the French club could not attend. That then resulted in me being invited to other exhibitions such as Porthmadoc, as it was a narrow gauge layout. 

The odd thing is that there is a potentially good spot for a French exhibition in the north and that is Harrogate, which holds regular French Property exhibitions. As I mentioned earlier, working with another organisation with French connections might help. I am also sure that one of the French organisations in London might help, as there is a lot of support from different organisations in France to run model railway exhibitions(something I heard via the twinning mentioned above).

There is something in the idea that membership tends to be mainly based around where it is organised. I have recently joined the 5.5mm/ft club, which has its base in the north west, so tends t get more interest there. It is easier for club members to attend local shows so that promotes the club locally.

The recently formed European group has two bases , one south and one more north, and so they can spread over a bigger area. Their annual show is in Birmingham(I have been invited for this year). It would be a bit far, just to visit I think, and last year the weather was not very good. There is another annual European show in Yorkshire, I went once, but it always seems to clash with something else, so have not been for a while.

In fact I would much rather see a better spread of layouts, different scales, gauges and more importantly countries at every exhibition. This is getting better, but I still get the feeling that some just want to ignore anything that is not British outline.

I am still hoping to get down to Lenham, I saw it on signpost on way down to the Shuttle last week, so I don't really want to drive. It will have to be the overnight bus, then train. It would probably be more difficult to get to other parts of UK by public transport. Mind you compared to France, the UK is easy. Only when I started driving over in France dis I appreciate how big the country was. My house in Britain is actually closer to Paris than my house in France(but the weather is better so musn't grumble too much, except when it is too hot to do anything!).

Simons layout is over here now for some reason ? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112958-new-ho-layout-using-3-boxfiles/

Presumably this thread has deviated too much from the original post ?

BTW has nobody thought that perhaps the reason so many SNCF society members are in the South East, is that it is closest to France and the main access point ie. the Channel Tunnel ?

Edited by unklian

I moved my thread simply because it fitted in with the mini layout/boxfile section better. I was only announcing the challenge here, and it did then go a bit off track.

Closeness to France is not a factor in why more are interested in south east. Granted we did not have the Shuttle then, but I grew up in the south east, and never went across to France until we moved further away and then went on a family holiday on aunt/uncle's boat to Brittany.

Anywhere easy train distance to London, is now easy to get to France.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

At the risk of stirring things a bit, it's a chicken and egg situation. Organise everything in the far South-East and that's where your membership will be.

Didcot sounds like a very good choice of venue as easily accessible to most of Southern England as well as the Midlands and North. But even in London there are cheaper venues available for a small show/get-together such as this.

PS: David, I have organised an SNCFS event in the past for the South-West.

Hi Joseph

Did you get much support from local members in organising it and was it a  one-off or were you able to make it regular?

The GRS used to hold its annual show in Oxford till the venue there became unavailable and it then moved to Sutton Coldfield. Didcot was new but I had the impression that it was having members in the Oxford area willing to stage it that had made it possible.

There's only one regular SNCFS event- the winter rendezvous- that takes place in the far South East (Kent) and I don't think  that's ever precluded others.

When I first joined the Society it was at what I think was an annual members' event in City Road London but there also used to be a fairly regular show in Newmarket. Again I think that was really down to someone in that area organising it. 

Edited by Pacific231G

• 1 month later...

I am hoping to enter this three-box file competition. With that in mind, does anyone know of a (very) small turntable made in HO/OO gauge? I have in mind something to turn a short autorail but not a full-length steam engine.